The Student Room Group

Volumes of Revolution Question help please! :(

math.jpg

I've managed to do 10 questions up until this one, where the limits are specified straight up and what f(x) is, but I guess this question is more applied and now I'm stuck :frown:
This does look confusing, but draw a diagram. If the height of the cone is h, the upper limit is h. The other limit is 0 because the line passes through the origin and that will become the vertex of the cone.

So square the equation of the line, integrate between the limits of h and 0 and then multiply by pi.
Original post by Angryification
This does look confusing, but draw a diagram. If the height of the cone is h, the upper limit is h. The other limit is 0 because the line passes through the origin and that will become the vertex of the cone.

So square the equation of the line, integrate between the limits of h and 0 and then multiply by pi.

not sure how I would integrate [(r/h)x]^2 ? the h squared denominator just makes me think you'd need a fancier method of integration than if there wasn't a fraction?
Reply 3
Original post by Lid-the-squid
not sure how I would integrate [(r/h)x]^2 ? the h squared denominator just makes me think you'd need a fancier method of integration than if there wasn't a fraction?

The r2h2\dfrac{r^2}{h^2} is just a constant

So you are just integrating x2x^2

Is there something wrong in this question? If the equation of the second line is x=r then surely the height of the generated cone would be r?
Reply 5
Original post by brianeverit
Is there something wrong in this question? If the equation of the second line is x=r then surely the height of the generated cone would be r?

Agreed, it should be x=h
Original post by Angryification

why isn't the upper limit r? because q says 'bounded by... the line x=r and the x-axis' ? I know that if I use h as the upper limit I get the right answer, bur I just don't get how I'd know to use it. thought the limits were on the x-axis, and isn't h, height, concerned with the y axis?

thanks
Reply 7
why isn't the upper limit r? because q says 'bounded by... the line x=r and the x-axis' ? I know that if I use h as the upper limit I get the right answer, bur I just don't get how I'd know to use it. thought the limits were on the x-axis, and isn't h, height, concerned with the y axis?

thanks

As brian and I have said - there seems to be an error in the question

Quick Reply

Latest