The Student Room Group

WJEC a2 enligh language

Hi everyone,

Ive got my LG4 exam coming up within the next few weeks and I am not feeling very confident about it atall :eek: Just wondering if anyone had any tips on the LG4 paper, especially on the language change section such as framework to follow?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
I'm doing Lang A2 with the same board and I personally recommend going through past papers and making notes on expectations of certain genres that may come up - ie letters, guides, etc. We've been told to avoid actually discussing the language change points too much (maybe 3 interesting ones), but largely focus on points similar to AS on the writer's feelings and reasons they use language. Also make lots of comparisons between the texts! (Unsure if any of this is what you want help with but it's all very good prep for the exam nonetheless.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Also carrying on from my point about writing down expectations, after that you can make points on how the writers choose to follow genre conventions or avoid them (for different reasons relevant to the context given in the question and the influences of the time)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by elbury1
Also carrying on from my point about writing down expectations, after that you can make points on how the writers choose to follow genre conventions or avoid them (for different reasons relevant to the context given in the question and the influences of the time)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh okay thanks! So sort of like 'this text is typical of a letter written in the 1800's as it uses.... ' Etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Giraffe12
Ahhh okay thanks! So sort of like 'this text is typical of a letter written in the 1800's as it uses.... ' Etc

Yes, but make sure you use lots of points that aren't relevant to language change, as although the exam is 'language change' they want you to include typical AS points as well.
Reply 5
Original post by Giraffe12
Hi everyone,

Ive got my LG4 exam coming up within the next few weeks and I am not feeling very confident about it atall :eek: Just wondering if anyone had any tips on the LG4 paper, especially on the language change section such as framework to follow?

Thanks in advance!

Take a look at the thread from last year might be some useful things on there: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2358160&highlight=lg4

Will dig out my CGP textbooks tomorrow, they have advice on essay structure.
Reply 6
Original post by Nerd2
Take a look at the thread from last year might be some useful things on there: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2358160&highlight=lg4

Will dig out my CGP textbooks tomorrow, they have advice on essay structure.

Thank you so much, that would be really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Also make lots of comparisons between the texts!

I've been taught not to do too much comparison between texts in section B. Analyse each text individually and only provide the one comparative point to keep the flow of your writing as you move on from one text to another :s-smilie:
Also does anyone know how section A should be structured? Like do I write an overview at the start about both texts, or do I write an overview for each text individually?
Reply 8
Original post by Rayneymar
I've been taught not to do too much comparison between texts in section B. Analyse each text individually and only provide the one comparative point to keep the flow of your writing as you move on from one text to another :s-smilie:
Also does anyone know how section A should be structured? Like do I write an overview at the start about both texts, or do I write an overview for each text individually?

I was always told to tackle each text one at a time, so start by writing an introduction for text A and go onto explain all the relevant points and a conclusion for that text. Then do the same for text B, only difference is that when you come to conclude text B, you can compare the two texts.
Reply 9
Ah! Very strange. We did that at AS and were told to avoid too many contrasts/comparisons, but now at A2 our college insists that you avoid the structure of tackling each text at a time to avoid it becoming too simplistic. Although, if that's the method they have taught in other colleges, I am assuming their structures are done in a way examiners like anyway! I guess either would work as long as it remains focused/clear/etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by elbury1
Ah! Very strange. We did that at AS and were told to avoid too many contrasts/comparisons, but now at A2 our college insists that you avoid the structure of tackling each text at a time to avoid it becoming too simplistic. Although, if that's the method they have taught in other colleges, I am assuming their structures are done in a way examiners like anyway! I guess either would work as long as it remains focused/clear/etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think its plausible for the examiners to ask that of us in the allotted exam time. That would require us to read both texts first, then identify the features in each and draw the comparisons before you begin writing.

By the way, could you tell me whether this is a morning or afternoon exam?
Reply 11
Original post by Nerd2
I don't think its plausible for the examiners to ask that of us in the allotted exam time. That would require us to read both texts first, then identify the features in each and draw the comparisons before you begin writing.

By the way, could you tell me whether this is a morning or afternoon exam?

That's what we've been doing! Well, rather, making an interesting point on say emphatic stress or something and then seeing if it's comparable with the others as you go along appears to be more effective. Tomorrow morning! I think whatever method we have been doing appears to work as I've never struggled with the timings and my structure reflects that of past answers we've gone over that were marked highly in previous years. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending