The Student Room Group

New To University.

I decided to start university after realising that I can do so much more with my talent (creative writing), rather than jump from one boring factory job to another (which I have been doing for almost three years now). I have had friends and family members go to university/are in university and most of the outcomes are good, not only for the educational purposes, but also for self esteem, freedom and friendship. I am doing this mainly all by myself as my parent is against me going to university, which means the help of finance from them is incredibly impossible. I have seen an accommodation that I would like to be a part of, but I really need to know my student finance status before applying for the place to stay, I’m currently working to save money for university so I can have a bit of help. I’m just praying that student finance is available soon, so I can already be prepared for September and also get financial help from others if needed/if my money is too low.
Original post by Paigeynr
I decided to start university after realising that I can do so much more with my talent (creative writing), rather than jump from one boring factory job to another (which I have been doing for almost three years now). I have had friends and family members go to university/are in university and most of the outcomes are good, not only for the educational purposes, but also for self esteem, freedom and friendship. I am doing this mainly all by myself as my parent is against me going to university, which means the help of finance from them is incredibly impossible. I have seen an accommodation that I would like to be a part of, but I really need to know my student finance status before applying for the place to stay, I’m currently working to save money for university so I can have a bit of help. I’m just praying that student finance is available soon, so I can already be prepared for September and also get financial help from others if needed/if my money is too low.

If you are over age 25, then you can apply for student finance as an independent student. If under 25, then your parents' income will need to be disclosed to get a higher amount of maintenance loan. You can get an idea of what you might get by using the following calculator:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

SFE applications are expected to open this month - keep an eye on this forum and I will post an update when they do.

If financial support is going to be an issue consider studying at a local uni and continue to live at home.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw

If you are over age 25, then you can apply for student finance as an independent student. If under 25, then your parents' income will need to be disclosed to get a higher amount of maintenance loan. You can get an idea of what you might get by using the following calculator:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

SFE applications are expected to open this month - keep an eye on this forum and I will post an update when they do.

If financial support is going to be an issue consider studying at a local uni and continue to live at home.

My parents won’t help me, so I have to do it myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending