The Student Room Group

Is Biology a science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Wait until you're working so much harder and so many more hours than them and see if you still want no extra kudos.

I'm pretty sure that chemists and biologists will be working just as hard as me.

Original post by redferry
And physics is basically all Maths.

so in conclusion Maths is the only true science.

That's literally the opposite of my argument :lol:

Clearly older than you as I'm coming out of the rear end of a Physics degree and you have yet to start one.

I thought the same as you once. Three years of ballbreaking work and being abused by your Department while you watch others actually enjoy their degree and have time for (gasp) extracurriculars will change your outlook.

You will expect a reward for working so much harder than others. I guarantee it.

It's not our fault that you aren't intelligent enough to manage your time efficiently.
Clearly older than you as I'm coming out of the rear end of a Physics degree and you have yet to start one.

I thought the same as you once. Three years of ballbreaking work and being abused by your Department while you watch others actually enjoy their degree and have time for (gasp) extracurriculars will change your outlook.

You will expect a reward for working so much harder than others. I guarantee it.

I'm in the second year of a Maths degree at Cambridge, and I respect those who study Biology and realise how much work they do.
If it is a systematic method of obtaining a body of knowledge about the world that uses the scientific method of cyclical theoretical hypothesis and empirical observation, then it is a science.

The clue is in the term "biological science", ie the science of biological systems and entities. Social science and physical science are similarly named.
Original post by Mubariz
There's a difference, Physics uses maths as a tool, to show something, to communicate it, Maths is a science, but many consider it an art, something to be admired, something beautiful.

Maths is nothing really, not on it's own, it's application is what makes it useful

Also chemistry also has it's own laws about particle interactions at a larger scale.

Yes - so it is just applied maths. Just as chemistry is more applied physics. And Biology is more specifically applied Chemistry.

Sure, there are crossovers, but if you want to argue Biology isn't a science because it is applied chemistry you may as well nothing is a science because really at the end of the day they all stem from Maths.
Original post by alow

That's literally the opposite of my argument :lol:

I was trolling, clearly every subject is not just Maths :P (well it kindof is but I mean they are and should be accepted as standalone sciences)
Original post by Eloades11
Are you high?

To this I shall reply with a quote from one of my favorite music artists:

"I don't drink or smoke but I bust bare jokes, now everybody thinks I'm wavey

Original post by Copperknickers
That Australian guy is an idiot. Of course biology can tell us what life is, that's the first thing you learn in school.

And of course it is a science! Its a system of gathering knowledge using the scientific method, therefore its a science. And it is not all chemistry: zoology, animal behaviour, biophysics, genetics, none of that is chemistry.

What is life? what I mean by that is what makes something live and what makes it die

Mostly chemistry but not all I accept. Biophysics is Physics, linked into biology. animal behavior, basically psychology etc
Yes - so it is just applied maths. Just as chemistry is more applied physics. And Biology is more specifically applied Chemistry.

Sure, there are crossovers, but if you want to argue Biology isn't a science because it is applied chemistry you may as well nothing is a science because really at the end of the day they all stem from Maths.

But Physics and Chemistry both have their own laws, not related to any other subject, not maths or anything which can be proven. Physicists and Chemists know what they are studying.
Reply 107
I was trolling, clearly every subject is not just Maths :P (well it kindof is but I mean they are and should be accepted as standalone sciences)

I thought you were :tongue:

Yeah just because pretty much everything in science comes from maths doesn't make it any less of a science. :smile:
Original post by Mubariz
But Physics and Chemistry both have their own laws, not related to any other subject, not maths or anything which can be proven. Physicists and Chemists know what they are studying.

A mathematician would no doubt argue otherwise. (well, every mathematician I know does)

Here, read this love: http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pub/is-biology-reducible-to-the-laws-of-physics
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mubariz

Let me get this straight. Biology is not a science because it doesn't have it's own laws? It is not a science because a lot of biology is intertwined with chemistry, which is a science? Biologists don't know what they are studying?

I can't see any valid point you have.
Original post by alow
I thought you were :tongue:

Yeah just because pretty much everything in science comes from maths doesn't make it any less of a science. :smile:

Agreed, Biology is clearly important a separate entity to Chemistry.

Imagine tasking a bunch of Chemists with ecosystem management. Not going to work.
Let me get this straight. Biology is not a science because it doesn't have it's own laws? It is not a science because a lot of biology is intertwined with chemistry, which is a science? Biologists don't know what they are studying?

I can't see any valid point you have.

well, how about this, my arms behave differently to the rest of my body, they have immense control and they can do everything so precisely, it is intertwined with my body but surely they must be separate organisms.
A mathematician would no doubt argue otherwise.

Here, read this love: http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pub/is-biology-reducible-to-the-laws-of-physics

Prove to me the laws of Thermodynamics using only mathematical principles and laws, No physic experimentation just maths.
Original post by Mubariz
well, how about this, my arms behave differently to the rest of my body, they have immense control and they can do everything so precisely, it is intertwined with my body but surely they must be separate organisms.

Heavily flawed logic, completely unrelated to what I just said. Not to mention the fact that you seemed to be discussing human anatomy, which I believe is a sub-topic of biology. A topic that has no chemistry involved whatsoever. You've just shown that your own point is wrong, and that biology can in some instances be completely distinct from chemistry.
Original post by alow
It's not our fault that you aren't intelligent enough to manage your time efficiently.

You're going to fit right in at Cambridge with all of the other self-entitled arrogant *****.

See, I can do personal attacks too.
Heavily flawed logic, completely unrelated to what I just said. Not to mention the fact that you seemed to be discussing human anatomy, which I believe is a sub-topic of biology. A topic that has no chemistry involved whatsoever. You've just shown that your own point is wrong, and that biology can in some instances be completely distinct from chemistry.

in which way can the human anatomy not be related to interactions between molecules in Chemistry and Physics, don't make me laugh.

I am going to stop on this thread though, I have a load of revision I want to do. And it seems that since this question is quite subjective on the way you interpret a science we are not going to come to a conclusion anyway.

:smile:
Original post by Mubariz
I never said they were superior, just that I reject it's a true science, and this is an actual debate, not something I've pulled out of a hat.

why do they not know what makes something live? Well they study another field :confused:

Can be proven via Chemistry tbh

Mendel’s second law is only valid for genes located in different chromosomes. For genes situated in the same chromosome, i.e., linked genes (genes in linkage) the law is not valid since the segregation of these genes is

Basically everything in biology can be explained (and most, if not all is explained) through chemistry

Different branches of science are supposed to be interlinked. And it's actually beneficial for them to be so.

You clearly don't study biology, so your posts have been quite ignorant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
You're going to fit right in at Cambridge with all of the other self-entitled arrogant *****.

See, I can do personal attacks too.

Well done, I'm sure mummy and daddy are so proud.
Original post by Mubariz
Prove to me the laws of Thermodynamics using only mathematical principles and laws, No physic experimentation just maths.

Physics is literally applied maths.

would you argue engineering is not a subject in it's own right out of interest?
Reply 119
science
ˈsʌɪəns/
noun

the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

biology
bʌɪˈɒlədʒi/
noun

the study of living organisms, divided into many specialized fields that cover their morphology, physiology, anatomy, behaviour, origin, and distribution.

Quick Reply

Latest