The Student Room Group

mention name of university?

hey guys so im currently applying for a masters at UCL and in the process of writing my personal statement. On their personal statement criteria one of them states:
When we assess your application we would therefore like to learn via your personal statement:

why you want to study Cognitive Neuroscience at UCL.

i am wondering if it is appropriate to make the personal statement specific to the university, therefore should i mention UCL within the application?
Original post by applicantmsc
hey guys so im currently applying for a masters at UCL and in the process of writing my personal statement. On their personal statement criteria one of them states:
When we assess your application we would therefore like to learn via your personal statement:

i am wondering if it is appropriate to make the personal statement specific to the university, therefore should i mention UCL within the application?

Are you applying to other unis? If you do, I believe it's better not to mention UCL on your UCAS personal statement. I did something similar like that which cost me rejection from a uni.
Nah, you don't need to. They know you'll be applying elsewhere too.

Edit: Just noticed this is for postgraduate, in which case I may be wrong - I don't know.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hmm...
Original post by Meheraj
Are you applying to other unis? If you do, I believe it's better not to mention UCL on your UCAS personal statement. I did something similar like that which cost me rejection from a uni.

it's a masters degree so no ucas. im only applying to ucl.

Then, mentioning it won't be an issue.
Then you should absolutely include a paragraph on exactly why you want to study this course at UCL, rather than any other institution. I found the prompts on UCL's prospectus pages super helpful and used them to structure my other statements as well.
Are you applying directly to the university? If so, yes, absolutely be specific.

For a direct Masters application it's critical that you tailor your PS for that specific uni. You may well get rejected for having a generic statement if you don't.

I read PS's for a living and can assure you nothing is is worse than a PS that could have gone to any uni. Tell the uni why you are interested in their specific course.
thanks guys i really appreciate it

Good afternoon, @applicantmsc

Yes! :smile: Absolutely you should include the name of the university you are applying for within your personal statement. I got accepted into Chester University to do my Masters degree because I tailored my personal statement to the university itself. It might good to include the following:
- What attracted you to the university?
- why you want to study there
- why you would benefit the university by studying there
- How the subject your studying will benefit your future career or goals
- any specific areas of the university you like (are there special facilities you want to use such as equipment rooms etc?)
- have you heard any good recommendations about the university?

Doing a personal statement is not only personal for you - its a personal message to the university itself, so its important for the person reading your personal statement to feel your passion and enthusiasm for the university shining through. Try to tailor your statement to EACH university you apply for. A generic one will be obvious.
:smile:
Hope this helps!
All the best
- Laura
Reply 11

Not necessarily as you applying in other places too and this is known to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending