The Student Room Group

I'm a crying mess, cried in front of a teacher today and I'm so embarrassed :(

I'm 18. Today at school my teacher was asking us students random question about our parents and stuff. My mom died 8 years ago and it's still so hard for me to talk about it. So when this teacher started asking about parents I tried my best to avoid eye contact and to busy myself with "work" but she asked me anyway. When she asked about my mom I just stared at her for a while then started crying and said she passed away. The teacher then started trying to comfort me by saying stuff like "she would be so proud of you" which of course only made me cry more.

I cried pretty hard even though I was trying SO hard to hold it in, and now I don't know how I'll ever face that teacher again :frown:

Did you ever cry in front of your teacher as a teen? (esp. an older teen)
I've cried in front of teachers, lecturers, employers, etc. You're only human, and humans have emotions. Just go to your next lesson as normal. Chances are she probably won't even care that you cried. You won't have be the first and you won't be the last.
let it all out, it's good to express emotions.
your emotions are only natural and normal, its better to cry than bottle it up. :smile:
I've cried more times than I care to remember, it's okay, it's better to let it all out than keep it locked inside :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18. Today at school my teacher was asking us students random question about our parents and stuff. My mom died 8 years ago and it's still so hard for me to talk about it. So when this teacher started asking about parents I tried my best to avoid eye contact and to busy myself with "work" but she asked me anyway. When she asked about my mom I just stared at her for a while then started crying and said she passed away. The teacher then started trying to comfort me by saying stuff like "she would be so proud of you" which of course only made me cry more.

I cried pretty hard even though I was trying SO hard to hold it in, and now I don't know how I'll ever face that teacher again :frown:

I haven't cried in front of teachers but don't worry what other people think of you. Sorry for you loss.
Just concentrate on the work and if you feel comfortable talk to the teacher and just explain your situation.
Nevertheless, don't worry about it :smile:
I went on a school trip to Auschwitz when I was 16 and my friends had to get our teacher because I started crying about all the people dying and suffering and I didn't want to go. Don't worry. I'd be more concerned if you weren't upset about your mum passing away. I'm very sorry for your loss too *hugs*
Don't worry, I cried in front of a teacher I really dislike simply because I was stressed and fed up with everything, it'll be okay, I promise! I'm sorry to hear about your mum :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Funny thing.

I cried in front of teachers when I was 5. I cried in front of them when I was 13. And I cried in front of them when I was 17 (long story about that one). All of those times I was incredibly embarrassed.

This past month I cried in front of one of my lecturers twice and I'm 23. I haven't been embarrassed about it at all because I'm finally mature enough to understand that crying isn't a bad thing to do in front of anyone who isn't an *******.
Reply 9
Thank you all for your replies..I know it's normal human behaviour to cry, I just never wanted to cry in front of my whole class and teacher. But it's okay, hoping tomorrow goes by without any awkwardness :smile:

I am known as the class cryer :smile: I'm just really sensitive and I have social anxiety too, so it makes everything worse when people ask you what is wrong because you want them to go away, as them seeing you crying is almost as worse as the initial cause of crying.
So last year around this time I had this English teacher who was really funny and he liked me a lot because I was a pretty hard worker. He's also known to criticise other's work really harshly (and occasionally makes jokes about them). So we had to do this roleplay thing once where we'd be assessed, and quite frankly my group had done little to no work. So when we got on to perform the first thing the rest of my class did was laugh at us, then I was forced to say my lines despite being awful at drama. So the after the whole ordeal, he goes and starts criticising and laughing at every single problem that we knew already. Then he praised the one girl in my group who had done the least work out of all of us. I couldn't take it and broke down into tears. Thankfully we were last so I managed to get out of the classroom before I started an embarrassing bout of hiccups and lock myself in the toilet, but a few people noticed and in short I spent the whole of the next lesson sniffing and crying, by which point everyone knew. I still blame my defective drama skills to this day
This other time, I was sitting in a cover lesson with period cramps that literally make the metaphor 'a knife twisting one's gut' come to life. After a silent debate in my head lasting ten minutes, I plucked up the courage to ask to go to medical to get some paracetamol, only I told the cover teacher that I was feeling ill because the real circumstances were a little awkward. So she replied that I couldn't because I had been 'well enough to chat and laugh a few minutes ago' and that stung so much that I literally stared at her, opened my mouth, closed it, then I broke down into tears. I mean, her reaction probably would have been different if I had listed my problem explicitly, but anyways I tried hiding the fact that I was crying and it was all going particularly well, except I had a cold too so i started getting a runny nose. By which point I had started a spectacular round of sniffing and alerted half the class that I was crying. So she realised when one of my friends put her hand up and told her I was crying, then apologised, but, GODDARN my brain, I continued crying as she signed my medical room form :tongue: *cringe* at least I got the parecetomol in the end.
Reply 11
I've cried on two occasions.
2012 when I was at my lowest, severely depressed, I was feeling like rubbish and I recall it was a maths lesson where we were using pens, I was putting mine back and I asked someone if they wanted me to help them. She got really snappy and I just remember standing there and all the control I had was gone, I cried and ended up shouting at people, I sat in my seat and the teacher dismissed the lesson, I remember everyone in my year was huddled outside because I always have and will have this confidence to me, this attitude which suggests: Everything's good. I remember screaming 'Stop staring at me like I'm an freak'
Awful time.
And in June, I confided in several teachers about my exam fears and on Monday 9th June, I cried before maths.
I'm not ashamed to say any of that. And you shouldn't be :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Don't worry, I cried in front of a teacher I really dislike simply because I was stressed and fed up with everything, it'll be okay, I promise! I'm sorry to hear about your mum :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did that once too.. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest