The Student Room Group

Greatest English midfielder of the modern Era?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TRS-T
Gerrard is/was the better player.

Scholes has become overrated because Xavi and Iniesta praised him.

Lol as a Utd fan, I agree with this. That PFA team you posted says it all really.
Original post by Over2you
Lol as a Utd fan, I agree with this. That PFA team you posted says it all really.

Ashley Young has been in the team of the year more than Robin Van Persie
Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Bryan Robson
Reply 43
Lee Cattermole.
Reply 44
Original post by manchesterunited15

That's with reason though. RVP has been injured on and off for the past 10 years. Gerrad and Scholes have been consistently playing.
Original post by TRS-T
Gerrard is/was the better player.

Scholes has become overrated because Xavi and Iniesta praised him.

No sorry, I'm afraid that's the wrong answer.
Original post by Over2you
That's with reason though. RVP has been injured on and off for the past 10 years. Gerrad and Scholes have been consistently playing.

Meh RVP has made more PL appearances than Young.

But anyway, Gerrard has been in more because he's more spectacular, doesn't mean he's better.
Reply 47

They've both been in the Premier League version twice.

Ashley Young was in the Championship version once as well.
Thats a tough one. I say its between Scholes and Gerrard and find it hard to seperate them tbh. Imo, Scholes was the better player and more technical than Gerrard although Gerrard is just outstanding. Both of those players have had and still having (Gerrard) amazing careers. It all comes down to a preference thing. Liverpool fans will say Gerrard and United fans will say Scholes.
Original post by TRS-T
They've both been in the Premier League version twice.

Ashley Young was in the Championship version once as well.

Oh yeah true. My point still stands though
Reply 50
Gerrard.
Reply 51
Inb4 Scholes.

Gerrard for me. Although Scholes could control a game better than Gerrard in his later years. Gerrard had that ability to control a game, score goals at the right time, avoided breaking people's legs when he had to tackle and others. Playing in such a crap system where he basically through balled it over the top to Torres all game didn't help.

Both top players but Gerrard just about edges it.

Lamps for me is essentially a second striker who can pass more than a midfielder.
(edited 10 years ago)
Gerrard.
Gunther, unusual name for an Englishman

Fair do s but he set my standard. My favourite in the English game is a different type of player - Paul Scholes. His ability to bring the ball down fast and distribute it immediately in a way most damaging to the opposition was a joy to watch. His discipline in not "pushing forward" too much was awesome. A lesser player with his shooting ability would have wanted to be a semi forward / goalscorer but he was happy in the engine room. I am not surprised that the likes of Iniesta rated him so highly as did every coach in Europe.
Reply 54
United fans: Gerrard

Liverpool fans: Scholes

Me: Gerrard

Majority of non-United and Liverpool fans: Gerrard
Reply 55
Gazza. Scholes if Gazza doesn't count as modern era.
People say Gerrard as he's been the "driving force" behind their title challenge (with 11 penalties) but they forget how Lampard did the same. 3x. Best midfielder for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Everyone will say Gerrard because only players that score goals can be good. It's kinda weird that defensive players are rarely up for the Ballon d'Or, eh? Guess they must all be crap.

Gerrard and Scholes are completely different players anyway, so comparing them is a bit dumb. "Midfielder" is quite a general term for a lot of types of players, and the attacking ones will always come out better if you group them like that.
Reply 58
Original post by -TheSpecialOne-
People say Gerrard as he's been the "driving force" behind their title challenge (with 11 penalties) but they forget how Lampard did the same. 3x. Best midfielder for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lampard, like Chelsea, is terrible to watch. Only Chelsea fans enjoy seeing Chelsea win, as they tend to be dire to watch.
Original post by pane123
Lampard, like Chelsea, is terrible to watch. Only Chelsea fans enjoy seeing Chelsea win, as they tend to be dire to watch.

Lol and who do you support? If Lampard was so boring how come he's got over 200 goals? Having a laugh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest