The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Missed UCL accommodation deadline, anything else i can do?

I have firmed an offer to study Mathematics this September at UCL, and I'm 95% sure i've made the grades (Just sat A levels)

I missed the UCL accommodation deadline, meaning I don't think I can get a place at halls.
I can't afford private accommodation, unless I end up staying far from campus which will be a huge pain.

Only option I can see atm is a gap year

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Have you tried contacting the uni directly about this?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Carrotsroom
Have you tried contacting the uni directly about this?

Yeah they were useless, completely ignored my when I asked about the likelihood of me getting accommodation if I can get on the waiting list.
They just said unlucky, you better look for alternative accommodation
Can't you find another third party accommodation like private halls nearby?
and also gap year should be the absolute last resort IMO and if you do make sure you do it through your uni aka have them defer ur place
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by hakunamatata1225
Can't you find another third party accommodation like private halls nearby?
and also gap year should be the absolute last resort IMO and if you do make sure you do it through your uni aka have them defer ur place

I've looked at some private accommodation, I'd rather not pay twice as much just to end up further away and probably have a worse social life.
Also I dont think UCL allow deferrals so i'd have to apply again most likely
I’m not entirely sure as I’m an international student in the same boat- but looking at intercollegiate halls with university of London it seems like you will be able to directly be able to apply for their accommodation in early September for the rooms they have left which I hope will be better than the ucl waiting list or private accommodation.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
UCL is my insurance and I won't know until the 17th of August if I've made the STEP grade requirement at Imperial.... So, no accommodation at UCL for me. Now I'm in a big dilemma, it seems like it's going to be close to impossible to find any decent student accommodation close to the campus so close to the start date. A few that I found are stupidly expensive. And I just don't understand how one will build up a social circle when not living with fellow uni mates.

Any suggestions for intercollegiate halls close to the bloomsbury campus? I'm international and not familiar with the areas and localities so it's even harder for me to search online.

If I don't get decent student accommodation close to campus with a good mix of Uni students I will have to give up my place at UCL.
Reply 7
There's a private halls in Muswell Hill which is very very reasonable (for London) called Chester Hall. Give it a go. For UCL it's one direct bus ride door to door.
Reply 8
Original post by Trinculo
There's a private halls in Muswell Hill which is very very reasonable (for London) called Chester Hall. Give it a go. For UCL it's one direct bus ride door to door.

Just checked it out man, thanks. BUt it's still like 38-40 mins bus ride away. Do I want to spend my first year traveling almost 1.30 hours to attend classes? I'm not sure yet.

Just got the lowdown about UOL inter-collegiate halls. They allot a certain quota to UCL which becomes part of UCL's accommodation offering. I'm not eligible for that since I'm insurance. Then on september 1st I can apply to be on UOL's wait-list, if they have anything available they will offer me a room. That's cutting it too close don't you think? I'm coming from thousands of miles away to a new huge city; do I want to deal with that stress?

I just hope I make it to Imperial, else I'm leaning towards my secured admission in the US.
Reply 9
hello, I'm also an international student looking for accommodation since I didn't get ucl halls. I know 100% that i'm going to ucl (I did IB so we got our results last week). i managed to book a (way too expensive) private hall as a back-up. i thought ideally i'll cancel it and find smth better in terms of price and location, but i haven't.

Chester house seems nice even tho it's a bit far, does anyone know more about how legit it is and if there are many ucl students there?

I am also considering getting a studio flat for 3 months, if I can find one at a decent price, and joining the waitlists for ucl student halls (and for intercollegiate halls + cheaper private halls). as an international student i think we will get prioritised, but there's no guarantee with the waitlist. Does anyone on here know how successful the waitlist is for international students in particular?

ok lastly, just wanna send moral support to everyone here because this is STRESSFUL.
Original post by maitreyin
i thought ideally i'll cancel it and find smth better in terms of price and location, but i haven't.

Have you checked the cancellation clause for your booking? It's different accommodation to accommodation but generally speaking you won't be able to cancel it unless you didn't get your uni offer or that you didn't get your student visa, and therefore won't be in London afterall. If not, you have to find your own replacement, and until you do, you have to keep paying rent.
Reply 11
Original post by BubblesBB
Have you checked the cancellation clause for your booking? It's different accommodation to accommodation but generally speaking you won't be able to cancel it unless you didn't get your uni offer or that you didn't get your student visa, and therefore won't be in London afterall. If not, you have to find your own replacement, and until you do, you have to keep paying rent.

Thanks - that was something I considered. At my place I can cancel up until a certain date, which is in a couple of weeks. It just means I only have the next two weeks to figure out an alternative, or settle for this.
Original post by gstechman
I have firmed an offer to study Mathematics this September at UCL, and I'm 95% sure i've made the grades (Just sat A levels)

I missed the UCL accommodation deadline, meaning I don't think I can get a place at halls.
I can't afford private accommodation, unless I end up staying far from campus which will be a huge pain.

Only option I can see atm is a gap year

Any advice?

On September 1st at midnight University of London halls put all there leftover rooms for all there halls online to book through their accommodation portal. I would recommend trying that as a last resort
Reply 13
Original post by Elizabeth2002h
On September 1st at midnight University of London halls put all there leftover rooms for all there halls online to book through their accommodation portal. I would recommend trying that as a last resort

Historically what has the outcome been, are there many rooms leftover? September 1st may be too late for me.
Original post by amk1804
Historically what has the outcome been, are there many rooms leftover? September 1st may be too late for me.

Not sure what the outcome has been before, but if it's a last resort, it could be worth a shot. Are there any of the private halls available like IQ?
Reply 15
Original post by Elizabeth2002h
Not sure what the outcome has been before, but if it's a last resort, it could be worth a shot. Are there any of the private halls available like IQ?

IQ is available; almost 350 pounds per week and has a 51 week contract which I won't be using. It's also almost 1.5 miles away so a long walk or I will have to take the bus or tube.

Even if it wasn't for the above factors, I'm worried about forming a social circle with my class/uni mates. I don't want to be locked up isolated in my room. How does one build a social circle when living in non university accommodation?
Try uoL accommodation which is a two minute walk from the ucl campus with decent prices. They have three common rooms which are decent to build a social circle and you’ll be able to meet some new people. Many second year snd first years reside there, majority are from ucl too
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
Try uoL accommodation which is a two minute walk from the ucl campus with decent prices. They have three common rooms which are decent to build a social circle and you’ll be able to meet some new people. Many second year snd first years reside there, majority are from ucl too

The UOL dorms which are near UCL are alloted through UCL only, can't book direct with them
Original post by amk1804
The UOL dorms which are near UCL are alloted through UCL only, can't book direct with them

Email UCl to see if they have spaces available
Reply 19
Yup will do that, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending