The Student Room Group

How Do You Prepare for English Close Reading Exam?

Any tips on how to prepare for the English Close Reading exam that's coming soon, instead of just doing past papers? I actually feel that i can't prepare for it as it is unseen, so how do you prepare for it?
Reply 1
Hiya.
I prepare for closed book exams by reading and re-reading the book, and colour coding what the actions and speech of the characters.
You can also do mind maps (with quotes you think are important), for every few pages, or every chapter/ scene/ act. But focus on the themes too and hidden meanings.
Or you can go through the books/ play (or whatever your studying) and write the most important points or what's happening for every page. (Or all of them)

If you don't want to do any more writing, ask a parent/ friend/ sibling etc to help you revise. - Get them to open the book at a random page, and get them to read out a few lines from one of the pages, or a little summary of the pages and then you try and expand on what they've said.
This method works better if you're doing it with someone in the same class as you because you can work off each other and use your strengths to help their weakness and visa versa - and come up with better ideas!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending