The Student Room Group

Doing BA (Hons) Public Services?

Hello. I was wondering if there was anybody on here that has done the BA in Public Services?

Just wondering what your advice would be and if this course would be considered worth doing if I wanted a job in a uniformed service.

I just keep thinking if this course is actually worth it or not now. I've already accepted it on my UCAS app now so it's pretty official now but I just have some doubts in my mind for some reason about this type of course?

A bit of help and encouragement would really do me some good. So if you can give me some aim with this I'd be grateful.

My original aim was Police Studies but they turned me down apparently and offered me this at the same university instead so I thought I would have to make do. But I'm sure they offered this because it's pretty similar.

And obviously it is much to late to change anything now on my application. So I would have to make do with Public Services if I were to go to uni.

I just think of things like "Is this going to be worth it?" And "Will this get me a job I will potentially love?"

And I think it will. Anything in the public sector would honestly be great in my eyes. Especially police!

Scroll to see replies

No, it isnt worth it.

You don't need degree in this 'subject' to work in the Public Sector - and having one won't get you any further up the job tree than a degree in English or any other subject. Its a con by Universities who think they've spotted a gap in the market to get money out of gullible school leavers.

There are hundreds of entry level jobs in the civil service all over the UK that pay sensible money - check out https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/company/nghr/jobs.cgi and the Health Service http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/working-in-the-nhs/joining-the-nhs/apprenticeships-in-england/

None of these want this silly 'degree'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
But the thing is, I really want to go to University now.

I'm currently stuck in a dead end job, with no future, everytime I search for an apprenticeship or anything of the likes I never find anything in my area so I decided education would be my best bet to get my life back on track.

I'm really not sure if its worth taking this dive or not anymore.

I want to go to Uni so badly.
Then look at a more mainstream, sensible degree subject like Sociology, History, Criminology, Criminal Justice, Legal Studies, Social Work, Youth Studies or a teaching degree.

www.whatuni.com is a good place to start.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
Then look at a more mainstream, sensible degree subject like Sociology, History, Criminology, Legal Studies, Social Work, Youth Studies or a teaching degree.

www.whatuni.com is a good place to start.

The issue is, I have already finished my application and accepted this course and I don't think I can change it. Plus I dont think I would be accepted for those, I have an ICT Btec to my name. But I never really wanted to take that further.

I wish when I was at secondary school I knew what I wanted to do in life so I could just knuckle down
Look at what other courses that Uni offers - you can swap courses at this stage but not Universities.

If you aren't applying straight from school, then Unis will the work/life experience into account - if you find a subject that appeals to you, phone the Uni and ask if your offer/place can swapped to that course - or look for a course that has a Foundation year attached where the entry requirements will be lower.
Reply 6
Original post by joetprosser
Hello. I was wondering if there was anybody on here that has done the BA in Public Services?Just wondering what your advice would be and if this course would be considered worth doing if I wanted a job in a uniformed service. I just keep thinking if this course is actually worth it or not now. I've already accepted it on my UCAS app now so it's pretty official now but I just have some doubts in my mind for some reason about this type of course? A bit of help and encouragement would really do me some good. So if you can give me some aim with this I'd be grateful. My original aim was Police Studies but they turned me down apparently and offered me this at the same university instead so I thought I would have to make do. But I'm sure they offered this because it's pretty similar. And I think it will. Anything in the public sector would honestly be great in my eyes. Especially police!

unis have started to create courses that supposedly get a job eg police studies for the police, Forensics, etc. ( theres been a lot of coverage of forensics and how they dont get jobs as they prefer applicants who did chemistry)you dont need to do a certain degree to join the police ( i know someone who wants to join the police and is doing History & Politics)

i dont think its too late to reject the place.

my advice is to look at what youre good at and enjoy.
(edited 10 years ago)
Spot on. Just because 'you can do a degree in it' DOESNT mean you need to have a degree in it!

There are numerous silly degrees out there - Football Studies, Tourism Studies, Fashion Merchandising, and Outdoor Studies are just some that spring to mind - which are totally pointless, because you don't need a degree to work in those areas and having a degree will still mean you start work in those areas at the same rate of pay as a school leaver. What a total waste of three years - and £50k.
Reply 8
Spot on. Just because 'you can do a degree in it' DOESNT mean you need to have a degree in it!

There are numerous silly degrees out there - Football Studies, Tourism Studies, Fashion Merchandising, and Outdoor Studies are just some that spring to mind - which are totally pointless, because you don't need a degree to work in those areas and having a degree will still mean you start work in those areas at the same rate of pay as a school leaver. What a total waste of three years - and £50k.

Although if you go for Surf Science or Gold Course management you'll be headhunted.

Why the heck you'd suggest Criminology over Public Service is beyond me, both equally pointless.

To the OP, what job do you want to do?
I'm sure Public Service will help you get into it as any other degree, but the fact its Public Service you've applied for suggests its a crap university, suggesting you don't have good grades and by implication having a degree won't help you get into the job you want to do... sad, but generally true generalisation.
Reply 9
Original post by Quady
Although if you go for Surf Science or Gold Course management you'll be headhunted.

Why the heck you'd suggest Criminology over Public Service is beyond me, both equally pointless.

To the OP, what job do you want to do?
I'm sure Public Service will help you get into it as any other degree, but the fact its Public Service you've applied for suggests its a crap university, suggesting you don't have good grades and by implication having a degree won't help you get into the job you want to do... sad, but generally true generalisation.

I done well in my course at college, but I just wanted a change of course. Ill reply to the rest late
Reply 10
I'm pretty annoyed right now to be honest. I'm really not sure there is much I can take at Uni at this point now. It seems I'm past the point of being able to apply for something else.

edit: or at least change to something else.
Reply 11
Original post by joetprosser
I'm pretty annoyed right now to be honest. I'm really not sure there is much I can take at Uni at this point now. It seems I'm past the point of being able to apply for something else.

edit: or at least change to something else.

clearing
Reply 12
Original post by WeeGuy
clearing

what do you think my chances would be of getting onto a history BA if I contact them?

I have accepted it completely now its sorted to some degree. I think I can only change to another course, if possible at all. I mean, I dont IT at college. Although I've always wanted to do science or history at university level. They just wouldn't let me go onto the science BTEC in my college I went to. Which was a bit ****
Limited without evidence of an 'essay' subject. But.......

I realise you are determined to get to Uni (great!). You might just have to play the longer game here. You will get there, but you might have to go 'via' somewhere else - a Foundation year, an Access course or some Open University units. This is all very do-able - so don't give up!

Look seriously as something like this - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/courses/foundation Its designed for people exactly like YOU.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Who would I ask for at the University to talk to about changing my course?
Reply 15
Limited without evidence of an 'essay' subject. But.......

I realise you are determined to get to Uni (great!). You might just have to play the longer game here. You will get there, but you might have to go 'via' somewhere else - a Foundation year, an Access course or some Open University units. This is all very do-able - so don't give up!

Look seriously as something like this - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/courses/foundation Its designed for people exactly like YOU.

Thanks man. Really appreciate the help! I'm going to Glamorgan. But the only thing on there, which does intrigue me really is the natural history and foundation year with it? I'm really unsure of my chances now because when I applied my PS was aimed at policing and I hadn't really mentioned my love for science and history along with it
Call the main Admissions Office number. Anyone there will be able to talk you through the options. And your PS won't matter if you are honest and up front about your journey to this change of mind.

That Foundation course sounds good. I know you want to go this year - but even if they say No this year, it might be worth you hanging on and applying to somewhere like Glamorgan or Bristol next year for the course you really want to do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Call the main Admissions Office number. Anyone there will be able to talk you through the options. And your PS won't matter if you are honest and up front about your journey to this change of mind.

That Foundation course sounds good. I know you want to go this year - but even if they say No this year, it might be worth you hanging on and applying to somewhere like Glamorgan or Bristol next year for the course you really want to do.

I probably couldn't thank you enough for that course. Which I will definitely consider.

I know this might sound stupid, but I would hate to go to University as a 21 year old for some reason. It would just seem like I am really old or something haha.

Am I able to stay at Bristol through their accommodation, I couldn't see much on their page then? And would I get funding for it through StudentFinance Wales?

thanks a lot
Don't worry about being at Uni when over 21 - lots of people go to Uni 'later', so you certainly wouldn't be alone. Take a look at the Mature Students board - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185 - lots of helpful advice there. Can't answer your specific question about Finance, but yes, Welsh students get funding to go to English Unis. Yes, you would be eligible for Uni accom.
Reply 19
Don't worry about being at Uni when over 21 - lots of people go to Uni 'later', so you certainly wouldn't be alone. Take a look at the Mature Students board - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185 - lots of helpful advice there. Can't answer your specific question about Finance, but yes, Welsh students get funding to go to English Unis. Yes, you would be eligible for Uni accom.

Thank you again.

Last question, if I'm 21+ am I still eligible for Uni Accom at Glamorgan etc if I choose a full degree?

I know that might sound a bit dull, but as you can tell... I have never really been told much about Uni. Its a bit new to me. In college it was all finish the work and that was it. Not much talk about Uni really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending