The Student Room Group

Part time or full time masters?

Hi! Just looking for a little bit of advice.

I'm looking to start a MA in Event Design and Management in September. I currently work a very demanding job (over 50+ hours a week). I've been looking for advice on the number of hours between full-time and part-time courses. If id be able to work around 20 hours a week and complete a full-time MA and what the timetable looks like on a weekly basis.
Original post by grayceophelia1

I'm looking to start a MA in Event Design and Management in September. I currently work a very demanding job (over 50+ hours a week). I've been looking for advice on the number of hours between full-time and part-time courses. If id be able to work around 20 hours a week and complete a full-time MA and what the timetable looks like on a weekly basis.

For full-time courses, it really depends on you. A lot of students work to try make ends meet but you work a very demanding job and if you're not planning to take out a maintenance loan then a part-time course might be better however if you're going to take out a maintenance loan and bring your work hours down to 20, maybe 24 hours then full-time is still possible but it is highly dependent on you and your time-management and organisational skills.
Original post by grayceophelia1

Hey @grayceophelia1

It is very possible for you to pursue the full-time course whilst working scaled-back hours between 20-30hrs. However, you'll need to be very mindful of your time management and academic responsibilities. A full-time postgraduate course requires you to attend class during the day (or night in some cases) and dedicate at least 25 hours of time for self-study. On the other hand, if you choose to pursue the course part-time, you'll have a lot more flexibility. Part-time requires you to undertake 1-2 modules per semester whereas full-time has 3-4 modules per semester.

The decision really lies with yourself. You'll first need to figure out if it is possible for you to scale back the hours you currently work. That being said, have a conversation with your management team. Secondly, have a conversation with the university to find out if the course is demanding. Thirdly, as @JA03 said, you'll need to consider the cost associated with both.

It seems like q tough decision but YOU GOT THIS! I really hope this helps a bit. Wishing you all the best!

-Dennis :biggrin: (PhD Air Transport Management)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending