The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by zdecent
It can be best summarised as this:

Teachers want fairer pay = Good
So until then they're refusing to mark work = bad

Well said mate.
This is happening at my uni too. Lets sue if we are rejected from jobs due to delayed results lol
Reply 62
Wow, what a great piece of advertising for higher apprenticeships and foreign unis(and the fact you aren't in so much debt.)
Original post by ArtGoblin
A tube strike is more disruptive than you getting your grades a bit late... Don't be so selfish.

Obviously you've never been in a position of it affecting you but it can be a huge problem for people trying to do placements to not have their grades on time.
Original post by redferry
Awarding degrees a bit late is hardly in the same ballpark as allowing people to die, get a grip.

You've missed my point completely and I think your derogatory tone makes it clear you can't have a detached debate about this topic.
My point was that this strike makes academics seem like they only care about pay, not their students. They could target the university by refusing to do paperwork, attend meeting or training etc.
If is affecting me but I am on the side of the academics etc carrying out this boycott.

All anyone ever cares about now is themselves.
Reply 66
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
If is affecting me but I am on the side of the academics etc carrying out this boycott.

All anyone ever cares about now is themselves.

What??? We care about the staff we care that they get a pay rise we JUST DONT want a delay on grades.
Original post by Berkz
What??? We care about the staff we care that they get a pay rise we JUST DONT want a delay on grades.

Taking industrial action (uis that right word for a public institution?) only has an effect when you cause disruption. That's just how it is.

Academics have also had day long strikes as well but have been ignored. This marking boycott is the next step.
(edited 10 years ago)
While I wholeheartedly support the right of academics to strike, I am not convinced that this will be an effective measure. Strike action merely turns the public against workers and allows private-sector worshippers to portray them as spitting the dummy, a beautifully condensed message which will reach a larger audience.
Original post by Klix88
Just to clarify, the UCU is putting the squeeze on students, so that students will kick up a fuss to the authorities. If enough students complain (*****HINT HINT TO THEIR UNIVERSITY'S VICE CHANCELLOR NOT A BUNCH OF STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET WHO CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT*****) then those in authority will go back to the negotiating table and the boycott will be called off.

If you'd just convert you internet anger to real world action, you can help both the lecturers and yourselves.

Anybody can be a keyboard cowboy. That's not going to achieve anything unless all you're looking for is a bunch of total strangers to agree with you and make you feel good about holding your opinion.

Hahaha so students are being used as tools for management change. At least they're not being treated like customers anymore, right!?
Original post by Moosferatu
While I wholeheartedly support the right of academics to strike, I am not convinced that this will be an effective measure. Strike action merely turns the public against workers and allows private-sector worshippers to portray them as spitting the dummy, a beautifully condensed message which will reach a larger audience.

Only because that is how people are conditioned.
Only because that is how people are conditioned.

Of course. But I fear the average member of the public would prefer not to think about that.
Of course. But I fear the average member of the public would prefer not to think about that.

Then we are screwed.
Then we are screwed.

That's neoliberalism for ya.
That's neoliberalism for ya.

:cool:
Tell me, how could the lecturers take action without affecting students? Their job is to educate students and get them through their degrees. Any form of strike is therefore going to affect this and, yes, disrupt students. If you've paid for your studies then it's the Universities you should be angry with - they are the ones you have a contract with, who now cannot provide you with an adequate service because they refuse to pay their staff a decent wage despite having plenty of cash reserves and a campaign including smaller, less disruptive strikes that has been ongoing for months. So write to your Vice-Chancellor, and ask him why he has almost certainly given himself a pay rise far above the measly 1% offered to staff after they have seen wages frozen since 2009. Don't blame the staff, many of whom know that if they don't take this action and win a fair deal they risk not only continuing cash flow problems what with the inflation on basic goods such as food, but particularly for those with families the imminent prospect of interest rates and thus their mortgage repayments rising whilst their wages continue to fall. They have been left with absolutely no choice here.
Reply 76
A strike is bound to have a reasonable objective, especially within the academic field… However, I also believe that displaying a form of empathy on behalf of the lecturer's is only natural as respectable individuals.

However, in my view the same courtesy is not returned in regards to ‘Us’ as ‘Students’ who inevitably will be affected by the means of this strike!

This thread was posted on a site targeted at students to generate awareness and try to establish a shared view that, although lectures have their views for why this strike should take place... ‘Us’ as ‘Students’ have ‘our’ views such as; we do not appreciate the fact that our part in all this is a helpless hostage ’!

As lecturers stand ‘Together’ to make a change for their own benefit, irrespective of who may be impacted! I am left confused as to why on a student based forum, instead of uniting together in attempt to prevent a potential disruption to our degree, such as… grade delays, risk of harsh/rushed marking and loss of potential jobs/grad schemes alongside many other negative impacts. The knock on effect that this strike will have is extremely detrimental to our future.

Also, just to clear up certain points that debating this on a forum is 'pointless' and for the people making humorous remarks such as “Keyboard Cowboys”… myself, alongside many others have already obtained contact with the relevant personnel to action the impact this will have. I play my role as a student to help prevent something that can have a negative impact on not only myself but also several other individuals.

Excellent point in the letter shared by zdecent
“We fully support the ends but not the means”
#BackOffBoycott
Reply 77
Original post by Berkz
Oh wow, really?? That is not the way it is. Think about it, there are alternatives to the types of strikes they could do to get what they want, punishing students is not the way.
If the Union doesn't give in and this goes on for months this is a huge problem.

Now let me tell you the affects a 'delayed degree' will have on us students.
1. I will not be able to get into the graduate schemes I want as I can't prove the grades I have.
2. What have we done to deserve this? When we protested that the tuition fees were going up did anything happen.? No...
3. I want my grades its my right I pay for them to be marked on time, properly...
4. If it gets sent off to other Universities to be marked they might be less understanding of the way our professors wanted it marked, major problem...

You seem to have fundamentally misunderstood the concept of industrial action.
Reply 78
Original post by joker12345
You've missed my point completely and I think your derogatory tone makes it clear you can't have a detached debate about this topic.
My point was that this strike makes academics seem like they only care about pay, not their students. They could target the university by refusing to do paperwork, attend meeting or training etc.

Well clearly this is the tactic that will be most effective whilst not causing any major issues...
Reply 79
Original post by Profesh
You seem to have fundamentally misunderstood the concept of industrial action.

Oh, I'm sorry. Please enlighten me, master... What is the concept of an industrial action??

Latest

Trending

Trending