The Student Room Group

Psychology (PSYA2) - Tuesday 20th May 2014 - PM

Scroll to see replies

Stress inoculation and hardiness training
Original post by craiok
Considering stress has been the topic for the 12 marker on the past 3 papers, it is unlikely. However I guess it's possible.. abnormality is more likely :smile:

no, i mean is it actually possible for bodily response to stress TO be a 12 marker? because in my book theres no evaluation or studies into it, just how the body responds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by mbolomiti
hi guys, just finished revising unit 1. just had a look into unit 2 and got so stressed with the amount of materials need to be revised and cover *big sigh* :frown: do i still have time to revise this unit until the exams? how long did it take you? any advise on revising plan? ....

I advise practising as many exam papers / 12 markers as possible. My way of revising is writing up 'model answers' (A grade answers) for every 12 marker that could come up and memorise the content, as then you'd be learning the content as well as how you would structure your essays. Then you could possibly form each model answer into a plan (like one you'd do in the exam) and memorise those (perhaps by putting them onto flash cards?) - by memorising the content first and then condensing them into plans on a flash card, I find it easier to recall everything... If that makes sense?

As for model answers, I know there's quite a few online which you could just search for (maybe try www.getrevising.co.uk). There's also this guy who achieved an A* overall whose selling a booklet full of model answers which has really helped me in terms of structuring essays - his website is here: http://www.loopa.co.uk/ (you do have to purchase the booklet but it's super helpful, so worth it, I think).

You could also try podcasts if you're an auditory learner like me: http://www.psychlotron.org.uk/podcasts.html

There's also the 'Psychology AS mini companion' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Companions-Companion-Psychology-Third/dp/0199129835/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398964611&sr=1-1&keywords=psychology+as+mini+companion) which I've found really helpful - it's really small so you can take it anywhere, also the notes are condensed / simplified.

I hope I've helped! Good luck.
How many words should be realistically in a 12 mark essay?
Reply 44
Original post by QUANTAM
How many words should be realistically in a 12 mark essay?

I couldn't say the amount of words exactly, but you should ideally fill up most of the space they give you. They give you this amount of space because there's more than enough for 12 marks - if you have good essay writing skills you could probably write less than that and still get 12 marks.

However, I'd say generally aim for writing as much as you can, and make sure your description and evaluation are of a similar length :smile:
Original post by Charybde
I couldn't say the amount of words exactly, but you should ideally fill up most of the space they give you. They give you this amount of space because there's more than enough for 12 marks - if you have good essay writing skills you could probably write less than that and still get 12 marks.

However, I'd say generally aim for writing as much as you can, and make sure your description and evaluation are of a similar length :smile:

Thanks!
Ashc variations were on conformity level decreasing and increasing
the study was on conformoity and matching the standard line to the comparisons line is that the one ?
Original post by jasminebo
Ashc variations were on conformity level decreasing and increasing
the study was on conformoity and matching the standard line to the comparisons line is that the one ?

Yeah along them lines
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1399153701.084001.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1399153719.609628.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know whether a 12 mark question could come up on Locus of Control? I'm not sure whether I need to know A02 points for it or not
I think the 12 mark question will either be to 'outline and evaluate one or more definition of abnormality' or in the behavioral therapies of abnormality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
So, generally, do you guys think the 12 marker will probably be something on abnormality?

I ask this, as it gives me something to focus my last minute revision on before the exam haha.
So, generally, do you guys think the 12 marker will probably be something on abnormality?

I ask this, as it gives me something to focus my last minute revision on before the exam haha.

I genuinely believe it will be on social influence the last couple years of past papers have been going in order last year stress then social influence then abnormailty, social influence, stress

Last year stress now social influence
I strongly believe stress in the workplace may come up as a small question! I have a feeling
Original post by abird1234
well if you have a feeling then you must be right. do you have any other feelings? jackass

Well this was rude! I was merely trying to help other people, because I have looked through all of the PSYA2 past papers trying to guess what questions may come up.

Don't go calling me a Jackass because I think something will come up. If you don't want to listen to me, then don't listen to me, but some people actually are and have mailed me asking me for my help. So try not to be so rude next time, and you may actually want to revise stress in the work place :smile:

I think it may be on behavioural therapies to abnormality, but I think there is a strong chance it will be on abnormality! :smile:
Original post by lucindaellaaa
Well this was rude! I was merely trying to help other people, because I have looked through all of the PSYA2 past papers trying to guess what questions may come up.

Don't go calling me a Jackass because I think something will come up. If you don't want to listen to me, then don't listen to me, but some people actually are and have mailed me asking me for my help. So try not to be so rude next time, and you may actually want to revise stress in the work place :smile:

Well that speech was truly horrendous, but i just have a feeling
Well that speech was truly horrendous, but i just have a feeling

What is your problem?
Original post by florencemay
no, i mean is it actually possible for bodily response to stress TO be a 12 marker? because in my book theres no evaluation or studies into it, just how the body responds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it would be worth 12 marks because it's just about what happens in the stress pathways and how that effects the body. Usually it's a small question worth about 4 or 6 marks, stating what happens in each pathway, or something like that. I think it usually comes up every year. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Original post by showmestarlight
I don't think it would be worth 12 marks because it's just about what happens in the stress pathways and how that effects the body. Usually it's a small question worth about 4 or 6 marks, stating what happens in each pathway, or something like that. I think it usually comes up every year. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Original post by florencemay

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think bodily responses are ever 12 markers as there aren't any evaluation points really, but yeah as showmestarlight says, it is usually a 4-6 marker! :-) I've seen it come up a lot! :smile:
well if you have a feeling then you must be right. do you have any other feelings? jackass

Can you stop being so rude in this thread? :/ She's just trying to be helpful. If you don't want help then go project your anger somewhere else. It's really not needed here.. Plus she's actually gone through all the past papers so she has a good idea. Either way, everyone's gonna be revising everything in the spec not just what could come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending