The Student Room Group

Aqa psyb1 and psyb2 summer 2014 exam help/questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neenee1
What does everyone think will come up on the explanation of gender approaches, I have a feeling it will be kohlbergs theory and gender schema, also any ideas for psyb2?

My teacher seems to think cognitive will come up for gender too. I'm not sure about approaches - biological has never come up and behaviourist was in early 2011. I hope cognitive and humanistic don't come up :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by silverling
My teacher seems to think cognitive will come up for gender too. I'm not sure about approaches - biological has never come up and behaviourist was in early 2011. I hope cognitive and humanistic don't come up :frown:

Yeah same! I really hope cognitive doesn't come up in the approaches, like it doesn't make any SENCE to me :frown: good luck anyway
Original post by Neenee1
Yeah same! I really hope cognitive doesn't come up in the approaches, like it doesn't make any SENCE to me :frown: good luck anyway

Might even be a compare approaches essay
Guys, I don't really understand how to speak about gender schema, any tips?
And for the General Approaches for cognitive, if it does come up id just do this:
State the two models-
Information Processing: We are compared to computers, and the theory states that we encode information from our environment, we then store or transform the information, then out put a reaction.

Then literally learn this definition for the computational theory-This is the idea that the mind is mind up of a huge array of neurones or nodes, and that the connections between these nodes form an activating patter, which represents a learnt or meaningful association between two or more environmental stimuli.

For A02 i'd put: Has been used to explain types of depression, and they use scientific experimental methods, therefore has empirical evidence
Yet, the cognitive approach ignores the influence of biology such as genes, and has been deemed to be over simplistic. Furthermore, it can be said that it is a crude comparison between humans and computers. In addition to this, the use of artificial lab tests, means application ot real life situations is limited, therefore lacking ecological validity.
Reply 24
Original post by Daniel Matz
Guys, I don't really understand how to speak about gender schema, any tips?
And for the General Approaches for cognitive, if it does come up id just do this:
State the two models-
Information Processing: We are compared to computers, and the theory states that we encode information from our environment, we then store or transform the information, then out put a reaction.

Then literally learn this definition for the computational theory-This is the idea that the mind is mind up of a huge array of neurones or nodes, and that the connections between these nodes form an activating patter, which represents a learnt or meaningful association between two or more environmental stimuli.

For A02 i'd put: Has been used to explain types of depression, and they use scientific experimental methods, therefore has empirical evidence
Yet, the cognitive approach ignores the influence of biology such as genes, and has been deemed to be over simplistic. Furthermore, it can be said that it is a crude comparison between humans and computers. In addition to this, the use of artificial lab tests, means application ot real life situations is limited, therefore lacking ecological validity.

talk about how cognitive processes need to be studied to understand why we do human behaviors.
Mental processes occur between stimulus and response
how we use models to understand complex theories.
Reply 25
Original post by iknowyouknow
In the biological approach do we talk about bio-psychology too?

5 AO1

- Physical structures like brain, Cns, dna are responsible for human behaviour
- DNA is inherited
- hormones responsible for behaviour e.g low levels of serotonin in brain causes OCD.
- Aggression is a by product of evolution
- sex chromosomes determine gender
- describe a study: belodi,diamond(bruce riemer) ect.

5 AO2

- v.scientific
- artificial lacks eco val
- rejects influence of environment
- rejects cognitve factors
- deterministic
- reductionist
How did you all find it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought it was quite a nice paper (: behaviourist 10 marker= beautiful.
How much of research methods did everyone include on the behaviourist essay? I think I focused too much on evaluating the research methods but not enough of the general assumptions and stuff :/
I didn't revise much for the humanistic approach due to it coming up as an essay last year and so the first question really threw me :eek:
Reply 30
Think I seriously messed up this paper!! The last exam of the day and I had already sat two before it! My only hope is that i do better on the exam next week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eeeew today's paper was gross!
Well, it wasn't too bad, I was almost certain that the behaviourist approach wasn't going to come up!
I'm so glad I get extra time, I was nowhere near finishing when everyone else had finished!
I hope all of you had fun with today's psyb1 :P
Original post by squishysquid
How much of research methods did everyone include on the behaviourist essay? I think I focused too much on evaluating the research methods but not enough of the general assumptions and stuff :/

Eeeesh the behaviourist was a bit eeeh for me!
I kinda included Pavlov when I discussed Classical Conditioning.. I would've mentioned Watson and Rayners study but I didn't have the time!
I did mention and did evaluate lab experiments though.. I hope I got more than 6 marks D:
Reply 33
Wasn't too bad! The behaviourist essay when I first read it seemed okay, but then it only wanted you to evaluate the Research methods.
So I talked about
Lab experiments- high control therefore causality can be established. Variables are operationalised therefore can be replicated and is therefore reliable. High degree of control means low ecological validity.
Use of animals- Short gestation period. Im in A2 just re doing this paper to get a higher mark. So I was fortunate enough to learn about the idea of continuity which Darwin proposed in that we evolved from animals therefore we have similar biological make up and hence we should respond to stimuli in a similar way. However you guys should know that the extrapolation of Research on animals cn seen to be crude and is not generalisable axone may argue that we are not cognitively. similar.
Case studies- I'm pretty sure Little Albert was a case study- so obviously a lot of high in depth valid detail. However the use of case studies may not be generalisable also the ethics involved in that case study?? Any other thoughts.

If your in As I urge you to perform very well on psyb2 as when you do psyb4 it is very similar to psyb1 and you will find it so much easier in terms of discussion. however in terms of psyb2 it is one of those topics you never go back over again and is very hard to revise. So definitely put time into psyb2.
And if you guys want any revision sheets on psyb2 I've got complete notes for anxiety and remembering and forgetting but I've lost my social influence one. so just give me an email ill be happy to send them over.
[email protected]
Reply 34
What do you think for psyb2
Such a good paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by bradshawsl
How did you all find it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

got an A
Hey guys I've just started psychology psyb1 and i wondering if when you get a general essay question on the approaches what do you write and how and where do you mention the case studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest