The Student Room Group

Do I have enough GCSEs?!

Hi!
I am currently in year 11 and I am hoping to do a degree in economics or a degree largely related to economics. I am in a state comprehensive school called Christs College Finchley. I am taking eight GCSEs, they are:
Maths
English literature
English language
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
German
History
What I want to ask is will I be disadvantaged as I have taken only eight GCSEs? The reason I am asking this is because through research I have found that most people actually do around nine subjects.
Also, what A Level subjects would a university prefer for A Levels? I am currently thinking of taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. Is this subject combination strong enough and do you think I should replace any subjects?
I can also take five subject (depending on my GCSE grades), so if I do choose to take a fifth subject, what do you guys recommend?
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
:biggrin:
Original post by m0hd_J
Hi!
I am currently in year 11 and I am hoping to do a degree in economics or a degree largely related to economics. I am in a state comprehensive school called Christs College Finchley. I am taking eight GCSEs, they are:
Maths
English literature
English language
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
German
History
What I want to ask is will I be disadvantaged as I have taken only eight GCSEs? The reason I am asking this is because through research I have found that most people actually do around nine subjects.
Also, what A Level subjects would a university prefer for A Levels? I am currently thinking of taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. Is this subject combination strong enough and do you think I should replace any subjects?
I can also take five subject (depending on my GCSE grades), so if I do choose to take a fifth subject, what do you guys recommend?
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eight should be fine, so long as you get good grades in them and the standard A*-C in English and Maths. You've got a language in there too, so pass that and it looks impressive.

Your A Level combination sounds strong, someone from my school studied the same (dropped Economics after AS) and has an offer to study at LSE. All of those subjects are strong, and leave options open should you change your mind and instead choose to opt for something else.

I'd generally avoid taking five subjects, unless there's one you'd particularly like to do and you think it'd be advantageous to do so. Otherwise it'd just be unnecessary stress. It'd be better to get strong grades in 4 subjects than average grades in 5 subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending