The Student Room Group

Psychology (PSYA1) - Tuesday 13th May 2014 - PM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by kirsty0x
Can anyone help me with the evaluation on research into how age affects EWT research?? Pleasee

for which study do you want evaluation on? Poole et al, Rhodes? Warren? all three?
guys im panicking so much... i also do biology and maths AS and revision for those is just so easy! but psychology, i dont even know, nothings going in! anyone got any ideas? i basically know nothing😪

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
i know the feeling and i am sure a lot more people feel the same. I am taking also Chemistry and Biology and those two feel breeze in the air compared to psychology!

i just finished revising for the PSYA1 and i cant even think of starting for the PSYA2!! :confused::eek:

the way i revise is mainly preparing and learning inside out assays for the 12 marks questions, and doing that should also help me answer the 4 and 8 mark onces same time.

i regret choosing this subject to be honest..
Original post by mbolomiti
i know the feeling and i am sure a lot more people feel the same. I am taking also Chemistry and Biology and those two feel breeze in the air compared to psychology!

i just finished revising for the PSYA1 and i cant even think of starting for the PSYA2!! :confused::eek:

the way i revise is mainly preparing and learning inside out assays for the 12 marks questions, and doing that should also help me answer the 4 and 8 mark onces same time.

Piss easy compared to freaking History. SO TEDIOUS and CUMBERSOME. Chem and Bio aren't that hard, really. If you need help, just ask me :biggrin:.
Can anyone help me with the evaluation on research into how age affects EWT research?? Pleasee

I would use:
1) Lab Exp- So Low Ecological validity and can't generalise, but high in control of extraneous confounding variables. Just explain them for like 2 marks.
2)Ethical Issues- kids are being lied to and mislead. Could develop distress from such deception.
3) Then I would say that a lot of the exp use pics of younger people or younger people as an audience and then you need to just say like same age bias, if you understand me?
4) Mixed bag of results, no clear distinction on which is true.

I used Saj Devish E-Book and info from there. Good luck! Ask if you need more help. Sorry for such a rubbish and rushed answer but currently doing chem work :biggrin:
Original post by ollieui
I'm finding it pretty easy.
I did psychology at GCSE and so I already knew alot about this module, and research methods and how to write an evaluation ect.

I honestly have no clue about the 12 marker tho

Yeah the 12 markers annoy me. Basically for them, you need to balance out the AO1S and AO2S, which are each 6 marks. For example, if the question was last years 'Outline and evaluate research into life changes and/or daily hassles as sources of stress,' it's best to do both life changes and daily hassles, especially for a 12 marker.Also [ay attention to the wording of the question 'Outline' means give definitions and studies. 'Evaluate' is to include the good and bad of the studie, IN DETAIL. For this you'd start with the definitions, and what the differences between the two are. Then you'd state the studies done for each, so Lazarus', Kanner's,and Holmes and Rahe. This would need the aim, the procedure, then the findings. That's all AO1. The AO2 are the ethical issues, and evaluation of the studies. So you'd include whether it can be generalised, strengths or weaknesses etc. Like for Holmes and Rahe, you'd say it can't be generalised as it was 3200 men sailors, so here its a huge sample as well as it being androsentric (focused on men). Hope that helps, you just need to balance the studies and the problems or strengths of the outcome, but make sure they're analysed in detail, so you can't just say 'they used 3200 men which was a big sample' you'd have to say something like 'they had high population validity as there were 3200 people who participated, which can therefore be generalised' (obviously can't as its men but if you say that you'd get the mark)

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, i'm here for help! :smile: XX
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by florencemay
guys im panicking so much... i also do biology and maths AS and revision for those is just so easy! but psychology, i dont even know, nothings going in! anyone got any ideas? i basically know nothing������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look on youtube, I found a song on the pituitary adrenal and sympatho medullary system for stress and I was singing it in my mock haha! Also do mind maps. For all my notes, i've done like spider diagrams, it does help! One other thing, if you can do this, is buy a whiteboard. Wilkinson's do a fairly big whiteboard for £3.50! I bought it about a month ago, pinned it on the wall, and I pretend that i'm teaching a class (actually just teaching the sofa and the living room) but that does help because you remember more than you think.

Have fun :smile: here if you need help x

Oooh I did that in my mock! Include studies, like Goodman and Schaaf on languages on children, then write the AO2s for that. Evaluation could include generalisation, whether it has any ethical issues (informed consent, deception etc) and whether it can be falsified or if it had high internal/external validity. Hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by mbolomiti

Are you memorising essays? So many to learn😩
I'm resitting this from last year - June 2013 12 marker was evil, considering really, there's only one study.

My prediction for the 12 this year is an Outline & Evaluate for the MSM model or the WM model, but probably MSM, as it has been a long time since it's come up.
Reply 50
Original post by pierreboobvier
I'm resitting this from last year - June 2013 12 marker was evil, considering really, there's only one study.

My prediction for the 12 this year is an Outline & Evaluate for the MSM model or the WM model, but probably MSM, as it has been a long time since it's come up.

God i hope so. An easy 12 marker!
Original post by toxiictests
I would use:
1) Lab Exp- So Low Ecological validity and can't generalise, but high in control of extraneous confounding variables. Just explain them for like 2 marks.
2)Ethical Issues- kids are being lied to and mislead. Could develop distress from such deception.
3) Then I would say that a lot of the exp use pics of younger people or younger people as an audience and then you need to just say like same age bias, if you understand me?
4) Mixed bag of results, no clear distinction on which is true.

I used Saj Devish E-Book and info from there. Good luck! Ask if you need more help. Sorry for such a rubbish and rushed answer but currently doing chem work :biggrin:

Link to the e-book please!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by beautyviews
Are you memorising essays? So many to learn������

it is a pain but i think thats the only way to not miss important things...and if my memory decide not to fail me might save me some time with the questions. stressed though, havent started with unit 2:frown:
Reply 53
People have different ways of learning, I literally have a passion for Psychology (lol) so it all sinks in easily. It's just the studies I need to remember and there is a lot. .-. Once i know the studies, I can evaluate it from then on. Don't cram everything. Just know the key points! They act as retrieval cues that will benefit you. I have done it for multiple PSY tests in school & so far they have worked.
Reply 54
anyone here got Saj's book?
Reply 55
can someone pls post their 12 marks questions on here. I'm not sure how to approach it so I want some examples. Cheers :smile:
Original post by beckysoya
can someone pls post their 12 marks questions on here. I'm not sure how to approach it so I want some examples. Cheers :smile:

This is my 12 essay on the multistore model :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1397737689.049083.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1397737719.183324.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by Maddiee_xoxo
This is my 12 essay on the multistore model :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1397737689.049083.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1397737719.183324.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it just me who finds unit 1 harder than unit 2? It could be because I don't find it as interesting, but I find it really hard to remember the day care stuff...which studies did you learn for the impact of day care on peer relations? I only know Sroufe and Schindler...
Original post by Maddiee_xoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really funny - you write in exactly the same style as me, my first 2 AO2 paragraphs are just like that!! I like you're 3rd paragraph - I'd not heard of that before, pretty fascinating!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending