The Student Room Group

should prenups be obligatory/default?

Poll

do you agree?

i believe the prenup concept should be embedded in the law by default : each party keeps whatever money/assets they gained themselves in case of a divorce. if kids are involved there should be an arrangement where they are most comfortable but in no way should it allow the parent who gains custody to live off their former partner or exploit their personal gains (child support but no alimony or similar advantages). of course if the higher earning partner wishes to part with their house, assets or money and (instead of being forced by the authorities to do so) so his or her ex to maintain their lifestyle they would be free to do so. agree or disagree? i will make a poll. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
what do you think guys? :biggrin:
Reply 2
I think I agree... but I thought I disagreed before I opened this thread so I really don't know.
Reply 3
It would be nice to see men not being shafted so much in divorce courts, but I doubt it will take off to be honest.
I wouldn't be opposed to this as long as there was some sort of provision for a partner if both decide one should stay at home with the kids while the other works for however many years, taking into account lost earnings and career progression etc. Pretty hard to quantify I expect...
Interestingly enough I read an article on the Guardian saying how the Law Commission has recommended prenups become legally enforceable rather than simply considered in the UK. I think that is enough, the whole system doesn't need changing by default. It does include some silly part about about 'but only after' with regard to the other parties needs, which is stupidly ambiguous.
I'd be all for. As a career woman myself, neither do I like the accusations about all women being out to steal their husband's money and neither would I want to allow someone to have mine. These laws would essentially disallow gold diggers marrying for money. Let marriage be for love and love only.
Original post by Fizzel
Interestingly enough I read an article on the Guardian saying how the Law Commission has recommended prenups become legally enforceable rather than simply considered in the UK. I think that is enough, the whole system doesn't need changing by default. It does include some silly part about about 'but only after' with regard to the other parties needs, which is stupidly ambiguous.

I don't think this is good enough. Right now there's a massive stigma to getting a prenup - look at the threads created on here and you'll see plenty of people wouldn't allow a prenup/would leave their partner if they insisted. Even thus change in law would keep the system the same in that only a few people, mostly celebs and the super rich would take one. For a genuine change they need to become the default to be commonplace.
Reply 8
Original post by joker12345
I'd be all for. As a career woman myself, neither do I like the accusations about all women being out to steal their husband's money and neither would I want to allow someone to have mine. These laws would essentially disallow gold diggers marrying for money. Let marriage be for love and love only.

repped. what 's yours is yours, man or woman.
Reply 9
Original post by Fizzel

that's why i posted, a lot of women seemed very upset. i don't understand why, this isn't gender related. the woman is the higher earner plenty of times, gender has nothing to do with it.
Reply 10
great to see most people agree so far.:smile::smile:

this would probably reduce the number of divorces as well, since the main reason given these days by one of the sexes is being bored (see eat, pray, love). although being poor and having to work all of a sudden will cure their boredom. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
2 things I don't mind.

I don't mind paying child support (if it's reasonable) and I don't mind giving up the family home if my ex wife is a good mother and we have 50/50 custody

What I definitely don't want however is giving her 50% of my wealth, alimony and a slice of my retirement simply because she was married to me. That's where I will draw a prenup.

Quick Reply

Latest