The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

How competitive is Warwick for these courses?

Hi im a gap year student at the moment and will be applying to uni courses.
I am currently interested in Data science at Warwick.
In my A levels i achieved an A in A level maths, Distinction in BTEC IT (equivalent to A) and a C in Physics.
now i am self studying A level further maths and am hoping for an A*.
will i be able to apply to this course or Discrete mathematics at Warwick, its best to find out now otherwise its just a wasted option.
Yes it's quite competitive I gather, as with all their maths/stats/CS/joint honours in those two subjects courses.

Note the standard requirement is "A*A*A including A*A* in A-level Maths and Further Maths" or requires you to take STEP or TMUA. So something to be aware of. At present if you don't take TMUA before applying (you have until the end of the month to register for it), you would need to take STEP in order to meet any potential offer and get a 2 at least in one of the papers, along with A* in FM.

You don't need to decide whether to apply to Warwick until January 25th 2024 though, so I would recommend registering for the TMUA and see how your results are and then decide.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes it's quite competitive I gather, as with all their maths/stats/CS/joint honours in those two subjects courses.

Note the standard requirement is "A*A*A including A*A* in A-level Maths and Further Maths" or requires you to take STEP or TMUA. So something to be aware of. At present if you don't take TMUA before applying (you have until the end of the month to register for it), you would need to take STEP in order to meet any potential offer and get a 2 at least in one of the papers, along with A* in FM.

You don't need to decide whether to apply to Warwick until January 25th 2024 though, so I would recommend registering for the TMUA and see how your results are and then decide.

Okay thank you,
I am currently practicing for the TMUA and hopefully I do well.
I was looking at admissions statistics and saw that data science and discrete mathematics had pretty high offer rates.
Of course my case is unique, as I also have a BTEC. But given it’s in a relevant subject and I have an achieved grade of A in maths, and predicted A/A* in further maths, would it even be worth it or should I look at unis in my range? And could I get some recommendations to good courses In CS/AI/maths that I can apply to, as currently I’ve just been looking at warwick.
Warwick have a couple of open days in October - if you can afford it, perhaps pop along and ask the admissions people? You can also find out more about 5e course,see the campus and help you decide if Warwick is right for you.
Original post by Anonymous
Okay thank you,
I am currently practicing for the TMUA and hopefully I do well.
I was looking at admissions statistics and saw that data science and discrete mathematics had pretty high offer rates.
Of course my case is unique, as I also have a BTEC. But given it’s in a relevant subject and I have an achieved grade of A in maths, and predicted A/A* in further maths, would it even be worth it or should I look at unis in my range? And could I get some recommendations to good courses In CS/AI/maths that I can apply to, as currently I’ve just been looking at warwick.

The maths courses with STEP conditions all have high offer rates at Warwick - the flagship maths course, which is extraordinarily competitive, in pre-COVID times had an offer rate of over 90%. However, all the offers had the STEP condition attached, and most failed to achieve that - and they were extremely inflexible on results day for "near miss" applicants. It's important to recognise that a high offer rate does not necessarily imply a high success rate for applications, especially where things like STEP or other admissions tests are involved!

They state they consider a BTEC with 2 A-levels including maths, so in principle you will be considered.

"AI" is a misnomer really and it's just applied statistics - so any stats heavy maths/CS course will be suitable preparation to continue in that area if you so desire.

Generally good maths courses outside of Warwick include Oxbridge, Imperial, and Bristol. They also all have good CS courses and all except Cambridge have joint maths and CS degrees. All are extremely competitive of course though. Outside of those, Edinburgh has a very strong CS course; Bath has a good maths course, focuses more on applied/applicable maths but that seems more aligned to your interests; Birmingham/Manchester/UCL all worth considering as well (UCL's joint honours CS and maths course is called mathematical computation - skews slightly more towards the CS side than hte maths side). Southampton and Sheffield also have good CS and/or maths courses and might be good "backup" options for the others.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
The maths courses with STEP conditions all have high offer rates at Warwick - the flagship maths course, which is extraordinarily competitive, in pre-COVID times had an offer rate of over 90%. However, all the offers had the STEP condition attached, and most failed to achieve that - and they were extremely inflexible on results day for "near miss" applicants. It's important to recognise that a high offer rate does not necessarily imply a high success rate for applications, especially where things like STEP or other admissions tests are involved!

They state they consider a BTEC with 2 A-levels including maths, so in principle you will be considered.

"AI" is a misnomer really and it's just applied statistics - so any stats heavy maths/CS course will be suitable preparation to continue in that area if you so desire.

Generally good maths courses outside of Warwick include Oxbridge, Imperial, and Bristol. They also all have good CS courses and all except Cambridge have joint maths and CS degrees. All are extremely competitive of course though. Outside of those, Edinburgh has a very strong CS course; Bath has a good maths course, focuses more on applied/applicable maths but that seems more aligned to your interests; Birmingham/Manchester/UCL all worth considering as well (UCL's joint honours CS and maths course is called mathematical computation - skews slightly more towards the CS side than hte maths side). Southampton and Sheffield also have good CS and/or maths courses and might be good "backup" options for the others.

Wouldn’t my C in Physics make them look down at me? Also I need to be mindful of my BTEC as unis like imperial/UCL don’t even accept them :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest