The Student Room Group

Complex transitive verb?

Hi. I am unsure whether "I can't take my purse out of the house without wanting to spend money" is complex transitive? 'Out of the house' seems to tell you something more about 'my purse' but I am not quite sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Well it's two clauses, so you're going to have to separate the two. "I can't take my purse out of the house" is a subordinating clause then you have "without to spend money" is an adverbial clause. Together it makes a complex sentence.

The "take" is the transitive verb as "purse" would be the object? I am not too good with the complement and subject, objects and etc in sentences!
Reply 2
Original post by Cool_JordH
Well it's two clauses, so you're going to have to separate the two. "I can't take my purse out of the house" is a subordinating clause then you have "without to spend money" is an adverbial clause. Together it makes a complex sentence.

The "take" is the transitive verb as "purse" would be the object? I am not too good with the complement and subject, objects and etc in sentences!

Thanks for the reply! I think I understand the clauses, but I am still a little bit confused about the verb types. A similar example would be "I packed my things into the car" - do you know whether 'packed' would be complex-transitive here as 'into the car' may tell you something more about 'my things'? Thanks once again!
Original post by yellowbel6
Thanks for the reply! I think I understand the clauses, but I am still a little bit confused about the verb types. A similar example would be "I packed my things into the car" - do you know whether 'packed' would be complex-transitive here as 'into the car' may tell you something more about 'my things'? Thanks once again!

Sorry I have no idea!! This is why I decided to apply for Lit at uni. Lang is way too technical and confusing! :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Hi. Its not a complex transitive as 'out of the house' is a prepositional phrase (headed by the preposition 'out') acting as an adjunct giving information about place or direction (it might be substituted with 'to the shops') . It is not telling us anything about the qualities or attributes of the purse. A complex transitive would be something like: I consider my purse one of the finest in the country.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending