The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

All about Castle Leazes!

Ok so it's my first choice... I'm already regretting not having picked Ricky Road. Cheer me up guys, what's the good points about Leazes, is it social, is same sex catered rooms social aswell?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Erm... I've applied to go there as first choice too!

My sister is already there (But in different accommodation) - she said all of her friends who stayed in Castle Leazes loved it! XD
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by FergieD
Erm... I've applied to go there as first choice too!

My sister is already there (But in different accommodation) - she said all of her friends who stayed in Castle Leazes loved it! XD

Cheers for the info, as long as it's full on partying then I'm happy!
Reply 3
I'm the same as you, as soon as I clicked send on accommodation I regretted not putting Ricky Road as my top choice :frown: hopefully Leazes will be fun though I've heard good things which has reassured me a bit! However I have seen a thread about the high percentage of "posh" or private school people who are in Leazes - not that I have anything against them but I would like some people like me who will be living on pennies probably!
Reply 4
Original post by EllEll
I'm the same as you, as soon as I clicked send on accommodation I regretted not putting Ricky Road as my top choice :frown: hopefully Leazes will be fun though I've heard good things which has reassured me a bit! However I have seen a thread about the high percentage of "posh" or private school people who are in Leazes - not that I have anything against them but I would like some people like me who will be living on pennies probably!

Fear not, I put castle leazes too and I'm a penniless northern commoner! XD
You do have to walk through a field of cows to get there.
Reply 6
Original post by EllEll

Yeah but i can guarantee that im not a ''rah'' haha, so we will hopefully find a few others at Leazes living on the pennies and party alllll night :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Jam Jam24
Yeah but i can guarantee that im not a ''rah'' haha, so we will hopefully find a few others at Leazes living on the pennies and party alllll night :biggrin:

Yeah sounds about right! 😁
I'm from a working class background who went to a public school, I don't think it'll matter where you're from when we get there though, unless people are too pretentious, in which case I reckon they would miss out and be excluded from social circles rather than us :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by MattSlater12345
I'm from a working class background who went to a public school, I don't think it'll matter where you're from when we get there though, unless people are too pretentious, in which case I reckon they would miss out and be excluded from social circles rather than us :smile:

No yeah I agree! Just heard it had a bit of a "posh" rep but it doesn't really bother me where people are from just as long as they are cool to get along with :smile:
Original post by EllEll
No yeah I agree! Just heard it had a bit of a "posh" rep but it doesn't really bother me where people are from just as long as they are cool to get along with :smile:

Yeah, I heard its full of the sandal wearing Abercrombie type too haha, guess it wont matter though as long as everyone's there to get drunk ! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by MattSlater12345
Yeah, I heard its full of the sandal wearing Abercrombie type too haha, guess it wont matter though as long as everyone's there to get drunk ! :biggrin:

Sandal wearing? :smile: yeah that is essentially what halls are for haha!
Reply 12
Original post by EllEll
Sandal wearing? :smile: yeah that is essentially what halls are for haha!

Who doesn't wear sandals everyday... Haha :smile:
I'm in second year now and stayed at Castle Leazes in first year. The corridors are single sex but that doesn't tend to be much of a problem because there's plenty of girls around too if you want to be near girls. Castle Leazes gets a bit of a rep for being a "rah haven" and, from my experience, this is kind of justified: in my corridor the majority of people had went to private schools and in the accommodation as a whole there was a lot of public school cliqueness, like all the Harrow boys stuck together and all the Winchester boys... And in some cases I was looked down on for not having went to a public school but that wasn't too common. One time a guy from Fettes (public school in Edinburgh) asked which school I went to and when he heard "grammar school" then he was like: "Oh, so not a fee paying school then? Ah... okay", haha. But then we became best mates the next term! I loved my time at Castle Leazes and wouldn't have stayed anywhere else, it was awesome! I would totally recommend it to anyone but if I could do it again I probably would go for Castle Court just because the rooms are a little nicer. If you have any questions then feel free to ask me.
Reply 14
Original post by gabrielandrews
I'm in second year now and stayed at Castle Leazes in first year. The corridors are single sex but that doesn't tend to be much of a problem because there's plenty of girls around too if you want to be near girls. Castle Leazes gets a bit of a rep for being a "rah haven" and, from my experience, this is kind of justified: in my corridor the majority of people had went to private schools and in the accommodation as a whole there was a lot of public school cliqueness, like all the Harrow boys stuck together and all the Winchester boys... And in some cases I was looked down on for not having went to a public school but that wasn't too common. One time a guy from Fettes (public school in Edinburgh) asked which school I went to and when he heard "grammar school" then he was like: "Oh, so not a fee paying school then? Ah... okay", haha. But then we became best mates the next term! I loved my time at Castle Leazes and wouldn't have stayed anywhere else, it was awesome! I would totally recommend it to anyone but if I could do it again I probably would go for Castle Court just because the rooms are a little nicer. If you have any questions then feel free to ask me.

Ah that's a shame that there was so much cliqueness, what I was hoping to avoid! But if you still enjoyed it then I guess it sounds good. :smile:
Original post by Quantex
You do have to walk through a field of cows to get there.

Only in summer haha.
Reply 16
I've applied there for my first choice too :smile: sound be a laugh
Reply 17
Original post by McBabe
I've applied there for my first choice too :smile: sound be a laugh

very nice, you going for catered?
Reply 18
Nahh, I want full control over what and when I eat, so self catered :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Jam Jam24
very nice, you going for catered?