The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Best accomodation to apply for at Aston?

Hi guys
Any idea's on which accomodation to apply for in terms of distance/room/social life? I had a look at only one kind on a visit as the rest had students in them. Also, for any current Aston pharmacy students - where's the closest accomodation for lectures?

I am going to firm my offer for Pharmacy within the next few weeks.

We could use this thread as a discussion on accomodation :smile:
Any help would be widely appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
I'm not a current student but a prospective student like you.
When I went for an open day it seemed that all of the accomodations are on campus and in about a 2 minute walk from lecture theatures and facilities. I was just going to go for the cheapest accomodation because all of them are quite modern and ensuite but obviously the rest depends on your personal taste.
A map of the accomodation in relation to the campus can be found on the website: Here's the link to the PDF: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEsQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww1.aston.ac.uk%2FEasySiteWeb%2FGatewayLink.aspx%3FalId%3D9929&ei=I5YPU5T_EqL30gX5sYCAAQ&usg=AFQjCNF337Wtl49kOyJO7XXzp2OYWyetgw&sig2=ojQrBfNJUwquBgCtrz-3wg&bvm=bv.61965928,d.d2k
Hope that helps.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Hey, I'm a current first year student at Aston, so thought I'd be helpful with this :smile:

Campus accommodation is no more than a 5 minute walk to the main building where as a pharmacy student you'll have your lectures.

I'm in 7 bed new build accommodation this year and it's been great in terms of social life but I think it's more down to the people. I know people in the 5 bed flats and Lakeside who also have great social lives too. With such a small campus you won't be far from other people you meet on your course and on nights out.

All the rooms are well maintained and have everything you'll need for university life. The curtains in Lakeside are somewhat questionable!

Anything else feel free to reply on this thread or drop me a message :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by bobbobbobbb
Hey, I'm a current first year student at Aston, so thought I'd be helpful with this :smile:

Campus accommodation is no more than a 5 minute walk to the main building where as a pharmacy student you'll have your lectures.

I'm in 7 bed new build accommodation this year and it's been great in terms of social life but I think it's more down to the people. I know people in the 5 bed flats and Lakeside who also have great social lives too. With such a small campus you won't be far from other people you meet on your course and on nights out.

All the rooms are well maintained and have everything you'll need for university life. The curtains in Lakeside are somewhat questionable!

In what I've heard so far, are the accomadation expensive? (In halls especially?)

Mobile
Original post by Peju
In what I've heard so far, are the accomadation expensive? (In halls especially?)

Mobile

The rents for halls have been reduced quite substantially for 2014/15, I'm not sure of the prices for the new academic year. Bear in mind though that you'll also have your high speed internet included, as well as cleaning (kitchen and en suites) and maintenance services.

Other nearby accommodation tends (Sanctuary students, Unite, Mansion Student) to work out cheaper per week, but more expensive over the year due to the length of contract - just something to be wary of. None of these seem to include cleaning services either. Being in the city centre can mean that prices are a little inflated.

I'd recommend campus accommodation at least for the first year. Just remember to work out the full cost and check how much you're going to have from your loans, grants etc.
Reply 5
Hi, I'm just curious so what is it like in terms of fun with the flatmates is boring, lively, crazy, I know it would get serious when its time for exams and so on. But is it quiet or loud etc...
Original post by Dee-D
Hi, I'm just curious so what is it like in terms of fun with the flatmates is boring, lively, crazy, I know it would get serious when its time for exams and so on. But is it quiet or loud etc...

Personally my flat is quite varied. We've been known to have some totally wild nights and many quiet nights in too.

Certainly rarely get bored when with my flatmates. For me it's a good balance of loud and quiet. Never have a problem with getting work done and never am stuck for nights out and such either.

If it does ever get too loud at unreasonable times (like noise from other flats etc) then security are on hand 24/7 to deal with that sort of thing for you.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by bobiscool
Hi,
I'm not a current student but a prospective student like you.
When I went for an open day it seemed that all of the accomodations are on campus and in about a 2 minute walk from lecture theatures and facilities. I was just going to go for the cheapest accomodation because all of them are quite modern and ensuite but obviously the rest depends on your personal taste.
A map of the accomodation in relation to the campus can be found on the website: Here's the link to the PDF: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEsQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww1.aston.ac.uk%2FEasySiteWeb%2FGatewayLink.aspx%3FalId%3D9929&ei=I5YPU5T_EqL30gX5sYCAAQ&usg=AFQjCNF337Wtl49kOyJO7XXzp2OYWyetgw&sig2=ojQrBfNJUwquBgCtrz-3wg&bvm=bv.61965928,d.d2k
Hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there. All the accomodation seemed nice on the visit, I think 5 bed accomodation seems ideal for myself (William Murdoch / James Watt / Harriet Martineau / Mary Sturge). Lakeside seems nice in terms of view but 10 people would seem a bit too crowded in my opinion.
How is the accomodation sorted? Am I guaranteed accomodation as firm choice? Are there certain flats with less social life/room? Or are they all the same? (Also minimal noise would be ideal)

Also my brother is also going to firm Aston so would I need to ring up beforehand to see if we can be put in same accom?

Thanks

EDIT: Also how/when do I find out how much I will be getting from loans and grants, so I know how much is left over? (Haven't sent off student finance yet)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by spanishovenfork
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there. All the accomodation seemed nice on the visit, I think 5 bed accomodation seems ideal for myself (William Murdoch / James Watt / Harriet Martineau / Mary Sturge). Lakeside seems nice in terms of view but 10 people would seem a bit too crowded in my opinion.
How is the accomodation sorted? Am I guaranteed accomodation as firm choice? Are there certain flats with less social life/room? Or are they all the same? (Also minimal noise would be ideal)

Also my brother is also going to firm Aston so would I need to ring up beforehand to see if we can be put in same accom?

Thanks

EDIT: Also how/when do I find out how much I will be getting from loans and grants, so I know how much is left over? (Haven't sent off student finance yet)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile:

Although I can't specify exactly how accommodation is allocated - simply because I don't know, I'll try my best to answer your questions.

I believe if Aston is your firm choice then you are guaranteed accommodation providing that you apply for the halls of residences before the accommodation deadline, however I cannot say for certain so it is always best to check beforehand.

I'm sure there are flats with less of a social life however this would be mostly down to who is in your flat. A facebook group is usually set up by the SU for Freshers so you can find your flatmates before moving in (and many unofficial groups will pop up too, still good for finding people).

Previously when you apply for your on campus accommodation there has been a box where you can request to be allocated the to the same flat as somebody else. Accommodation services will then try their best to put you into the same flat.

Ideally you need to complete your student finance application ASAP. This calculator will help to give you a rough idea of how much money you can expect from your loan (http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153%2C4680136&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL), although it may change once you have been fully assessed by the Student Loans Company.

Hope this helps.
Reply 10
Personally my flat is quite varied. We've been known to have some totally wild nights and many quiet nights in too.

Certainly rarely get bored when with my flatmates. For me it's a good balance of loud and quiet. Never have a problem with getting work done and never am stuck for nights out and such either.

If it does ever get too loud at unreasonable times (like noise from other flats etc) then security are on hand 24/7 to deal with that sort of thing for you.

Hope this helps :smile:

You're awesome thank youu:smile:
Original post by Dee-D
You're awesome thank youu:smile:

when i went for the open day i saw some many chavs on their push bikes loool, but yeah i guess it is a good uni just some what of a rough area i suppose. apply for the 5beds as they are bigger!!
Hey :smile:

Although I can't specify exactly how accommodation is allocated - simply because I don't know, I'll try my best to answer your questions.

I believe if Aston is your firm choice then you are guaranteed accommodation providing that you apply for the halls of residences before the accommodation deadline, however I cannot say for certain so it is always best to check beforehand.

I'm sure there are flats with less of a social life however this would be mostly down to who is in your flat. A facebook group is usually set up by the SU for Freshers so you can find your flatmates before moving in (and many unofficial groups will pop up too, still good for finding people).

Previously when you apply for your on campus accommodation there has been a box where you can request to be allocated the to the same flat as somebody else. Accommodation services will then try their best to put you into the same flat.

Ideally you need to complete your student finance application ASAP. This calculator will help to give you a rough idea of how much money you can expect from your loan (http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153%2C4680136&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL), although it may change once you have been fully assessed by the Student Loans Company.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, you've been so helpful! Is it normal for rent to exceed your maintenance loan per year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spanishovenfork
Thank you so much, you've been so helpful! Is it normal for rent to exceed your maintenance loan per year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a problem :smile:

Just had an ask of my flatmates and yes it's normal. For me it balances out by the end of the year. I would suggest looking at student bank accounts and setting up in advance as they have interest free overdrafts which will help with money shortfalls over the year.

Santander is really good because they give you a 4 year young persons railcard (and there's a branch in the uni)
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is anyone who is looking to buddy up to rent walking distance to Aston uni. Halls is too expensive and I really doint want all my student loan to go on rent. There is two of us and we are looking for 2-4 people to live with. We are both socailable and like the usual stuff like going out, cinema, restaurants etc... We are looking for people are clean, tidy and respectful and not having parties every night.

I would put my phone number on here, but Im dont want spam calls. If you sound like something your looking for too, please PM me with your details.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks
Reply 15
Hi guys,

Does anyone have the telephone numbers for the various houses. When I call the main 0800 number the people are really arsy so I want to speak to the hall managers directly if poss.

Thanks a bunch.
Anyone firmed Aston and sorted out accomodation yet? If so, where abouts? I am just waiting for my final offer then I will be firming Aston

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I am currently looking for an accommodation as well, not sure if I want to stay on campus, but I would love somewhere with an en-suite bathroom and is not too far from the uni
Hi guys Im not sure if my personal messages is working properly as Ive tried to send messages but it isnt coming up. Please send me an email to [email protected] if you want to buddy up to get a house near to the uni/bham city centre. Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Will I get my guaranteed accomodation as firm choice, even if I firm them late?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest