The Student Room Group

Marriage

So I’m in talks regarding marrying someone. She said to me once that she would want me to sign some sort of agreement if I cheat on her ie emotionally damage her that I would have to pay for it as a way to protect her.

My question is I know in the uk you have to split 5050 assets in a divorce but how does this work?

I have quite an expensive car too which I seen somewhere vehicle is part of it so how would that work and I do alright for myself so I’m just a bit scared lol if that ever happened.

Should I consider a prenup too?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m in talks regarding marrying someone. She said to me once that she would want me to sign some sort of agreement if I cheat on her ie emotionally damage her that I would have to pay for it as a way to protect her.

My question is I know in the uk you have to split 5050 assets in a divorce but how does this work?

I have quite an expensive car too which I seen somewhere vehicle is part of it so how would that work and I do alright for myself so I’m just a bit scared lol if that ever happened.

Should I consider a prenup too?

Simply: Don't do it!
You are human and have no way of knowing what you will or won't be doing in the future.
She still has the prerogative to leave you whenever she chooses.
Reply 2
Original post by Amiromar
Simply: Don't do it!
You are human and have no way of knowing what you will or won't be doing in the future.
She still has the prerogative to leave you whenever she chooses.

Don’t do what sorry I didn’t get that?

Of course you’re right anyone can leave at any given moment hence why I’m asking about these things as I would prefer to have an element of protection over my assets and finances.
Are you both living in England? :confused:

Pre-nuptial agreements have no automatic legal status in England as they do in much of europe and the usa.
Sometimes the courts will take the content of such agreements into account when deciding upon divorce settlements where both parties are childless resident citizen adults, had received independent legal advice at time of signing and there has been no history of domestic abuse or any crime.
But often the courts will completely disregard the entire agreement.
Generally leaving the wealthier partner liable to pay all legal costs, along with a % of their assets at time of the split as a lump sum settlement or even a share of future earnings if an annual sum is agreed/ordered.
Reply 4
Get professional legal advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending