The Student Room Group

Maths and Physics joint honours - Birmingham vs Warwick

Hey all.

As the title says.. I am really struggling to decide which University to choose for my first choice.I've weighed some things that I know about the universities:

Warwick Cons/Pros:
+ Amazing Maths rep
+ That prestige and research rating!
+ Societies and the SU look really great
+ Very nice campus
+ Costs are somewhat cheaper for Coventry
- Further away
- Absolutely adamant on the A* in Maths (anybody can slip up tbh)
- Not as good rep as Birmingham for Physics? Not sure if this is one..
- Supposedly intensive first year for the Maths part of the course to cover all core modules
- A bit away from the city
- Costs more to get there and home
- (Probably) not as many busaries available as Birmingham for me.

Birmingham Cons/Pros:
+ Closer to home
+ Access scheme offer, A*AC (a bit silly, but still)
+ Bursaries from said access scheme
+ Very great Physics rep
+ In the middle of Birmingham city centre
+ MIGHT not be as adamant on the A* in Maths (unsure about this one, will find out on the open day)
- Nice campus but not as nice as Warwick's IMO
- Not as good Maths rep
- More expensive

Will update this as I find more.. but from what I gather, Birmingham is easier to get in for me due to my Access scheme offer but Warwick want similair grades (if only slightly higher due to the access scheme) and are far better at Mathematics.

Both courses seem very nice for me as there is only a little practical work and both are run by very respectable departments.

I am torn between :frown: I really like both universities but I feel I like Warwick more as a campus than Birmingham but I am a bit daunted by the whole apparent difficulty of the course compared to Birmingham, that's not to say it's a lot easier though! Birmingham does feel like a safer option though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
1- what job are you looking to have in the future
2- how far from warwick

Warwick's maths courses are tough dont compare them to Birmingham they are similar to imperial/ oxbridge courses based on intensity

source : cousin at lse and another cousin at imperial ( maths ).
Warwick definitely..although depends what you're looking for. But expect hard times...
I think maths/physics course is harder than straight maths at warwick even though people will probably disagree..and for some reasons maths/physics folks are looked down a bit lol. It seems that pretty much all modules in year 1 and 2 are core and include all main maths module for maths/phy whereas for straight maths there's a bunch of choices one can make. The only real tough module in my opinion that maths/physics won't have to do in year 2 is algebra II.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending