The Student Room Group

Will my college make an exception for me if I fail both English and Maths

Hello! So over the past year of year 11 a lot of unfortunate events have taken place which I think will really impact my GCSE results and I'm worried that I won't be able to take the A levels I want to do.

These events include: bad attendance due to bullying trauma, no accommodation from the school for a smaller space to do my gcses even though I had panic attacks in the hall during my mocks because it was so overwhelming with so many people, my English teacher died 2 weeks before gcses, I didn't have a science teacher for 6 months as they had cancer and had a seizure in the school- leading to consistent supply teachers until the parents complained enough, lack of resources at home (I live in a household where we live on straight up benefits so textbooks and laptops aren't affordable), my mum went to hospital midway through gcses for a operation and I was left home alone with my younger brother for a week and came back to school to do English language paper 1 violently nauseas due to undercooked food.

I emailed the college I want to go to about how my grades may not be enough and how I might have to retake english language and maths and they responded that I'd have to take a level 3 extended course at another campus whilst retaking both but none of them appeal to me and I just really want to do the a levels no matter what to be honest. They don't know about my reasoning above but if I do end up failing both, what should I do to convince them to let me do what I wanna do?

(I also predict if I fail both I'll have 3 gcses as I only took 8 originally- also I think I'll get 3s in both if I do fail so it's not a far reach)
Original post by Erinlouhicks
Hello! So over the past year of year 11 a lot of unfortunate events have taken place which I think will really impact my GCSE results and I'm worried that I won't be able to take the A levels I want to do.

These events include: bad attendance due to bullying trauma, no accommodation from the school for a smaller space to do my gcses even though I had panic attacks in the hall during my mocks because it was so overwhelming with so many people, my English teacher died 2 weeks before gcses, I didn't have a science teacher for 6 months as they had cancer and had a seizure in the school- leading to consistent supply teachers until the parents complained enough, lack of resources at home (I live in a household where we live on straight up benefits so textbooks and laptops aren't affordable), my mum went to hospital midway through gcses for a operation and I was left home alone with my younger brother for a week and came back to school to do English language paper 1 violently nauseas due to undercooked food.

I emailed the college I want to go to about how my grades may not be enough and how I might have to retake english language and maths and they responded that I'd have to take a level 3 extended course at another campus whilst retaking both but none of them appeal to me and I just really want to do the a levels no matter what to be honest. They don't know about my reasoning above but if I do end up failing both, what should I do to convince them to let me do what I wanna do?

(I also predict if I fail both I'll have 3 gcses as I only took 8 originally- also I think I'll get 3s in both if I do fail so it's not a far reach)

Honestly I think it’s unlikely that they’ll consider that and let you take alevels before you’ve retaken the GCSEs, but are you not able to apply for special consideration if it’s not too late? I mean, if your teacher literally died and your mum was unwell, I think you should get consideration for that?
Reply 2
Original post by lkjhgfdsazxcvbnm
Honestly I think it’s unlikely that they’ll consider that and let you take alevels before you’ve retaken the GCSEs, but are you not able to apply for special consideration if it’s not too late? I mean, if your teacher literally died and your mum was unwell, I think you should get consideration for that?

How do I apply for special consideration?
Original post by Erinlouhicks
How do I apply for special consideration?

I haven’t personally applied before, but here https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/special-requirements/special-consideration#:~:text=The%20school%20or%20college%20must,or%20college%20in%20our%20calculations it says to speak to your schools exams officer - i would reccomend finding out who this is and asking to have a chat / email with them and explain the situation and maybe they can help you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest