The Student Room Group

Edexcel economics unit 1 may 13th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A-LevelEconomist
They like to focus on elasticities for the 14 markers. However my bet is trade pollution permits this year - carbon credits and also methods of correcting govt/markert failure.

Please can you explain to me about the trade pollution permits and what we need to know? Because I really don't get it! :frown:
They like to focus on elasticities for the 14 markers. However my bet is trade pollution permits this year - carbon credits and also methods of correcting govt/markert failure.

LOL the one thing im not 100% on xD
Do you know if examiners stray from the mark scheme at all; sometimes when marking my own papers i dont see my eval on the mark scheme but still reckon its relevant enough to get the marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unit 1 is very easy. The concepts of section A is always the same, spend a day and go through EVERY section A part of the paper since 2008 and you'll see it's pretty damn easy. Section B is where everyone looses marks, and a good way to revise for that is obviously to make sure you have a good understanding of the concepts but also to go through all the past papers and look at the evaluation. For me and my friends, evaluation seems to be the tricky point where marks are easily lost - note down evaluation points for everything and revise of that and you'll be fine.
For evaluation, you said the main three things to talk about are:
-Opportunity Cost
-Time Lag
-Inflation
But what would you say about inflation? And in which kind of questions can you talk about inflation?
Reply 24
Hey guys im sitting this exam too. I was wondering if you put in something which isnt relevant to the question for the 12 or 8 marker, would they take marks off for irrelevant information? Or would they carry on marking to see if there is any relevant information which marks can be awarded for?
Original post by Kelani
Does anyone know what topics tend to come up in the 14 mark questions?

i wanna know as well...

How about public good? They never test us on this topic which relative to market failure previously.
Original post by zabi1
Hey guys im sitting this exam too. I was wondering if you put in something which isnt relevant to the question for the 12 or 8 marker, would they take marks off for irrelevant information? Or would they carry on marking to see if there is any relevant information which marks can be awarded for?

It's always positively marked so they will always look for relevant information. Examiners want u to do well as well :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by beastblue
It's always positively marked so they will always look for relevant information. Examiners want u to do well as well :smile:

Phew thats good because i tend to write down whatever i can think of which also includes a bit of irrelevant information.
Reply 29
ped = -2 . i wrote thaat this good has an inelastic demand but mark scheme is saying elastic................ soooooooooooooooooooo confused..?
Original post by Qtj987
ped = -2 . i wrote thaat this good has an inelastic demand but mark scheme is saying elastic................ soooooooooooooooooooo confused..?

All goods have a negative PED because relationship between demand and price is inverse. A price inelastic good has a PED between 0 and -1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Kelani
All goods have a negative PED because relationship between demand and price is inverse. A price inelastic good has a PED between 0 and -1

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg thank you so much.. ok how about elastic demand? would be a value greater than 1 but negative then?
Original post by Qtj987
omg thank you so much.. ok how about elastic demand? would be a value greater than 1 but negative then?

Yep. Also, unit elastic goods have a PED of -1 and perfectly inelastic goods have a PED of 0 as no amount of price change causes a change in demand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by Kelani
Yep. Also, unit elastic goods have a PED of -1 and perfectly inelastic goods have a PED of 0 as no amount of price change causes a change in demand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

positive rep!!! thanks :biggrin:

All the best with exam tommorow! :-)
Original post by Qtj987
positive rep!!! thanks :biggrin:

All the best with exam tommorow! :-)

Haha no problem, you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Does anyone have the January 2014 Examiner report?
Thanks
Reply 36
Anyone know which diagram to use when explaining the output gap?
Reply 37
i need help with consumer and producer surplus, any tips?
Reply 38
Original post by DrDre.97
Anyone know which diagram to use when explaining the output gap?

DAAAAALEEEEE!!! Que son los output gaps? jajjaajaj
Original post by az97
i need help with consumer and producer surplus, any tips?

http://www.slideshare.net/tutor2u/key-diagrams-and-glossary-for-unit-1-micro

Scroll to pages 19 and 20. Hopefully everything else there will also help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending