The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dragon_1706
From my research on assessment centres so far, it seems that a group exercise is very common and can be to do with absolutely anything. The idea is just to see how people interact, whether they're able to put ideas across, listen to others, compromise, etc. I know some firms also do some sort of in-tray exercise, where they give you a pile of stuff to go through. You then have to put things in order of priority and decide what to do with each one, e.g. a letter in reply.

Absolutely, this is what the firms are looking for during group exercises :smile:

Mine involved being put into a group (obviously :rolleyes: ) and we were given 20 mins to read a scenario on a failing business, and come up with strategies for damage limitation, and to turn the business around.
We then had to present the strategies we'd devised as a group. We had 5 additional minutes to present.
We were observed the entire time, throughout reading, negotiating ideas, etc etc.
ellewoods
Absolutely, this is what the firms are looking for during group exercises :smile:

Mine involved being put into a group (obviously :rolleyes: ) and we were given 20 mins to read a scenario on a failing business, and come up with strategies for damage limitation, and to turn the business around.
We then had to present the strategies we'd devised as a group. We had 5 additional minutes to present.
We were observed the entire time, throughout reading, negotiating ideas, etc etc.

Did you really have to use the legal knowledge that you had at the time or was it case of just using your common sense?
Would some relevant legal knowledge have come in useful?
superdillon
Did you really have to use the legal knowledge that you had at the time or was it case of just using your common sense?
Would some relevant legal knowledge have come in useful?

No, 100% common sense. (although stuff I've picked up at business A-Level probably helped, but not essential)
A lot of the applicants were non-law students who intended to undertake the conversion course, and the content of the assessment day throughout reflected this to ensure law students were not at an advantage. Seriously, if you'd just walked in and observed, there was no way of knowing the assessments were for a law firm.

There was:
- A maths question, again, based around financial data from a business scenario.
- The group activity I've just talked about...
- Essay questions based on the same business scenario the maths questions were based around - they were mainly marketing questions I think, based around the marketing of a trendy hairdressers and their products.
- An individual interview with one person from HR from the actual firm. Well it was more like a presentation actually, the firm sent me points to address in advance, I had 5 mins to present my "argument" on why I thought I would be an asset to the firm, what I thought constituted a good solicitor, etc., and then the interviewer asked me questions on my presentation.
- A logical thinking type test, where we all sat in exam conditions and had to pick multiple choice answers to these completely random questions :confused: It was the weirdest thing I'd ever done, and the first thing to do during the day, and it really got me off on the wrong foot!!!!! :rolleyes:

I think that was about it... oh and they held us in this big social area with sofas, drinks, snacks, etc., for lengthy periods throughout the day, and staff from the assessment centre and people from the firm mingled and chatted with us regularly... I've since discovered (from a partner in the firm when I eventually went to do the vac scheme there) that this is a *huge* part of the process as well - they like to observe your social skills, how to interact with people, what part of the "hierarchy" you form when you meet new people, etc.

I think I've still got my information about the presentation, what points I had to address and how I addressed them, so if anyone thinks that might be useful to them once they get their assessment day criteria through, PM me :smile:
They expect no legal knowledge at all, hence why non-law applicants stand a chance at these things!
Lewis-HuStuJCR
They expect no legal knowledge at all, hence why non-law applicants stand a chance at these things!

Well there could have been a separate procedure in place.
Nah, its all one procedure, although some firms (such as Slaughter and May) have separate vac schemes for law and non-law applicants, and only one for non-law. They also dont interview, so perhaps they do select differently for each throughout the 2 weeks.
superdillon

They could well ask different questions in the interview. My friend got quite scared while waiting for an interview as a non-law student, because she heard some others discussing their questions, which included some legal ones. She started panicking about being able to answer them, only to discover that they had two sets of questions in place. And another non-law student friend was asked to do a presentation on a legal topic and answer written legal questions, despite not having studied any law. They obviously just took it into account when assessing her, as she was offered a TC!
Reply 47
superdillon

That wouldn't be a fair process though would it?
Ethereal
That wouldn't be a fair process though would it?

Why not?
As I understand it now, from the response I got to this question, for some firms there is a different procedure in place. Interviews for example are different for Law and non-law students.
ellewoods
No, 100% common sense. (although stuff I've picked up at business A-Level probably helped, but not essential)
A lot of the applicants were non-law students who intended to undertake the conversion course, and the content of the assessment day throughout reflected this to ensure law students were not at an advantage. Seriously, if you'd just walked in and observed, there was no way of knowing the assessments were for a law firm.

There was:
- A maths question, again, based around financial data from a business scenario.
- The group activity I've just talked about...
- Essay questions based on the same business scenario the maths questions were based around - they were mainly marketing questions I think, based around the marketing of a trendy hairdressers and their products.
- An individual interview with one person from HR from the actual firm. Well it was more like a presentation actually, the firm sent me points to address in advance, I had 5 mins to present my "argument" on why I thought I would be an asset to the firm, what I thought constituted a good solicitor, etc., and then the interviewer asked me questions on my presentation.
- A logical thinking type test, where we all sat in exam conditions and had to pick multiple choice answers to these completely random questions :confused: It was the weirdest thing I'd ever done, and the first thing to do during the day, and it really got me off on the wrong foot!!!!! :rolleyes:

I think that was about it... oh and they held us in this big social area with sofas, drinks, snacks, etc., for lengthy periods throughout the day, and staff from the assessment centre and people from the firm mingled and chatted with us regularly... I've since discovered (from a partner in the firm when I eventually went to do the vac scheme there) that this is a *huge* part of the process as well - they like to observe your social skills, how to interact with people, what part of the "hierarchy" you form when you meet new people, etc.

I think I've still got my information about the presentation, what points I had to address and how I addressed them, so if anyone thinks that might be useful to them once they get their assessment day criteria through, PM me :smile:

Thanks so much for all that information! I'm actually quite nervous about the social bits, as I have this awful image in my mind of someone chatting to me then moving away to make notes! Anyway, I've just had the information through by email, so I'll PM you once I've had a chance to read it all through properly.
Yeah they told me on vac scheme that our "group" for 2 weeks had bonded far better than the previous group and that this would work for us (this was from the trainees though not HR or whatever). And I can see where you come from on the where you fit into the hierarchy point as one guy was always trying to be a leader and got told he was a bit of an arrogant, loud bastard in the individual feedbacks! To be fair though he didn't listen to the opinion of others and thought he as alays right.

Latest

Trending

Trending