The Student Room Group

No rejection mail but unsucsessful on UCAS?

I applied to two different courses in one University and got two times rejected.
My first rejection for Philosophy was months ago, and the Uni student portal has send me a rejection mail where they have told me the reasons for it. UCAS also noted I was unsuccsessfull so by this time everything went right.
However today, I got rejected for my second degree too, but only from UCAS. I know that the Uni will send me a rejection mail, so I was very confused if I am really rejected or not. It may be also the case that the uni will not every time send rejection mails, but I still need to clarify if this decision is official, dont I?
I have called the admissions department, and they have said I should rather email them (for what reason tho?) so I did. I am very very confused.
I dont know if this is a UCAS mistake or if I am really rejected and if I should move on to my other choices ( I got into my insurance).
I would appriciate your help.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by nanashi_6666
I applied to two different courses in one University and got two times rejected.
My first rejection for Philosophy was months ago, and the Uni student portal has send me a rejection mail where they have told me the reasons for it. UCAS also noted I was unsuccsessfull so by this time everything went right.
However today, I got rejected for my second degree too, but only from UCAS. I know that the Uni will send me a rejection mail, so I was very confused if I am really rejected or not. It may be also the case that the uni will not every time send rejection mails, but I still need to clarify if this decision is official, dont I?
I have called the admissions department, and they have said I should rather email them (for what reason tho?) so I did. I am very very confused.
I dont know if this is a UCAS mistake or if I am really rejected and if I should move on to my other choices ( I got into my insurance).
I would appriciate your help.

When did this happen? Assuming you originally applied by 25 January 2023 (the "equal consideration" deadline), then universities had until 18 May 2023 to make their decision. If they had not informed UCAS of their decision by this point, then UCAS will have set the status of your application to "Rejected by Default". This effectively means that you have been rejected, because the university have not made you an offer within the timescale available to them.

My guess is that this is what's happened. Have you e-mailed the admissions department, as they have suggested?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
When did this happen? Assuming you originally applied by 25 January 2023 (the "equal consideration" deadline), then universities had until 18 May 2023 to make their decision. If they had not informed UCAS of their decision by this point, then UCAS will have set the status of your application to "Rejected by Default". This effectively means that you have been rejected, because the university have not made you an offer within the timescale available to them.

My guess is that this is what's happened. Have you e-mailed the admissions department, as they have suggested?

I have applied by the deadline 25 January, but at that time it was without my grades cause I had some several remarks. The final date I have sent off my official results was at the end of April. My rejection for my first degree came before the 18 May, but for the second degree it was today. It is still confusing since UCAS is not telling me it is by default, it is clearly unsuccsessfull....

And yes I have emailed them, still waiting.
(edited 11 months ago)
I have applied by the deadline 25 January, but at that time it was without my grades cause I had some several remarks. The final date I have sent off my official results was at the end of April. My rejection for my first degree came before the 18 May, but for the second degree it was today. It is still confusing since UCAS is not telling me it is by default, it is clearly unsuccsessfull....

And yes I have emailed them, still waiting.

The fact that you didn't provide your grades until after 25 January isn't important - the majority of applicants won't have their grades until August. The fact that you applied by 25 January means that the 18 May deadline for responses holds, and tends to confirm my suspicion that this is a "reject by default" scenario.

You could call UCAS and ask if this is what has happened. They are at 0371 468 0 468, Monday to Friday 08:30 until 18:00. So you can get them right now, if you're quick.
Reply 4
The fact that you didn't provide your grades until after 25 January isn't important - the majority of applicants won't have their grades until August. The fact that you applied by 25 January means that the 18 May deadline for responses holds, and tends to confirm my suspicion that this is a "reject by default" scenario.

You could call UCAS and ask if this is what has happened. They are at 0371 468 0 468, Monday to Friday 08:30 until 18:00. So you can get them right now, if you're quick.

So I just called UCAS and they told me the Uni has rejected me, it is not by default...
I will just wait til the Uni emails me back, hopefully I will know then what is going on.

Do you think this is kind of a method by the Uni to get in touch with the applicant?
The second degree I applied for is actually a new degree starting this year, called an interdisciplinary study.
I just cant think that this course is that competetive, but i dont know...lets see what happens.
(edited 11 months ago)
So I just called UCAS and they told me the Uni has rejected me, it is not by default...
I will just wait til the Uni emails me back, hopefully I will know then what is going on.

Do you think this is kind of a method by the Uni to get in touch with the applicant?
The second degree I applied for is actually a new degree starting this year, called an interdisciplinary study.
I just cant think that this course is that competetive, but i dont know...lets see what happens.

Well, at least you've got some clarity now. Hopefully you'll have even more once the uni respond.

And no, I don't think this is "a method by the Uni to get in touch with the applicant". If they wanted to get in touch (to clarify some information, for example) they could have just e-mailed you.

Do your grades meet their standard entry requirements? If they do, then presumably the issue is that too many other other candidates meet or exceed them. Also, you said you applied for two separate degree courses - were they similar? If they were very different they this might have indicated a lack of interest in or enthusiasm for the course. Or perhaps your personal statement was too targeting at the first course at the expense of the second? I'm just guessing really - you really need to await their reply.
Reply 6
Well, at least you've got some clarity now. Hopefully you'll have even more once the uni respond.

And no, I don't think this is "a method by the Uni to get in touch with the applicant". If they wanted to get in touch (to clarify some information, for example) they could have just e-mailed you.

Do your grades meet their standard entry requirements? If they do, then presumably the issue is that too many other other candidates meet or exceed them. Also, you said you applied for two separate degree courses - were they similar? If they were very different they this might have indicated a lack of interest in or enthusiasm for the course. Or perhaps your personal statement was too targeting at the first course at the expense of the second? I'm just guessing really - you really need to await their reply.

Well...my entry requirements only meet partly. So I assume this might be the reason they rejected me..it was not a huge gap tho!
In my opinion, when a new course starts I dont think the Uni can set a specific grade minimum since they have never experienced how the students would be like when it comes to classes.. So I still applied, altough I didnt have the exact requirements.
My degrees were similar I would say. My personal statement was mainly targeting at the second course (which is my firm choice), so I thought I handled well I guess..?They have to tell me why.
Well...my entry requirements only meet partly. So I assume this might be the reason they rejected me..it was not a huge gap tho!
In my opinion, when a new course starts I dont think the Uni can set a specific grade minimum since they have never experienced how the students would be like when it comes to classes.. So I still applied, altough I didnt have the exact requirements.
My degrees were similar I would say. My personal statement was mainly targeting at the second course (which is my firm choice), so I thought I handled well I guess..?They have to tell me why.

It's interesting that you say, "In my opinion, when a new course starts I dont think the Uni can set a specific grade minimum". The university clearly has a different opinion. :smile:
Reply 8

Lol, if you don't meet the grade requirements don't apply. You likely won't thrive in that degree if you're unable to meet the requirements in the first place. Uni is academically demanding and challenging, it's perfectly reasonable to have a grade cutoff, and completely expected to get a rejection if you don't meet those requirements.
I was rejected on UCAS then sent an email by the uni after. I don't think the uni is required to contact you through email though as it is technically all done through UCAS. Most unis do though but I dont think they need to

And if you didnt have the entry requirements it probably is just a rejection so I wouldnt hold out hope
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending