The Student Room Group

Anonymous Rep

Why is rep anonymous? It seems to be by allowing people to keep their names hidden when criticising, you are encouraging cowardly behaviour. If someone has a genuine problem with the post on moral grounds, then by all means they can complain and get a mod to check it out (such a function does already exist and is anonymous).

Other than that it seems to me that keeping your identity hidden and criticising from afar, often without a reason, is childish and rude if nothing else.

Anyone agree/disagree? And before I even post this message, I'm pretty sure I'll be receiving negative rep just for the above.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tednol
Why is rep anonymous? It seems to be by allowing people to keep their names hidden when criticising, you are encouraging cowardly behaviour. If someone has a genuine problem with the post on moral grounds, then by all means they can complain and get a mod to check it out (such a function does already exist and is anonymous).

Other than that it seems to me that keeping your identity hidden and criticising from afar, often without a reason, is childish and rude if nothing else.

Anyone agree/disagree? And before I even post this message, I'm pretty sure I'll be receiving negative rep just for the above.

I agree! I've given rep to people and forgotten to put my name on - its positive rep (so I suppose it doesn't really matter), but I agree that you should be responsible for whatever you rep. Can't see any reason why there shouldn't be a "tag" that goes with it to say who its from.
Reply 2
Rep is anon becuase people other wise will not rep because they are scared of getting it back. If the comments are malicious, the mods can see the names.
Reply 3
Tednol

Its mildly irritating I agree.
Reply 4
Ollie
Rep is anon becuase people other wise will not rep because they are scared of getting it back. If the comments are malicious, the mods can see the names.

If they have a valid reason to criticise, why hide the fact? Why not post a message on the thread? Or get a mod to look at it?
Reply 5
Ollie

OK can understand that - there are some irresponsible people who just like playing games with it! However, would be nice if we could see the positive ones ?
Reply 6
Rep should be all means be anonymous. If it is not, it'll promote hatred between members - the member giving the neg rep will be looked down upon and probably given neg rep back. Also, there will be a lot of controversy over the validity of the rep.
I agree with you completely
Reply 8
Adhsur
Rep should be all means be anonymous. If it is not, it'll promote hatred between members - the member giving the neg rep will be looked down upon and probably given neg rep back. Also, there will be a lot of controversy over the validity of the rep.

As I have been given negative rep in the past for simply saying something which someone disagreed with, I have to disagree. Anonymous rep is no better than shouting an insult at someone, and then hiding when that person turns around.
Personally I'd prefer it if the points were removed and it just became an anonymous (or otherwise if you chose to state your name) feedback system. Rather than clogging up threads with flame wars or creating resentment.
Tednol
As I have been given negative rep in the past for simply saying something which someone disagreed with, I have to disagree. Anonymous rep is no better than shouting an insult at someone, and then hiding when that person turns around.

But we all know that the people who use it simply to send insults are not worth paying attention too...and the point scoring side of it is just funny when people take it so seriously.
Reply 11
I have tonnes of negative rep for saying things which are factually true, like petrol is taxed in order to control pollutants. Crazy.
Reply 12
well tednol, i'm sure you have grown a green gem since you started this thread

ain't all negative rep then :smile:
Reply 13
deianra
I've had a personal example. This post: http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?p=554960#post554960 got neg. repped today and I know who gave me it, though it wasn't signed as only one member is able to give that amount of rep.

I felt angry at this, as I cannot see what offence the post could have caused. As well as this, it took away my third gem and my immediate action would be to neg. rep it back. That would be the vast majority of people's decisions too, I think. Sigh. What would you do?

A rep system where people neg rep things they merely disagree with is no rep system at all. If neg rep was not anonymous people would be forced to think twice before leaving neg rep.
Reply 14
Pencil Queen
Personally I'd prefer it if the points were removed and it just became an anonymous (or otherwise if you chose to state your name) feedback system.
I very much agree and have been wondering whether such a system would be possible to implement.
Reply 15
I've been given neg rep twice for "spelling things wrong". What bugs me is that I didn't even spell it wrong - the person who did it just didn't read/understand properly! Bunty is not bounty, Bunty is a magazine! And "behavior" because I quoted (using quotation marks) from an American website.

People need to grow up. And learn to read properly :wink:

edit: I was also neg repped for saying I believed in God. What a reason, eh?
Reply 16
deianra
That's just bizarre. Why would you get negative rep for that? :confused: It is true...

I was arguing for something quite controversial which somebody clearly didn't like.

I also got like neg rep loads of times when I posted a thread mentioning I had been banned the library. Which I thought was quite funny, "Neg rep for getting banned from the library!"
Reply 17
deianra
But if you had a huge amount of repping power, it probably wouldn't make that much difference to you to rep someone who is only able to rep a few points. That way, even if they do rep back, it doesn't do as much damage whereas your neg. rep would take away a gem or summat.

my best is the recent neg rep for an old post saying 'gandular fever is what you get for being a whore'.. it actually made me laugh and i know who it was.

sometimes i want to know who my pos rep is from too.

lou xxx
i agree that rep shouldn't be given anonymously, it seems a cowardly thing not to leave you're name. maybe the best thing is if people can have the choice to turn their rep on or off depending whether they want it to be publically seen or not. then rep wouldn't matter as people who are disgruntled and have negative scores would just be able to choose to not have it seen.
Reply 19
i don't think rep should be annonymous either.... not just because i never knew about signing my rep until last week, so i gave out loads of annonymous stuff :biggrin:

people should have valid reasons for repping (neg in particular), and all the current system does is allow people to hide behind a wall of annonymity while they spite someone who they dislike.

Latest

Trending

Trending