The Student Room Group

Utilizing admission stats

Ok, so I won't be applying to medicine until next year but I just wanted to know from anyone if it is advisable to apply to the 5 med schools with the best admission/acceptable ratios? Medicine is a very competitive course and the prospect of being rejected from all 5 choices even with good A-levels is very real.

Do you have any opinions on this? Is it the right stance to take? Is applying to a uni because I am more likely to get in a good sole reason? Are any medicine courses actually any better or worse than another (I know Oxbridge will be less clinically-orientated, but does it realllyy matter where you study medicine?
Reply 1
Original post by hi-zen-berg
Ok, so I won't be applying to medicine until next year but I just wanted to know from anyone if it is advisable to apply to the 5 med schools with the best admission/acceptable ratios? Medicine is a very competitive course and the prospect of being rejected from all 5 choices even with good A-levels is very real.

Do you have any opinions on this? Is it the right stance to take? Is applying to a uni because I am more likely to get in a good sole reason? Are any medicine courses actually any better or worse than another (I know Oxbridge will be less clinically-orientated, but does it realllyy matter where you study medicine?

Answers to all your questions are in the TSR Medicine wiki :smile:: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

Don't apply to the ones with the lowest competition ratios - those stats are fairly useless. However it would be a good idea to tactically apply based on the selection criteria of each med school as this will influence your chances massively.
Reply 2

Also, don't forget you can only apply to 4 medical schools :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3

You are going to have to look at the courses of each uni to figure them out. Some unis have more options for intercalated degrees while others don't. Some have dissection and others don't. Some have more PBL and others more lectures. Some unis put less focus on research than others. Some unis have more opportunities in different specialties (not every hospital has transplant units (you can find all this info on the transplant UK website). Some are 6 years while others give you the option.

I would advise to apply to 1 reach or 2 semi reach and 2-3 safeties. This can change depending on how confident you feel about getting a place.
Reply 4

Obviously applying to less competitive schools gives you a better chance theoretically but only if your application suits them eg if your gcse's and ukcat are a weaker point there'd be no point applying to universities such as Queen's which has one of the lower competition ratios as they value those factors highly.
It's also worth considering that some unis have lower competition ratios simply because they have far more places on offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending