The Student Room Group

What is the smartest A-Level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gracelich
I got an A at AS, and predicted an A at A2. But I think there is such a massive jump from AS to A2, in terms of the range of vocab and essay writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get a gcse french? And if I got a/a* would that mean I'll do well at as?
Definitely chemistry.

Maths is easy 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry, despite me getting an A overall.

Biology requires a different approach, more based on exam technique rather than understanding the material well.
Reply 23
Chemistry or Physics.
Reply 24
Everybody knows Chemistry is harder than Physics.

The two hardest A levels are Chemistry and Further Maths.
Majority of people have told me it's Physics or Maths.

I do OCR Salters Chemistry though, and everyone I've ever told has winced at that. Guess that's one A Level I definitely shouldn't have high hopes for.

It depends on the person really.
Original post by TheCynicalChild
Majority of people have told me it's Physics or Maths.

I do OCR Salters Chemistry though, and everyone I've ever told has winced at that. Guess that's one A Level I definitely shouldn't have high hopes for.

It depends on the person really.

That's the one that my school offer as well, going to do it next year :ninja: Should I be afraid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure Chemistry and Physics are hard but in Further maths you cover stuff that you do at university level.
Defo chemistry and biology

Posted from TSR Mobile
It really depends on what subjects you are taking / took. To me, I dislike maths so I will say Further math will be the hardest subject. (Though I got an A* in A-level Maths) :biggrin: I didn't take Further Math but I did have a glimpse at the past year questions. It looked totally foreign to me!! Didn't even know how to solve a single question.

Conclusion: there is no so-called 'hardest' A-level subject, you can always earn your A/A* by hard work in any subjects!
Original post by majmuh24
That's the one that my school offer as well, going to do it next year :ninja: Should I be afraid?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AS isn't that bad, and I have to say, the content is actually really interesting. The worst thing about it though is the exam technique-they always manage to come up with weird, twisted and sneaky little questions that throw a lot of people. I got a B in AS and I think that was purely down to exam technique-memorising keywords in questions and model answers.

If you carry on at A2 though...it's the coursework that is an absolute killer. We started it at the end of Year 12 and we're still not finished.

On the bright side, it's regarded highly by universities and if you decide to do it at as a degree, it covers some core first year modules.
Original post by Pip1309
1) Disappointed psychology isn't a contender when it's much harder than sociology.
2) Surely the most respected (and therefore hardest) A level is maths/further maths, just look at university websites.

Thumbs up for your 1st point. Not really many people can get A* for Psychology.
Original post by applicant2014

I thought AS Psych was supposedly harder than A2 Psych?

Or is it a case of propaganda that A2 is both interesting and comparatively easy?
Reply 33

I know right, can get an A* in my sleep for sociology, psychology is going to be tough to get that top grade. The examiners are just too harsh on those papers.
Original post by JAIYEKO
What I mean by the smartest is which a level will be most respected if you said you got an A* in? Or in other hand, which subject would you need the most knowledge in to excel

English Language
English Literature
Further Maths
Single Mathematics
Use of Mathematics
Physics
History
Biology
Chemistry
Law
Geography
Geology
IT
DT
French
Spanish
German
Art
Photography
Food
Economics
Accounting
Business
Dance
Drama
Government and Politics
General Studies
PE
Sociology
Physiology
And Music?

Maths is solid.
It is very respected though.
Original post by Pip1309
I know right, can get an A* in my sleep for sociology, psychology is going to be tough to get that top grade. The examiners are just too harsh on those papers.

Are you still taking A-level? I completed mine last year Oct/Nov. :smile: Btw, I took CIE A-level not edexcel's. I'm not sure whether there is any difference in our syllabuses. I learned abnormal psychology and educational psychology at A2 level. What about you?
Reply 36
Are you still taking A-level? I completed mine last year Oct/Nov. :smile: Btw, I took CIE A-level not edexcel's. I'm not sure whether there is any difference in our syllabuses. I learned abnormal psychology and educational psychology at A2 level. What about you?

Yeah I'm in year 13 at the moment, taking AQA psychology and sociology then Edexcel maths. At A2 we do Schizophrenia, Media Psychology, Research Methods, Aggression, Eating Behaviour and Gender. Big topics with 24 mark essays on each.
Original post by TheCynicalChild
I thought AS Psych was supposedly harder than A2 Psych?

Or is it a case of propaganda that A2 is both interesting and comparatively easy?

I personally think A2 is harder than AS Psychology.
AS Psycho was more interesting as there were some journals researching on topics which captivated me. ( Bystander apathy, characteristics of a liar, dissociative identity disorder aka mmultiple personality disorder ) I found it interesting so it wasn't that hard to me. A2 looked dull to me. The requirements of the examiners were insane. The time alloted wasn't sufficient. The topics didn't seem to be appealing me.
Original post by Pip1309
Yeah I'm in year 13 at the moment, taking AQA psychology and sociology then Edexcel maths. At A2 we do Schizophrenia, Media Psychology, Research Methods, Aggression, Eating Behaviour and Gender. Big topics with 24 mark essays on each.

I did schizophrenia as well under abnormal psychology. :smile: wow, 24 marks essays on each topic? That's really overwhelming!! How many sections do you have in your paper? Mine got 3. The last section is the most challenging chunk, requiring us to create a new study to investigate on something they ask in the question.

Anyway, good luck to you!! :smile: I wish you all the best! :wink:
Reply 39
I did schizophrenia as well under abnormal psychology. :smile: wow, 24 marks essays on each topic? That's really overwhelming!! How many sections do you have in your paper? Mine got 3. The last section is the most challenging chunk, requiring us to create a new study to investigate on something they ask in the question.

Anyway, good luck to you!! :smile: I wish you all the best! :wink:

3 sections per paper, 2 papers to do in June. Thanks :smile: same to you with what you're doing now!

Quick Reply

Latest