The Student Room Group

C1 Past Paper Q

Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 19.40.47.png

Hi I am a little confused by this question (from June 2013 Paper 1R).

I get that x=-1 and x=2 when y=0 so I got y=(x+1)(x-2)

But when x=0, y=4. I'm not sure how to alter my equation to get this.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth

Thanks

Because the curve TOUCHES the axis at x=2, the root is '.....'?
ie y=(x+1)(x-2)^?
As to aswer part a, you could simply expand out and read off a, b and c - but try to think of the relevance of the y intercept and what it means with reference to the constant on the end of the equation. Hope that helps.
(edited 9 years ago)

Thanks

I think you're getting a little confused with quadratics.
we have two turning points here, one at x=0 and one at x=2. What do you know about turning points?
you also have the values where y=0. If you expand (x+1)(x-2) do you get a cubic? The one at x=2 looks different - can you use that?
I actually just done this question about 5 minutes ago. You have a repeated root so instead expand (x+1)(x-2)(x-2).
Reply 4
Original post by Mr T Pities You
I think you're getting a little confused with quadratics.
we have two turning points here, one at x=0 and one at x=2. What do you know about turning points?
you also have the values where y=0. If you expand (x+1)(x-2) do you get a cubic? The one at x=2 looks different - can you use that?

No I know that (x+1)(x-2) doesn't make a cubic, I'm not that stupid. I need to add to what I have to get a cubic equation which is correct.

At turning points the gradient goes down to 0, that's all I know, I haven't done C2.

So basically I just square (x-2) because the curves turns at x=2?

Original post by Gilo98
Because the curve TOUCHES the axis at x=2, the root is '.....'?
ie y=(x+1)(x-2)^?
tbh, Im not sure of the relevance of them giving you the y-intercept soon as to aswer part a, you would simply expand out and read off a, b and c. Hope that helps.

Oh I see - so is that a general rule then? Where it touches the x-axis it's repeated and squared.
Reply 5
No I know that (x+1)(x-2) doesn't make a cubic, I'm not that stupid. I need to add to what I have to get a cubic equation which is correct.

At turning points the gradient goes down to 0, that's all I know, I haven't done C2.

So basically I just square (x-2) because the curves turns at x=2?

Oh I see - so is that a general rule then? Where it touches the x-axis it's repeated and squared.

Yep - now to finish up, you may want to look at my now edited post :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Gilo98
Yep - now to finish up, you may want to look at my now edited post :smile:

Well when y=4 x=0 and when x=0 the other terms with x in will equal 0 so it'll leave y=4 so c must be 4.

Cheers :smile:
Reply 7
Well when y=4 x=0 and when x=0 the other terms with x in will equal 0 so it'll leave y=4 so c must be 4.

Cheers :smile:

Perfect
No problem :smile:
Where did you get the (x-2)^2 part from? I've never even seen that before in a C1 paper, or the textbook. Neither have any of my class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1398974653.040329.jpg

Can someone possibly proof read my attempt?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Where did you get the (x-2)^2 part from? I've never even seen that before in a C1 paper, or the textbook. Neither have any of my class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(x-2)2 because it touches the x axis and comes back up

Quick Reply

Latest