The Student Room Group

Boyfriend all of a sudde wants to get married after I started making a lot of money?

My boyfriend and I have been together for over two years now. We met when I was pursuing my doctorate degree and I'm finishing within early next year. I'm on a promising career path and recently got a job making over 250k a year. I brought up the idea of marriage with him a few times in the past but he said he wasn't ready and said that he feels weird about getting married because sometimes people change after this which I guess makes sense, so I didn't really pursue it further.

All of a sudden, he has been bringing it up more now and it just so happened to be after this new job and how he saw I had a bright future. I've been treating him and buying him stuff etc and he recently said he wants to get married within the next year. I was confused and said didn't you want to wait longer? But he said he changed his mind. I brought up a prenup I few nights ago and he got upset about this and said that it wouldnt be fair to him to do that and it's going to make it too easy for me to leave him or something along those lines..

Do you think he's after my money? I just think this is a weird situation because he wasn't acting this way when I wasnt making nearly as much as this..
I would get married to anyone on 250k a year regardless

What do you do to get an 250 salary? Are you a surgeon? And how old are you?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I would get married to anyone on 250k a year regardless

What do you do to get an 250 salary? Are you a surgeon? And how old are you?

I'm 27 and I'm a neuropsychologist
Do you think he's after my money?

Yes.
Love at first sight- of your savings account.
Maybe he wants to be a trophy husband.

Prenuptial agreements signed in the uk have no automatic legal status as they do in much of the usa and eu nations, the divorce courts frequently ignore them when calculating divorce settlements.
Reply 5
as a psychologist i am sure you already know the answer....
you are a smartmsart lady honestly!! but if you're questioning smth unfortunately you already know the answer...
money comes and goes get a pre nup and you can make some adjustments to it in the future but don't let finances blind you or him!
what does your man do?
Reply 7
you are a smartmsart lady honestly!! but if you're questioning smth unfortunately you already know the answer...
money comes and goes get a pre nup and you can make some adjustments to it in the future but don't let finances blind you or him!
what does your man do?

He's an engineer. He makes good money too obviously but I make like 3x more. so it's not necessarily like he needs me but maybe it would be convenient
Is he more interested in marriage now because of the money and the prospect of a more stable financial footing in a married relationship? Perhaps.

But does that change your previous interest in getting married? If you're still interested in getting married and he is now then...well, your interests are aligned at least now, for whatever reasons.

I think not wanting to get married until the parties are confident that there is a solid financial footing isn't wholly irrational as long as there is underlying affection.

Obviously if this change of heart on his behalf makes you uncomfortable then that's not nothing though. Still, perhaps not as wholly a negative as initially framed?
i think he wants ur money, just imagine what would happen if you decided to drop everything and want to be a teacher or something instead, what would his reaction be to that??? or even pretend and test it out, then u got ur answer :wink:
Reply 10
Good to see that the relationship is filled with love and trust. Just tell him you’ve decided to wait a while longer
i think he wants ur money, just imagine what would happen if you decided to drop everything and want to be a teacher or something instead, what would his reaction be to that??? or even pretend and test it out, then u got ur answer :wink:

There’s no incentive for him to want to be with her then?
Everyone knows the answer to what would happen if she would drop to a 30k salary
It’s not like she has a magical pussy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending