The Student Room Group

Psychology (PSYA2) - Tuesday 20th May 2014 - PM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Do we need to know Hardiness Training as well as Stress Inoculation Therapy and drug therapy, or are the latter two efficient? I can never seem to remember anything about Hardiness Training, and looking through the syllabus it just says 'including Stress Inoculation Therapy and drug therapy' so I don't want to waste time revising something which I probably won't remember in the exam and that I don't really need.

Original post by lucindaellaaa
I think it may be on behavioural therapies to abnormality, but I think there is a strong chance it will be on abnormality!:smile:

Okay cool! So isn't that things like Systematic Desensitization, Flooding, and Aversion Therapy? Do we need to know all of these, or is one in detail sufficient? I only seem to have in-depth notes on Systematic Desensitization, with brief mentioning to Flooding and Aversion Therapy as evaluation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Charybde
Do we need to know Hardiness Training as well as Stress Inoculation Therapy and drug therapy, or are the latter two efficient? I can never seem to remember anything about Hardiness Training, and looking through the syllabus it just says 'including Stress Inoculation Therapy and drug therapy' so I don't want to waste time revising something which I probably won't remember in the exam and that I don't really need.

Okay cool! So isn't that things like Systematic Desensitization, Flooding, and Aversion Therapy? Do we need to know all of these, or is one in detail sufficient? I only seem to have in-depth notes on Systematic Desensitization, with brief mentioning to Flooding and Aversion Therapy as evaluation.

You'll probably be asked to outline Sysytematic Desenitisation. Ive never seen Hardiness Training coming up. One in detail is sufficent with evaluation.
Reply 62
Anyone know what came up in January 2014?
Original post by zazadee_
Anyone know what came up in January 2014?

There was no january exams 2014 but in 2013 june it was Daily hassles and Life changes 12 marker
Reply 64
Does anyone have any notes on the stress topic?!?!? Studies and/or the different pathways (SAM and HPA)

i am panicking !!!!
Reply 65
Could someone post up 12/12 essay question examples - Would be very helpful :smile:
Original post by Charybde

For a 12 marker, know at least 2, just to cover your back, three would be better! I mean, for a 6 marker, you could just do SD, but 12 you wanna get as many as possible right? :-) Those three are the three I remember too, as they're easy to evaluate, but in the conclusion ensure you have Mowrers two factor therapy :smile:)
Reply 67
I'm in my third year and I am resitting this exam because I was one mark off an A over all -.- BUT I need help, I have no notes!

Can anyone tell me the variations of Asch's study? I vaguely remember there one about black prisoners? I can't remember the study or the name of the researcher! Help would be appreciated :smile:

Read your post..

I'm in the same situation!
I was one mark off A for both PSYA1 and PSYA2...kind of annoyed me..
I'm retaking unit 3, and both these units as this is the only subject i can realistically get an A.

My teachers had given us booklets (which i kept)...so am just reading through those, and starting on exam papers...though kind of slightly worried....hardly done anything! (Done the same thing where I've neglected psychology (sigh...never learn from mistakes :frown:)
For a 12 marker, know at least 2, just to cover your back, three would be better! I mean, for a 6 marker, you could just do SD, but 12 you wanna get as many as possible right? :-) Those three are the three I remember too, as they're easy to evaluate, but in the conclusion ensure you have Mowrers two factor therapy :smile:)

Please could you elaborate on Mowrers two factor therapy? I've not heard of this and it sounds interesting. Also, how would you evaluate Aversion therapy please? I've only studied SD...
There are so many different studies that colleges teach... I feel sorry for the people marking this things haha, just reading though some replies and I was like, what da fudge is dat? but then I realised
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Please could you elaborate on Mowrers two factor therapy? I've not heard of this and it sounds interesting. Also, how would you evaluate Aversion therapy please? I've only studied SD...

Mowrer basically suggests that to remove abnormalities such as phobias to use a mixture of operant and classical conditioning, instead of just SD of classical (associating the phobia with relaxation) I think it would be an excellent conclusion point as it just criticises every other therapy! Erm, aversion therapy would probably be more ethics, as the example i was given was an alcoholic associating the favourite drink with being violently sick, so harm mostly! I think if you use SD and flooding (very unethical) and use Mowrer you'd be okay!:smile: there aren't many studies to evaluate other than on SD :smile:
Original post by moey3
Read your post..

I'm in the same situation!
I was one mark off A for both PSYA1 and PSYA2...kind of annoyed me..
I'm retaking unit 3, and both these units as this is the only subject i can realistically get an A.

My teachers had given us booklets (which i kept)...so am just reading through those, and starting on exam papers...though kind of slightly worried....hardly done anything! (Done the same thing where I've neglected psychology (sigh...never learn from mistakes :frown:)

I'm only resitting this one as I resat unit 1 3 times and never got my A :frown: it's so frustrating isn't it? I'm working hard now to get the A! It sucks that I don't have all the material I had to do it off my own back wah :frown:
Mowrer basically suggests that to remove abnormalities such as phobias to use a mixture of operant and classical conditioning, instead of just SD of classical (associating the phobia with relaxation) I think it would be an excellent conclusion point as it just criticises every other therapy! Erm, aversion therapy would probably be more ethics, as the example i was given was an alcoholic associating the favourite drink with being violently sick, so harm mostly! I think if you use SD and flooding (very unethical) and use Mowrer you'd be okay!:smile: there aren't many studies to evaluate other than on SD :smile:

Aaah brilliant thank you very much!! All I had for SD were small evaluation studies: Ohman said that it wouldn't be as effective in treating phobias with an evolutionary origin because they helped our ancestors to survive so are harder to shift (heights, the dark etc). Wolpe found that 80-90% of patients improved after 25-30 sessions and Klosko compared SD with drugs and a placebo and found SD more effective than both. :smile:
Original post by allee002
Does anyone have any notes on the stress topic?!?!? Studies and/or the different pathways (SAM and HPA)

i am panicking !!!!

Good notes can be found on this blog:
http://alevelpsychology.co.uk/?q=node&page=1
If you just have a look through.

Also: http://a-levelpsychologyaqa.blogspot.co.uk/

Has some very good general PSYA1 & PSYA2 notes.

Don't panic, you'll stress yourself out :wink: (See what I did there)

Anyway, hope this helps :'3
Original post by QUANTAM
How many words should be realistically in a 12 mark essay?

It does depend on the quality of what you've written, but in the past I've managed to write full mark model answers for 12 mark questions which range anywhere between 300 and 500 words :3
I'm in my third year and I am resitting this exam because I was one mark off an A over all -.- BUT I need help, I have no notes!

Can anyone tell me the variations of Asch's study? I vaguely remember there one about black prisoners? I can't remember the study or the name of the researcher! Help would be appreciated :smile:

Variations of Asch's Study:

Lucas et al (2006)
- Difficult variation
- Lower one's self efficient as an individual (confidence in one's own abilities), the higher the rate of conformity

Asch
- Varied the size of the majority (1,2,3,4,8,10 or 15 confederates)
- 1 vs 1 -> 3% conformity
- 3 vs 2 -> 33% conformity
- Too many in the majority also lowered rates of conformity
- Max conformity rates at a 3:5 person majority
- Also found that if just one confederate agreed with the true participant, then independency is much higher

Asch and Perrin & Spencer
- Time of investigation
- Conformity rates higher in 1950s as a result of McCarthyism

Smith & Bond and Asch's Meta Analysis
- Place & culture
- Conformity rates higher in collectivist cultures opposed to individualistic
- Fiji (58% conformity) vs Belgium 14%
- These figures were compared against the 1991 average conformity rate of 37.1% and 25.3 % relative.

Hope this help :3
Reply 76
Original post by Cara_rose
Good notes can be found on this blog:
http://alevelpsychology.co.uk/?q=node&page=1
If you just have a look through.

Also: http://a-levelpsychologyaqa.blogspot.co.uk/

Has some very good general PSYA1 & PSYA2 notes.

Don't panic, you'll stress yourself out :wink: (See what I did there)

Anyway, hope this helps :'3

Thank you so much!!!!
Does anyone have a 12 marker for systematic desensitization ?
Would someone just run through biofeedback and stress innoculation for me pleaseeeee? I haven't got any notes on it, and I don't wanna be screwed if a question comes up on it! Thankies :smile:)
Reply 79
Would someone just run through biofeedback and stress innoculation for me pleaseeeee? I haven't got any notes on it, and I don't wanna be screwed if a question comes up on it! Thankies :smile:)

I haven't studied biofeedback, but I can outline SIT for you:

Miechenbaum's stress inoculation therapy (SIT) is a cognitive-behavioural therapy which helps individuals deal with stress. There are three steps to SIT - conceptualization, skills training and rehearsal, and application.

Conceptualization: the person works with the therapist to identify what causes them stress, and the key features of stressful encounters, such as how they think and behave in the situations identified. For example, public speaking may be one stressful encounter which causes stress, as the individual may be worried about what people think and may worry about making mistakes. Due to this, they may try their best to avoid the situation.

Skills training and rehearsal: the person is shown how to challenge the irrational thoughts that make them feel stressed (particularly 'catastrophising' thoughts such as 'it will be the end of the world if I mess up my speech in front of all those people.' This is the 'cognitive' aspect of the therapy. Relaxation training will also be taught in order to help bring bodily arousal under control during the stressful situation. Training may also be given in other areas. For example, people dealing with social anxiety could be taught voice control exercises, and non-verbal communication skills such as how to make appropriate eye contact with others. These are the 'behavioural' aspects of therapy. This initially takes place in a safe environment of the therapeutic setting.

Application: after sufficient skills training and rehearsal, the person puts it all into practice in the real world, for example, one may offer to do a talk at a local club. The therapist and client evaluate progress throughout and engage in more skills training and rehearsal if necessary.

Obviously cut the details down depending on how many marks the question is worth - but that's everything you need to know on the description of SIT.

Some evaluation points:

Strengths: it combines both behavioral and cognitive psychology and allows the individual to gain new skills in order to cope with stress. Due to this, they may gain more confidence and the individual may find the therapy empowering as they gain a sense of control over themselves.

SIT also overcomes some of the disadvantages of biological stress management treatments, for example side effects such as memory loss in people who take benzodiazepines. It can also be argued that it treats the cause of stress, rather than just treating the symptoms like biological therapy does. Furthermore, psychological methods such as SIT have no potential for addiction or tolerance problems like drug therapy, and may be more suitable for those with past addiction problems.

Weaknesses: there may be some problems with practicality. As opposed to drug therapy which starts to work quickly, SIT takes around 20-22 weeks to start working and is therefore very time consuming. It is also a long, costly, and rigorous process, where the patient must have motivation to keep going.

People may also be suspicious of SIT as it is an unfamiliar therapy in comparison to other treatments, such as drag therapy. This could put people off from trying the therapy.

I'm sure there are other evaluation points you could bring up, but that's more than enough in my opinion :smile: I hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending