The Student Room Group

Is it possible to work and study full time university

I will start university in September and was wondering if its possible to work more than 16 hours without studies being affected. I really want a first (2:1 min)

If your working how many hours do you work and how are you copying are you on track for atleast a 2:1

Is it easily do-able my course is a degree in Management

Whats the maximum you could cope with?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
It really depends on the course, work load and your ability to juggle it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I did 16 hours last year (2nd year) and in the run up to Christmas sometimes 18, and it was not easy, because with my course I had lectures every day. It was however manageable, and I am on track for a first. It just meant I had to be really good at managing my time and get as much done when I could. It would probably be easier if you could do an evening or two during the week rather than work weekends though; I work weekends, so basically last year I didn't have a free day for most of the year and that gets really tiring. I knew people who worked more than me, but I couldn't have done it; 16 hours was more than enough.

This year in final year, my dissertation work just takes up so much time and I've got other coursework to do around it, so I've had to go down to one eight hour shift and tbh, if I didn't need the money and to keep the job until the end of the year (so I can save up over the summer and get a transfer for doing my masters next year) I would probably not do it at all. I'm in uni almost 9-5, then I come home and do coursework most evenings. Then I work Saturdays, and my 'day off' is just an opportunity to do my shopping and laundry, try and keep on top of keeping my flat at least slightly clean, and get in some more solid time to work on my coursework.

But again, I know people who do more and manage fine. It really does depend on you and what your course is like-some people thrive on always being 'on the go' and just seem to juggle ten million things at once like it's easy, but if I didn't have a clear day off this year I'd go crazy. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
You want my advice? Do not. 8 hours on the Saturday is fine, but my advice still stands.
Reply 4
I worked first and second year (first year was sort of just working a couple of hours a week at family company to get experience) and in the second year I worked with one of my dad's friends for 16 hours a week but the hours were flexible, so some weeks I would scale it back if I was busy. I'm in my third year and i stopped working as being in uni Mon-Fri, the increase work load and other commitments meant I had very little time to work.

I'd personally say 16 hours may be a bit too much, but again it depends on your uni schedule. First year isn't challenging anyway, but you'd probably have to scale your hours back in years 2 and 3.
Original post by heidigirl
I did 16 hours last year (2nd year) and in the run up to Christmas sometimes 18, and it was not easy, because with my course I had lectures every day. It was however manageable, and I am on track for a first. It just meant I had to be really good at managing my time and get as much done when I could. It would probably be easier if you could do an evening or two during the week rather than work weekends though; I work weekends, so basically last year I didn't have a free day for most of the year and that gets really tiring. I knew people who worked more than me, but I couldn't have done it; 16 hours was more than enough.

This year in final year, my dissertation work just takes up so much time and I've got other coursework to do around it, so I've had to go down to one eight hour shift and tbh, if I didn't need the money and to keep the job until the end of the year (so I can save up over the summer and get a transfer for doing my masters next year) I would probably not do it at all. I'm in uni almost 9-5, then I come home and do coursework most evenings. Then I work Saturdays, and my 'day off' is just an opportunity to do my shopping and laundry, try and keep on top of keeping my flat at least slightly clean, and get in some more solid time to work on my coursework.

But again, I know people who do more and manage fine. It really does depend on you and what your course is like-some people thrive on always being 'on the go' and just seem to juggle ten million things at once like it's easy, but if I didn't have a clear day off this year I'd go crazy. :tongue:

Yh I think my course is around 10 hours teaching first and second year a week and third year is around 20 hrs maximum I think. What course are you doing?
I have worked since the start of my second year, and am now in my third. In my second year I worked two shifts per week, overnighters at the weekend, which wasn't ideal due to the lack of sleep. This year i've been working two-three evening or day shifts per week, and tbh three is too much, and as I get closer to exam time I may well ask for a few weeks off so I can focus on just the exams. I am on track for a first, or at least a high 2.1, and have also managed to balance a lot of extra curricular stuff around uni and my job, plus I commute to uni which takes up a lot of time, so it is definitely possible, especially as I am someone who gets started on essays and revision early so I never fall behind on anything, but it's not without stress and at times I wish I wasn't balancing so much and had more time to just chill and enjoy life like a lot of my uni peers seem to do. However, I do enjoy my job, and I am proud of the fact that I have managed to fit so much into the past few years and am still on track to get a good degree grade. I think people underestimate how much time you actually get at uni (course dependent of course), and a lot of it will be spent procrastinating (even with how busy I am I still waste far too much time like this!) but if you're smart about balancing things and just get on with work when you get it then you can fit an awful lot in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Statistically working more than 16 hours greatly increases the risk of a 2:2
Reply 8
Doing 20 this year, but only have about 12 contact hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending