The Student Room Group

Health and social care level 3 year 2 URGENT

Hi, I have an urgent query about my course. I'm in my final year of this course, which I've immensely enjoyed, but my college messed up my class's predicted first-year grades, even though we completed the coursework and it was never graded. This was owing to the number of teachers who failed to attend college. I wonder why.. it's because the department of health and social care has the worst teamwork skills and organisation skills*which have stressed them out to the point where they have left us in the shadows, but I honestly don't blame them! As you can imagine the other teachers that were hired to fill in the gaps left which just became a repetitive cycle as they are having to pick up the pieces the previous teachers taught in order to deliver the unit effectively.

Besides this, exams were all marked and there are no issues with them, but I honestly have no idea how this happened due to the lack of communication my class received from the college, as a result of which I have completely wasted my time doing my first year coursework units as they took our first year exam grades, for which I received a D and a M for units 1 and 2, and now they have put 1*D overall for my first year grades and the rest are M's, despite the fact that I had aimed for all D's.

As a result of our exhaustion from attempting to resolve these issues with the college, the class quickly forgot about our first-year grades temporarily. We even tried to reach out to Ofsted, but the college wouldn't let them speak with us, which was so obvious given the amount of staff hoarding them. They also took Ofsted to other classes, leaving health and social care out of the picture, despite the fact that we were the ones who needed assistance out of all the other courses! I attempted to find the silver lining in the fact that I was able to improve my grades in the second year despite receiving all D's in the second*year, allowing me to make up for them. However, this has not been the case for everyone in my class, as some students received Ps throughout their entire first year, which is absurd given that I know they are superior at coursework. Because it combines examinations and coursework, isn't this the reason why btec was created? Some students excel in their coursework, while others struggle and do better at exams. It is not reasonable to predict coursework based on exam results.

This is not my primary concern at the moment, however, one of the units incorporates unit 6, which deals with work experience. This unit has been authorised despite the fact that placement has not been completed. I am particularly concerned about unit 6 because we are required to complete 200 hours over the course of two years. We were never instructed to complete the hours in the first year, and it was already graded and signed off for unit 6, so there is no purpose in completing the hours. However, students must complete a work placement in order to earn the BTEC certificate. Then, midway through the second year, btec informed us that our college would be excused 100 hours due to "complications." You can assume that by this time the entire class was panicked and angry due to the excessive amount of coursework and exams already assigned to us. As neither working in a pharmacy nor in a nursery counts as a placement, our options for placement were extremely limited at the time. In the end, the majority of us were able to secure placements, but I am currently employed as a domiciliary worker and will not be able to complete 100 hours in time. I emphasised this to my manager, but I am unable to receive additional hours. In other words, our institution deceived us, and I'm now concerned that I won't receive my certificate on time. This year, I applied to many universities and was accepted to the ones I desired; however, my lack of work experience may delay my certificate, and I may not be accepted to university...

As a quick update, the college have also put in writing we don't need to complete the 100 hours and that university doesn't need the hours but it would be good for experience which is true but BTEC specifically asked for 100 hours and I don't believe they will allow any less. I still wait for an update with my college.

My college is a complete mess; we have written letters and essentially done everything in our power, but it is difficult to advocate for yourself when no one listens. This text demonstrates that the college is unconcerned about our wellbeing and merely attempts to pass it off. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you very much.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by lxy.1
Hi, I have an urgent query about my course. I'm in my final year of this course, which I've immensely enjoyed, but my college messed up my class's predicted first-year grades, even though we completed the coursework and it was never graded. This was owing to the number of teachers who failed to attend college. I wonder why.. it's because the department of health and social care has the worst teamwork skills and organisation skills*which have stressed them out to the point where they have left us in the shadows, but I honestly don't blame them! As you can imagine the other teachers that were hired to fill in the gaps left which just became a repetitive cycle as they are having to pick up the pieces the previous teachers taught in order to deliver the unit effectively.

Besides this, exams were all marked and there are no issues with them, but I honestly have no idea how this happened due to the lack of communication my class received from the college, as a result of which I have completely wasted my time doing my first year coursework units as they took our first year exam grades, for which I received a D and a M for units 1 and 2, and now they have put 1*D overall for my first year grades and the rest are M's, despite the fact that I had aimed for all D's.

As a result of our exhaustion from attempting to resolve these issues with the college, the class quickly forgot about our first-year grades temporarily. We even tried to reach out to Ofsted, but the college wouldn't let them speak with us, which was so obvious given the amount of staff hoarding them. They also took Ofsted to other classes, leaving health and social care out of the picture, despite the fact that we were the ones who needed assistance out of all the other courses! I attempted to find the silver lining in the fact that I was able to improve my grades in the second year despite receiving all D's in the second*year, allowing me to make up for them. However, this has not been the case for everyone in my class, as some students received Ps throughout their entire first year, which is absurd given that I know they are superior at coursework. Because it combines examinations and coursework, isn't this the reason why btec was created? Some students excel in their coursework, while others struggle and do better at exams. It is not reasonable to predict coursework based on exam results.

This is not my primary concern at the moment, however, one of the units incorporates unit 6, which deals with work experience. This unit has been authorised despite the fact that placement has not been completed. I am particularly concerned about unit 6 because we are required to complete 200 hours over the course of two years. We were never instructed to complete the hours in the first year, and it was already graded and signed off for unit 6, so there is no purpose in completing the hours. However, students must complete a work placement in order to earn the BTEC certificate. Then, midway through the second year, btec informed us that our college would be excused 100 hours due to "complications." You can assume that by this time the entire class was panicked and angry due to the excessive amount of coursework and exams already assigned to us. As neither working in a pharmacy nor in a nursery counts as a placement, our options for placement were extremely limited at the time. In the end, the majority of us were able to secure placements, but I am currently employed as a domiciliary worker and will not be able to complete 100 hours in time. I emphasised this to my manager, but I am unable to receive additional hours. In other words, our institution deceived us, and I'm now concerned that I won't receive my certificate on time. This year, I applied to many universities and was accepted to the ones I desired; however, my lack of work experience may delay my certificate, and I may not be accepted to university...

As a quick update, the college have also put in writing we don't need to complete the 100 hours and that university doesn't need the hours but it would be good for experience which is true but BTEC specifically asked for 100 hours and I don't believe they will allow any less. I still wait for an update with my college.

My college is a complete mess; we have written letters and essentially done everything in our power, but it is difficult to advocate for yourself when no one listens. This text demonstrates that the college is unconcerned about our wellbeing and merely attempts to pass it off. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you very much.

Sorry to hear of this difficult situation! Have you told the college that if they don't sort it you'll contact Ofsted directly? As that could be something you could do. If you scroll down towards the bottom of this page it has contact details for Ofsted: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ofsted

I hope you get it sorted soon. If not then perhaps contact your university and explain the situation.
Reply 2
thank you, i'll try that link now. Really appreciate it.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending