The Student Room Group

Decent music has been replaced by the likes of Miley Cyrus and One Direction

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Quantex
It has been this way since the 1980s.

the 80s had some great music ...
Reply 21
It's just trendy to grumble about how bad "today's music" is. Take almost any random music video on Youtube from the last 50 years, and it's pretty much a given that most of the comments will be about how great "real" music was, and how Miley and Justin Bieber are the anti-Christ.

Big deal. Grow up. There's nothing quite as immature as being arrogant about music.

When Elvis first hit the big time, the same thing was said - he was all about image and sex and didn't write anything of his own.

The Monkees were a completely manufactured band and weren't even supposed to be "real" yet retrospectively they're supposed to be great.

Debbie Harry did her time as a Playboy bunny before moving on to what was in the early 80s considered plastic bubblegum pop - and now that her fans are all grown up...it's cool again.

Take That - in their time were more 1D than 1D. Give it a few years and they're a "man band" and cool again. Same with Ronan Keating.

There have always been apparently talentless prettyboys/girls in popular music; and the only other real constant has been kids trying to be cool by slating them.
Original post by Tomsta
the 80s had some great music ...

Well yes, but they also had Bros.
Reply 23
Original post by Quantex
Well yes, but they also had Bros.

Who are they??
Not true.

[video="youtube;X_rTLSCP6us"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_rTLSCP6us[/video]

The above song came out in 2013.
I'm a huge fan of the 80s, I don't see how music has taken such a huge turn for the worst in only 30 or so years (to be honest I am a big One Direction fan - their music is improving with age and are much better role models compared to the likes of Miley)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Clip
It's just trendy to grumble about how bad "today's music" is. Take almost any random music video on Youtube from the last 50 years, and it's pretty much a given that most of the comments will be about how great "real" music was, and how Miley and Justin Bieber are the anti-Christ.

Big deal. Grow up. There's nothing quite as immature as being arrogant about music.

When Elvis first hit the big time, the same thing was said - he was all about image and sex and didn't write anything of his own.

The Monkees were a completely manufactured band and weren't even supposed to be "real" yet retrospectively they're supposed to be great.

Debbie Harry did her time as a Playboy bunny before moving on to what was in the early 80s considered plastic bubblegum pop - and now that her fans are all grown up...it's cool again.

Take That - in their time were more 1D than 1D. Give it a few years and they're a "man band" and cool again. Same with Ronan Keating.

There have always been apparently talentless prettyboys/girls in popular music; and the only other real constant has been kids trying to be cool by slating them.

The point is now a days you don't need that much talent to make it in music you just need to look sexy or handsome, that's what the companies care about, back in the 60s/70s there was no such thing as Photoshop ergo people had to rely on talent
Original post by Tomsta
Who are they??

An 80s boy band that have apparently been forgotten by the passing of time.
Reply 28
Original post by Quantex
An 80s boy band that have apparently been forgotten by the passing of time.

Well apparently true as both myself and my mum are huge fans of the 80s and i haven't heard that name at all
Original post by ChloelovesChem
I'm a huge fan of the 80s, I don't see how music has taken such a huge turn for the worst in only 30 or so years (to be honest I am a big One Direction fan - their music is improving with age and are much better role models compared to the likes of Miley)

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was bad music in the '80s as well. :tongue: And there still is good music around today; you just have to look for it. There are a few hit songs nowadays that don't really deserve to be hit songs, but the majority of them are actually pretty good. Every so often there are some really fantastic ones, as well!

Out of interest, what kind of '80s artists are you a fan of?
Original post by Tomsta
Well apparently true as both myself and my mum are huge fans of the 80s and i haven't heard that name at all

Ironically, their biggest hit was When Will I Be Famous?
Reply 31
Original post by Quantex
Ironically, their biggest hit was When Will I Be Famous?

Not sure if that's ironic
Meh, people can listen to what they want. Although Miley Cyrus has just lost the plot, she doesn't seem to realise that the majority of her fan base are about 12.

What at annoys me about the music business is how you'll hear a new song or style, which is pretty catchy, then within weeks pretty much all new songs sound the same. It's like they're just following a formula to make a song which matches the new style so they can make lots of money. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but you do notice it from time to time.
Reply 33
Original post by Tomsta
The point is now a days you don't need that much talent to make it in music you just need to look sexy or handsome, that's what the companies care about, back in the 60s/70s there was no such thing as Photoshop ergo people had to rely on talent

That is such nonsense. 25 years ago, arguably the big charting artists had much less talent than they do now. 2-unlimited sold tens of millions of records without any discenable talent at all. There are a gazillion good looking but musically mediocre acts throughout the decades - it's not anything new at all.

The only real difference is how you look back on it. I happen to really like Adam Ant. Back then, the same thing was said - he was just a mainstream, chart-topping pretty boy with no talent. Give it 20 years and he's post-modern and ironic. Give it another 10 and all of a sudden he's so much better than everything that came before.

Look at Gaga. How is she actually any different from Elton John? They're both mad, piano-playing singer/songwriters who sell huge pop songs and wear mad glasses. One's gay, the other is a gay icon. It's because the people doing the criticising often weren't around for Elton John and don't realise that Gaga's no better or worse.
Reply 34
Original post by Quantex
It has been this way since the 1980s.

Was just thinking that. Pop music has been manufactured for a good while now. Remember, the best music stands the test of time. There was a lot of terrible, forgettable and patronising music in the eighties. The nineties weren't much better with boy/girls bands, but I guess sexual suggestiveness was a lot less prevalent. One Direction are pretty innocent, clean fun though. Not for me but pretty harmless fluff.

Miley is god awful though, trying so hard to be an artist like Peaches but bless her, it just doesn't work. She also wears gargantuan fur coats :| and holy balls girl, stop acting like you are the pioneer of weed smoking.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Clip
That is such nonsense. 25 years ago, arguably the big charting artists had much less talent than they do now. 2-unlimited sold tens of millions of records without any discenable talent at all. There are a gazillion good looking but musically mediocre acts throughout the decades - it's not anything new at all.

The only real difference is how you look back on it. I happen to really like Adam Ant. Back then, the same thing was said - he was just a mainstream, chart-topping pretty boy with no talent. Give it 20 years and he's post-modern and ironic. Give it another 10 and all of a sudden he's so much better than everything that came before.

Look at Gaga. How is she actually any different from Elton John? They're both mad, piano-playing singer/songwriters who sell huge pop songs and wear mad glasses. One's gay, the other is a gay icon. It's because the people doing the criticising often weren't around for Elton John and don't realise that Gaga's no better or worse.

Eltons songs are good though, Gaga's are crap

And i don't class chart music as good music, most of the good artists arn't on the top charts they are the unknowns by most of the world, Orianthi for example ...
Original post by brightcitylights
How did this happen? Will music ever go back to being about talented people who actually write meaningful music?

It's been like that since popular music has been a thing. It's not new in the slightest. Milli Vanilli won a Grammy in the early 90s and they didn't even sing on their record. They mimed at live shows, AND in the studio.

Guy Mitchell was around and popular in the 1950s and he wrote absolutely diddly squat. Hell, Elvis Presley didn't write most of his stuff.

Artists like that have always been around. There are also artists that do exactly what you expect of musicians. To find them, you just have to not listen exclusively to the top 40.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
many years ago the record labels would sign an artist or a band and stick with them while they evolved and found an audience, the record companies were backing their judgement... look up some of the discographies of big old bands - quite often they'd put out some albums that did nothing without getting dumped by the label before they eventually did hit the paydirt.

these days record companies will immediately dump an artist if the first single isn't a hit.

despite the internet making it easier in theory for a band to promote itself, most people still respond to massive record industry promotion - the record industry is risk averse and prefers to pump out more of the same bland focus group driven stuff that it already knows there's a market for.
Vera Lynn didn't write her own ****ing songs. She started this whole thing.
Say what you want about One Direction, but I think they are a big improvement on Daphne and Celeste from 2000:

[video="youtube;bqn7vXeVCLE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqn7vXeVCLE[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest