The Student Room Group

Is going to university impossible?

I just read online that 2/3 of my subjects are on 'blacklists' or are considered soft subjects. I go to a pretty bad sixth form that always spoke highly of my subjects but the teaching was very poor.

I am in the second year of sixth form and intended on getting A*A*A (in ICT/Product Design/Maths) and 'hoped' to apply for Cambridge. My school has never had an A (let alone A*) student in ICT or Product Design but they predict I'll be the first.

1) Is it impossible to get into Cambridge? Honestly I only wanted to get in so that I could become an 'Oxbridge exception' and go into acting as I am not allowed to study acting. Parents want me to do Computer Science.

2) Is going to university futile? My mother just informed me (a little late, obviously) that I will never ever get into university and the only reason she has kept me in sixth form is so that she can get the child benefits until I am 18 (otherwise I'd be living with my father right now).

3) Anyone know of any career choices? I have essentially wasted 2 years of my life and I was saddened already that I'm growing old to get into the acting business already.

Many thanks,
A more-than-slightly disheartened sixth former x
You do realise that there are other universities in the world other than Cambridge and Oxford?
Maths is really weak bro

Do you even lift bro?
Original post by leonorago
My mother just informed me (a little late, obviously) that I will never ever get into university

Why the hell not?? Is she referring to just Oxbridge or university full stop?
Reply 4
'parents want me to do Computer Science'

it doesn't matter what your parents want you to do, you have to be passionate about the subject you are applying to do
Your parents want you to study computer science and your mother thinks you'll never get into university? They are sending you really mixed messages.
Reply 6
Original post by AlphaDog0127
Why the hell not?? Is she referring to just Oxbridge or university full stop?

She is referring to any university. She said I might as well drop out of college tomorrow since she knows I am not going anywhere.

I have had a look at other universities but my parents limited me on where I was allowed to go. My mother wanted me to study from home and get married before I hit 21. Yikes!

And my mother (who is pretty darn strict) keeps pushing me towards computer science because her new husband is in the business. But I absolutely hate the subject and anything to do with computers! Acting is out otherwise I'll get disowned (no kidding) .___.
Reply 7
What kind of mother is that

"My mother just informed me (a little late, obviously) that I will never ever get into university and the only reason she has kept me in sixth form is so that she can get the child benefits until I am 18"

YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT AND ACHIEVE ANYTHING !!!

Don't let anyone. Tell you else! Good luck and don't be sad you should be proud you will be the first one to get A*. At your school. Kids will look up to !!! Well, done!!!
I just read online that 2/3 of my subjects are on 'blacklists' or are considered soft subjects. I go to a pretty bad sixth form that always spoke highly of my subjects but the teaching was very poor.

I am in the second year of sixth form and intended on getting A*A*A (in ICT/Product Design/Maths) and 'hoped' to apply for Cambridge. My school has never had an A (let alone A*) student in ICT or Product Design but they predict I'll be the first.

1) Is it impossible to get into Cambridge? Honestly I only wanted to get in so that I could become an 'Oxbridge exception' and go into acting as I am not allowed to study acting. Parents want me to do Computer Science.

2) Is going to university futile? My mother just informed me (a little late, obviously) that I will never ever get into university and the only reason she has kept me in sixth form is so that she can get the child benefits until I am 18 (otherwise I'd be living with my father right now).

3) Anyone know of any career choices? I have essentially wasted 2 years of my life and I was saddened already that I'm growing old to get into the acting business already.

Many thanks,
A more-than-slightly disheartened sixth former x

Wanting to get into Cambridge to be an 'Oxbridge exception' is a ridiculous reason to apply. If you don't love the course you're applying for and the way of teaching, don't apply. Even if you did get in you'd realise you wouldn't be that much of an exception, the majority of students are from state schools. You probably won't get in to do computer science with those subjects.

If you're going to be predicted As obviously you will be able to get into uni, but think about what you want to do in life and whether a degree is the best step to achieve it. Acting is very tough to get into, you could do a drama degree but there are lots more drama graduates than there are well paid acting jobs. Experience and talent are more important than a degree in this field. Realistically you'd have to get another job and then go to auditions for acting jobs.

Is there anything else you'd like to do? You're A levels seem IT/technology based and that's a growing field, you do a degree related to that (although not at Oxbridge) and maybe start your own business or join a big company.
She is referring to any university. She said I might as well drop out of college tomorrow since she knows I am not going anywhere.

I have had a look at other universities but my parents limited me on where I was allowed to go. My mother wanted me to study from home and get married before I hit 21. Yikes!

And my mother (who is pretty darn strict) keeps pushing me towards computer science because her new husband is in the business. But I absolutely hate the subject and anything to do with computers! Acting is out otherwise I'll get disowned (no kidding) .___.

Study what YOU want to study. With grades like what you have predicted you'll have no problem getting into a University. At the end of the day it's you who will be paying back the student debt - might as well be for something you enjoy and are passionate about!
Reply 10
Thanks for your support guys! I really did feel awful as everything in life just seemed to crumble and aiming to get into university and away from everything was the only glimmer of hope I had!

I intended on taking a gap year because I wanted to find a job and do things before I commit to a university. I achieved a C in History as well as a C in Government and Politics. I am pretty shaken up about what I want to do. I just wish my school told me that product design and ICT were worthless before edging me on to take them at A2 instead of the written subjects >.<

So, is it worth retaking those subjects for an A and doing the AS and A2 in my gap year? Is that even possible?

I know this sounds harsh, but your parents are restricting you on what you are able to study at university. It's YOUR CHOICE on what subjects you study.
Best thing? Apply to your choice of university, at YOUR CHOICE OF SUBJECT (i.e. NOT computer science as you hate it!) Then when you do the Student Finance application (which pays the university the tuition fee), apply for the maximum possible Maintenance Loan. Using that money (that they will give you when you start) then go to the university and choose to stay there in accommodation at the university. Hence you are then away from your mother and have all the freedom of the world - and you certainly won't have this rubbish "marriage before 21" thing.

I don't think I'll get married before 21 - that's being married before the end of the 3rd year at uni! How ridiculous! You can live your own life how you want to - just live in accommodation at uni and get away from the strict walled garden that is your mother!
Reply 12
Original post by AlphaDog0127
Study what YOU want to study. With grades like what you have predicted you'll have no problem getting into a University. At the end of the day it's you who will be paying back the student debt - might as well be for something you enjoy and are passionate about!

It's easier said than done. Her mum obviously has a lot of control over her life and also most people want to please their parents, sometimes to their own expense. The wider consequences of going against her mum will obviously include lack of financial support and having to break away from family.
Im going to assume you're a woman. Im also going to assume your from indian/pakistani/middle east asian type of family, most likely muslim am i right?

There are still a lot of uniersities you can apply to and get into, i'm pretty sure. I would have hated going to cambridge/oxford, i would not have fit in and the workload would have been far too high. I dont care how great the job prospects would have been after, there are more important things in life.

Go to a university you really want to go to. Do what you really want to do. If you get a good grade in mathematics you will be able to get into a lot of good universities as it is regarded one of the strongest subjects for science/technical degrees.

Also, a little unrelated, but dont get yourself put into a forced marriage if you really dont want it. Finally, i would really say it is best to go to a uni far away from home. You will gain independence and little space to breath. In addition to this you really get to experience what uni is all about, commuting back and form from uni to home will really dull the experience imo. Uni is a lot more than lectures and doing what your mother is proposing will make it only about lectures.
Reply 14
My mother's side is traditional Pakistani. My father's side is British. And yes, family of Muslims ._. Which is why acting is seen as something worth disowning your daughter for (on my mothers side, my dad is pretty supportive but he doesn't want me to go to an acting university as it is unreliable). But man I love acting!

Do you think my subjects would be worthwhile in a university abroad?
Original post by rasberyl
It's easier said than done. Her mum obviously has a lot of control over her life and also most people want to please their parents, sometimes to their own expense. The wider consequences of going against her mum will obviously include lack of financial support and having to break away from family.

Having a lot of control over someone's life isn't normal between a mother/daughter relationship - I certainly wouldn't put up with it. If they were that controlling I wouldn't want to be with them anyway.

Unfortunately, a lack of financial support is something to consider - but remember that when you apply for Student Finance (for the tuition fee) you can also apply for a Maintenance Loan/Grant (the amount received depends on household income). Any loan/grant received in this manner can then be spent on things needed for university - which in this case, would be for student accommodation.

And remember that any loans from Student Finance don't need to be paid until you're earning at least £21,000 per year.

In terms of university - you don't want to study something you're not interested in, as it would be very boring indeed. My advice? You are your main priority, so get out of that walled garden and reach for the subject you want to study! If her mum wants her back she'll have to accept her choices in life.

Remember - you only live once. You'll only be at uni once - so choose what you want to choose, and nothing else. :smile: :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest