The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

English with Professional Education 2014

Have offer for English:-)
Cannot make the applicant days.

Anyone with advice re which halls/flats are best at Stirling?
What's this course really like?
:rolleyes:
Hi there!

Okay, so I can't comment on halls as I only stayed on campus for the one year so my experience with accommodation relates only to Andrew Stewart Hall, but if you like having an en-suite bathroom, that's a place I would recommend.

As for the English and Professional Education course, I may be able to help you.

In first year the course is pretty straightforward. As you'll only be in first year you won't have the option of doing placement so all of your learning will be lecture based. You'll have one lecture per week and one 2 hour seminar per week in which you'll discuss a lot of theory behind education. You'll be given an in-depth look at the Curriculum for Excellence and the four outcomes which pupils are supposed to acheive during their time during school. The second semester is much of the same, but starts to move towards actually learning more about how to teach rather than learning about Education as a field itself. As for assignments, you have one essay to write per semester (which is graded) and as long as you have a good handful of sources to reference and keep up with the background reading assigned to you (there is a fair amount) you'll do fine. There is also an ungraded presentation you need to do with a few members of your seminar class on a specified topic and afterwards you'll get a bit of verbal feedback from your tutor and then a sheet with some notes on it.

Placements begin in second year so you don't need to worry about going into a school environment for a while yet which I certainly found as a relief. If you are studying English and Professional Education (Primary), your first placement will be in a nursery, and if you are studying Secondary education, you'll have a three week placement in a Primary school during the winter holidays (depending on if that has changed thanks to new semester dates). Meanwhile during term time you will have micro-teaching sessions where you and a partner see a different class of pupils each week and take it in turns to teach them half hour lessons. Generally you get about 3 each. These are then assessed. But again, that's all far off in the future and you'll learn more about it closer to the time.

The English course is also fairly straightforward so long as you keep up with the reading (having the set texts read in advance is a huge advantage) and go to all your lectures and seminars. There are 2 graded essays per semester which count for 40% and 60% respectively.

I hope this has been of some help to you, and if you have any other questions about the course ( I only did Education up until the point of Semester 3/4) then feel free to give me a shout. :smile:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Hi, Thanks for your reply. In fact in addition to above course, I also have an offer for English, Religion with professional education (Secondary)

I expect most students only stay 1st year in halls. Good to hear about a hall that's ok for first years.

Can I ask you what degree did you end up with?
Hi again,

I decided to change my degree from the joint English/Education to just an English degree. I decided I would rather pursue teaching at a later date rather than do the four years here.

Quick Reply

Latest