The Student Room Group

Default notice

So I got a statement at the end of it with a default notice attached. Saying I owed a late fee of £12 this didn’t have a date to pay it by either. I had already paid the fee 14 days later however I didn’t realise I got this default notice until I looked at my statement I am really stresssing out
Reply 1
The Ts&Cs will explain late fees, so you should have been aware. Pay it ASAP.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
The Ts&Cs will explain late fees, so you should have been aware. Pay it ASAP.

There’s nothing In the t&cs just says if your late you mate get a late fee
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
There’s nothing In the t&cs just says if your late you mate get a late fee

Exactly. So what's your problem?
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
Exactly. So what's your problem?

I don’t know when I need to pay the late fee by without defaulting
I don’t know when I need to pay the late fee by without defaulting

Do you have £12 to pay it now?
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Do you have £12 to pay it now?

I’ve already paid it! I paid it on the 22nd but it was put on the 8th but I didn’t see it until the 22nd so I paid it then
I’ve already paid it! I paid it on the 22nd but it was put on the 8th but I didn’t see it until the 22nd so I paid it then

Then if the notice didn’t have a deadline date you can just forget about it.
Reply 8
Then if the notice didn’t have a deadline date you can just forget about it.

“If you have not already done so, please rectify the position straight away to avoid any further charges and default communications. If you are having difficulty making payments or keeping to the terms of the agreement we would like to hear from you”. That’s all it said
Original post by Anonymous
“If you have not already done so, please rectify the position straight away to avoid any further charges and default communications. If you are having difficulty making payments or keeping to the terms of the agreement we would like to hear from you”. That’s all it said

Then forget about it. No deadline date and you’re paid up and settled.
Then forget about it. No deadline date and you’re paid up and settled.

I just really don’t want this to default onto my credit file
I just really don’t want this to default onto my credit file

The original default is likely already on there.

Unless you’re applying for some form of credit over the next 12 months it’s unlikely to make much difference.
The original default is likely already on there.
Unless you’re applying for some form of credit over the next 12 months it’s unlikely to make much difference.

The thing is Feb is ticked so I guess I’m technically a month behind so it will be march that does it. And yeah I am cos I’ve just exchanged contracts for a mortgage this is why I’m so worried. Literally can’t sleep or eat and I know it’s my fault
The thing is Feb is ticked so I guess I’m technically a month behind so it will be march that does it. And yeah I am cos I’ve just exchanged contracts for a mortgage this is why I’m so worried. Literally can’t sleep or eat and I know it’s my fault

Very unlikely to affect a mortgage application. If you default on that then they get the property. Win win for them.
Very unlikely to affect a mortgage application. If you default on that then they get the property. Win win for them.

Do you mean if I default on the mortgage?
Do you mean if I default on the mortgage?

Yes.

I appreciate it’s worrying but there’s nothing you can do about your previous default. It may be worth getting a copy of your credit report if it will
put your mind at ease.
Yes.
I appreciate it’s worrying but there’s nothing you can do about your previous default. It may be worth getting a copy of your credit report if it will
put your mind at ease.

I rung the company and they said it’s paid it won’t default. I’m not sure if they understand I mean I missed the Feb on not the march. However on my credit report February is ticked, but I don’t know if it’s a month late due to the due date being at the end of Feb
Again, nothing you can do about it even if the original payment is flagged as defaulted.
Reply 18

So you pay it straight away, as instructed. If you've incurred a fee for a late payment you don't compound the problem by delaying settling up again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending