The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

I can't decide where to go to University!?

I love cities. I like busy. Some people think that's weird but still.
I like having things to do, good nightlife, nice restaurants and cafe's. Somewhere that is good for students and generally safe (I know all cities have crime, some worse than others).

Does anybody know anything about Bristol, Leeds or Sheffield? I'm from Scotland and want to get away. I LOVE Glasgow but it's too much like home.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ZoeD0204
I like having things to do, good nightlife, nice restaurants and cafe's. Somewhere that is good for students and generally safe (I know all cities have crime, some worse than others).

Does anybody know anything about Bristol, Leeds or Sheffield? I'm from Scotland and want to get away. I LOVE Glasgow but it's too much like home.

Bristol Leeds and Sheffield all fit that bill.

Best nightlife = Leeds
Best restaurants = Bristol unless you are a curry fiend then I'd go for one of the other two
Best countryside = Leeds
Best city when its sunny = Bristol

I did my undergraduate at Bristol and post grad at Leeds so I know both cities well if you have any questions :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I live in sheff and it's a really lovely place to live, it is completely safe and everyone tends to be really friendly :smile: nightlife is good here and you can go out cheaply, best nights out, corporation on a Friday and Monday! So good! I've been to corp on a fiver and had an amazing night. Other good places include plug, carver st, west st live if you like a loud atmosphere. Really great place to live :smile:
Reply 3
Hey,
I got an offer from Bristol and Strathclyde for Msc accounting and finance. . Which would you suggest keeping in mind the reputation and the course.
Original post by redferry
Bristol Leeds and Sheffield all fit that bill.

Best nightlife = Leeds
Best restaurants = Bristol unless you are a curry fiend then I'd go for one of the other two
Best countryside = Leeds
Best city when its sunny = Bristol

I did my undergraduate at Bristol and post grad at Leeds so I know both cities well if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by ZoeD0204

What course are you doing? Which place teaches the course the way you think you will like best? What about intake size? Faculty to student ratio? Facilities? Might want to consider all those.

Personally I would go for Bristol given that it is a very strong university domestically and global and often viewed as a prime alternative to Oxbridge. Though Sheffield and Leeds are also great they don't have as high a global reputation though Leeds in terms of social scene wins hands down. Travelling time cost is a factor you may want to consider meaning Leeds would be ideal.
Original post by arpanm
Hey,
I got an offer from Bristol and Strathclyde for Msc accounting and finance. . Which would you suggest keeping in mind the reputation and the course.

Bristol
Reply 6
Original post by arpanm
Hey,

I have absolutely no knowledge of Strathclyde so really couldn't say I'm afraid! I'd have a look at the course content for each and see which you think you'd prefer.
Reply 7
Original post by Warrior King
Bristol

Thanks..
It's really confusing..
Reply 8
I have absolutely no knowledge of Strathclyde so really couldn't say I'm afraid! I'd have a look at the course content for each and see which you think you'd prefer.

Strathclyde has a triple accreditation and each subject/course has 20 credits and 32 hrs of lectures and teaching.
Bristol gives 15 credits to each subject and 21_24 hrs of lectures.

In subject wise rankings Strathclyde is 4th for accounting and finance while bristol Is 15th.
In over all rankings bristol is 15th and Strathclyde is 41st.

Does this help??
Reply 9
Original post by arpanm
Strathclyde has a triple accreditation and each subject/course has 20 credits and 32 hrs of lectures and teaching.
Bristol gives 15 credits to each subject and 21_24 hrs of lectures.

In subject wise rankings Strathclyde is 4th for accounting and finance while bristol Is 15th.
In over all rankings bristol is 15th and Strathclyde is 41st.

Does this help??

You have to decide for yourself I'm afraid.

Some people will say Bristol has more of an international reputation but if you think the course at Strathclyde looks better if go there!
My selection of Bristol is based on reputation in general internationally though I am aware strathclyde is highly rated for business programmes.

However rankings mean nothing and even if say Bristol was rated 15th it is still a reputable university and I am sure it would offer high quality teaching. It would be the same if say Oxford was ranked 20th for Medicine, it would not mean the course was terrible and would not mean that top applicants would be put off from applying.
Reply 11
You have to decide for yourself I'm afraid.

Some people will say Bristol has more of an international reputation but if you think the course at Strathclyde looks better if go there!

That's the scariest part. Travelling abroad to study and having to make a decision which i cannot change.

I just got an offer from Exeter as well. So things just got tougher. haha..

Thanks for your help. If you do get to know something pls let me know.
Reply 12
My selection of Bristol is based on reputation in general internationally though I am aware strathclyde is highly rated for business programmes.

However rankings mean nothing and even if say Bristol was rated 15th it is still a reputable university and I am sure it would offer high quality teaching. It would be the same if say Oxford was ranked 20th for Medicine, it would not mean the course was terrible and would not mean that top applicants would be put off from applying.

Ya, i get what you are trying to say. Thanks for your help.

I just got an offer from Exeter, complicating things even more for me.

If you do get to know something and have any further advice, please do let me know.

Thanks.
Original post by arpanm
Ya, i get what you are trying to say. Thanks for your help.

I just got an offer from Exeter, complicating things even more for me.

If you do get to know something and have any further advice, please do let me know.

Thanks.

Well Exeter is a great uni too no bias lol
Reply 14
Well Exeter is a great uni too no bias lol

Hahaha.. well I have shortened it to exeter and strathclyde. I like the course and other things of both the unis.. so now it comes down to the climate..lol
Thanks again for your help.
Original post by arpanm
Hahaha.. well I have shortened it to exeter and strathclyde. I like the course and other things of both the unis.. so now it comes down to the climate..lol
Thanks again for your help.

Then Exeter it is though out of the three I'd still have gone for Bristol but again that's my opinion
Reply 16
I got Bristol or Nottingham for finance and accounting , any advice which to firm ?
Reply 17
Original post by Angieganjy
I got Bristol or Nottingham for finance and accounting , any advice which to firm ?

i would say bristol
Reply 18
Then Exeter it is though out of the three I'd still have gone for Bristol but again that's my opinion

Haha.. thanks..
Reply 19
Bristol or Durham? Both unconditional for law! I need help :/ it's a hard choice ><

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending