The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Which Newcastle uni accom is best?

Could anybody tell me their experience of the different Newcastle uni halls? I’m trying to find somewhere fun but I don’t know where to start
Original post by Mads!!
Could anybody tell me their experience of the different Newcastle uni halls? I’m trying to find somewhere fun but I don’t know where to start

Just avoid Castle Leazes :wink:
Honestly depends what you're looking for and where you want to be but if you want an ensuite my recommendation would be Park View, if you want the cheaper washbasin option I'd recommend Marris House - of course there's plenty options available but those two are nice and modern but also very popular so getting your choices are far from guaranteed. (I stayed in Park View for my first year)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Hi Mads!

There are plenty of options available and the great thing about accommodation at Newcastle is they are all walking distance to the city centre which is really handy.

Student Halls is what you make of them and who you live with so there is no guarantee that every flat in a certain accommodation will be 'fun'! Something good to look out for is if the accommodation has a social space (so Park View for example has a social room in the Irthing Block).

I personally stayed at The View which I really enjoyed but I had friends that stayed in most accommodations and we all had an amazing first year.

Hope this helps!

Liv
Outreach Ambassador at Newcastle University
Reply 3
Original post by UniqueUnicorn
Just avoid Castle Leazes :wink:
Honestly depends what you're looking for and where you want to be but if you want an ensuite my recommendation would be Park View, if you want the cheaper washbasin option I'd recommend Marris House - of course there's plenty options available but those two are nice and modern but also very popular so getting your choices are far from guaranteed. (I stayed in Park View for my first year)

Thank you so much!! why do you say to avoid Leazes?
Reply 4
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi Mads!

There are plenty of options available and the great thing about accommodation at Newcastle is they are all walking distance to the city centre which is really handy.

Student Halls is what you make of them and who you live with so there is no guarantee that every flat in a certain accommodation will be 'fun'! Something good to look out for is if the accommodation has a social space (so Park View for example has a social room in the Irthing Block).

I personally stayed at The View which I really enjoyed but I had friends that stayed in most accommodations and we all had an amazing first year.

Hope this helps!

Liv
Outreach Ambassador at Newcastle University

thank you so much
Original post by Mads!!
Thank you so much!! why do you say to avoid Leazes?

It's just a bit grim when the others are all pretty nice. Ultimately I know people who've enjoyed it there - as after all it is so true when people say what matters is the people you end up living with!

Have you managed to come to a decision?
Reply 6
I Marris House as my first choice and park view as my second but I was working so much I missed the deadline so I'm pretty sure I won't get in anywhere :frown: cos I missed the new students guarantee. I rlly don't wanna do private accom so I reckon I'm just gonna keep pestering the uni about rooms opening up and find somewhere on Facebook to ask if anyone is turning down their contract to live in one of those places or if someone moves in and wants to leave. ahhhhh I messed up. If you have any advice on what to do from here I'd really appreciate it :smile:
It's just a bit grim when the others are all pretty nice. Ultimately I know people who've enjoyed it there - as after all it is so true when people say what matters is the people you end up living with!

Have you managed to come to a decision?
Original post by Mads!!
I Marris House as my first choice and park view as my second but I was working so much I missed the deadline so I'm pretty sure I won't get in anywhere :frown: cos I missed the new students guarantee. I rlly don't wanna do private accom so I reckon I'm just gonna keep pestering the uni about rooms opening up and find somewhere on Facebook to ask if anyone is turning down their contract to live in one of those places or if someone moves in and wants to leave. ahhhhh I messed up. If you have any advice on what to do from here I'd really appreciate it :smile:

Ah I see, sorry to hear that. Make sure you've applied for the uni accom anyway (if you haven't already) if you're still wanting it - all the guaranteed students get prioritised first but if there's anything left at the end they'll start working through the non-guaranteed applicants. That's a big if but if you don't want private accom that's the only way you'll get it from the uni.

My understanding is if someone rejects a uni accom room it goes back onto their system for re-allocation. Usually with uni-owned rooms, the Facebook group only works if you already have a uni room and want to swap it for another.

Also do have a look at what private halls in Newcastle are still available in case that becomes your only option - companies I can think of off the top of my head: unite, abodus student living, downing students.

The uni has an accomodation helpline which you can ring up to ask questions about the situation you're in, although they'll probably be unable to tell you whether they think there will be enough rooms left for non-guaranteed students. Don't be afraid to ring up these private companies as well so they can give you up to date info on what they have left - sometimes the websites aren't always accurate.

All the best and keep us posted
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Mads!!

Hey,

idk if you’ve sorted it but i was in park terrace when i was in first year and honestly i loved it. I hadn’t applied for it and didn’t even know it existed and got allocated it but it’s genuinely really nice. It is more expensive than leazes and marris but it’s honestly worth it! It is smaller than leazes but i’m pretty sure it is bigger than marris. As well there was always something going on so you never struggled to meet new people!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
That's so helpful thank you will do
Ah I see, sorry to hear that. Make sure you've applied for the uni accom anyway (if you haven't already) if you're still wanting it - all the guaranteed students get prioritised first but if there's anything left at the end they'll start working through the non-guaranteed applicants. That's a big if but if you don't want private accom that's the only way you'll get it from the uni.

My understanding is if someone rejects a uni accom room it goes back onto their system for re-allocation. Usually with uni-owned rooms, the Facebook group only works if you already have a uni room and want to swap it for another.

Also do have a look at what private halls in Newcastle are still available in case that becomes your only option - companies I can think of off the top of my head: unite, abodus student living, downing students.

The uni has an accomodation helpline which you can ring up to ask questions about the situation you're in, although they'll probably be unable to tell you whether they think there will be enough rooms left for non-guaranteed students. Don't be afraid to ring up these private companies as well so they can give you up to date info on what they have left - sometimes the websites aren't always accurate.

All the best and keep us posted
Reply 10
That makes me feel better thank you :smile:
I'll have a look
Original post by iceicebaby0917
Hey,

idk if you’ve sorted it but i was in park terrace when i was in first year and honestly i loved it. I hadn’t applied for it and didn’t even know it existed and got allocated it but it’s genuinely really nice. It is more expensive than leazes and marris but it’s honestly worth it! It is smaller than leazes but i’m pretty sure it is bigger than marris. As well there was always something going on so you never struggled to meet new people!

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending