The Student Room Group

Department of Health Higher Executive Officer (HEO) roles

Hi everyone, was just wondering if anyone else here has applied to the Department of Health for the HEO roles they were recently advertising (apparently 40 places altogether in London and Leeds)? Despite having no work experience and a 2:2 degree (currently doing a masters) I thought I'd have a go...anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Hi purple-girl! I've also applied, although have yet to hear anything past the initial competency application form and behavioural/psychometric test. Always good to chat with other applicants - I'm sure there are others around too.

Do you know when the roles were listed? I discovered the ad with only a week to go so it was quite hectic trying to complete the application in time.
Original post by LucySera90
Hi purple-girl! I've also applied, although have yet to hear anything past the initial competency application form and behavioural/psychometric test. Always good to chat with other applicants - I'm sure there are others around too.

Do you know when the roles were listed? I discovered the ad with only a week to go so it was quite hectic trying to complete the application in time.

Yeah, I've not heard anything since the test either, I'm tempted to email tomorrow asking for an approximate time when we're likely to hear and when interviews are likely to be. I'm hoping they're flexible on start dates too as I'm not available until September...

I apparently registered 11 days before the application was due and I think I registered fairly soon after it cropped up on Milkround. The application form took ages though, I'm hoping it put off a lot of potential candidates! I wonder how many people applied...
Original post by purple-girl
Yeah, I've not heard anything since the test either, I'm tempted to email tomorrow asking for an approximate time when we're likely to hear and when interviews are likely to be. I'm hoping they're flexible on start dates too as I'm not available until September...

I apparently registered 11 days before the application was due and I think I registered fairly soon after it cropped up on Milkround. The application form took ages though, I'm hoping it put off a lot of potential candidates! I wonder how many people applied...

Usually application sifts don't take longer than a week, but I have heard the civil service process can be a bit longer. It's always worth asking about dates though; I was quite surprised there wasn't any indication in the job advert. The application form was very long, it was my first time filling in such a comprehensive competency profile. I've know they use similar frameworks in Department's ALBs though - NHS England, PHE etc. I found it quite interesting though to actually think and find an example for each sub-competency!

If you're currently studying towards your postgrad degree then I expect there will be some flexibility around start dates. Ideally I'd be looking to start in September too, as I would like to wrap up some current research and policy projects (thus not leaving my current employer in the lurch).

Hopefully we'll hear soon!
(edited 9 years ago)
Usually application sifts don't take longer than a week, but I have heard the civil service process can be a bit longer. It's always worth asking about dates though; I was quite surprised there wasn't any indication in the job advert. The application form was very long, it was my first time filling in such a comprehensive competency profile. I've know they use similar frameworks in Department's ALBs though - NHS England, PHE etc. I found it quite interesting though to actually think and find an example for each sub-competency!

If you're currently studying towards your postgrad degree then I expect there will be some flexibility around start dates. Ideally I'd be looking to start in September too, as I would like to wrap up some current research and policy projects (thus not leaving my current employer in the lurch).

Hopefully we'll hear soon!

Yeah, I imagine there's been quite a few candidates so the sift will take a while but I'm still going to ask and I'll let you know what they say about start dates. I'm also surprised they gave no indication of either in the application form. I reckon they'll be fairly flexible as they didn't give a definite start date.

I've had to do a similar form before (though not based on the framework as such), again for a civil service job and ended up on the reserve list so I'm hoping to do even better this time. However I think some of my examples are fairly weak as I only have uni/my masters and one work placement to go off.
Thanks - it will be good to have some idea of dates.

Regarding the competency examples, one of the benefits of the civil service competency framework is that it allows for a wide range of experiences and backgrounds. As long as you follow the STAR approach and make sure to clearly explain the link between your examples and the required competency then you should be absolutely fine. I've got a few years of professional experience under my belt, but even I used one or two university examples :wink:
Reply 6
You will here w/c 9th if your succesful, tests to take place 16-27th june
Thanks - it will be good to have some idea of dates.

Regarding the competency examples, one of the benefits of the civil service competency framework is that it allows for a wide range of experiences and backgrounds. As long as you follow the STAR approach and make sure to clearly explain the link between your examples and the required competency then you should be absolutely fine. I've got a few years of professional experience under my belt, but even I used one or two university examples :wink:

Yeah, I'm not sure I really followed the STAR approach too well and didn't use anywhere near the whole character limit but hopefully I showed the competencies anyway.

Original post by Ajja1992
You will here w/c 9th if your succesful, tests to take place 16-27th june

Thanks! Good to know we'll hear fairly soon then. Any idea where the assessments will be? Still waiting to get a reply to my email regarding this and start dates though...
Im glad others are in the same boat! Good to know we will hear next week.
Original post by Sandra1993
Im glad others are in the same boat! Good to know we will hear next week.

Yeah, I just hope it's earlier rather than later in the week! I don't fancy constantly refreshing emails all week especially if it's bad news...
Good to know we can expect to hear next week at some point. I'm also applying for the DH SEO secondment, so I'm hoping I'll make it to the assessment stage for at least one of the two!
Good to know we can expect to hear next week at some point. I'm also applying for the DH SEO secondment, so I'm hoping I'll make it to the assessment stage for at least one of the two!

I've also applied for the HEO, good to know we'll hear soon. Hopefully my competencies were strong enough.

SEO secondment, that sounds good! Are you currently with the CS or DH?
Original post by Kalosflores
I've also applied for the HEO, good to know we'll hear soon. Hopefully my competencies were strong enough.

SEO secondment, that sounds good! Are you currently with the CS or DH?

No, I currently work as a policy adviser at a prominent health think-tank but spend a lot of time working collaboratively with the Department of Health and its various arms length bodies. Ideally I would prefer to go in at SEO level, but the work of the DH is so interesting and I would be happy with whatever role is available.

They offer an SEO secondment programme of up to 2 years to people working outside the civil service. It's a good chance to get your feet under the table at a higher level, but from what I hear involves a lot of travel back and forth between Leeds and London (as it's in the NHS Policy Unit).
No, I currently work as a policy adviser at a prominent health think-tank but spend a lot of time working collaboratively with the Department of Health and its various arms length bodies. Ideally I would prefer to go in at SEO level, but the work of the DH is so interesting and I would be happy with whatever role is available.

They offer an SEO secondment programme of up to 2 years to people working outside the civil service. It's a good chance to get your feet under the table at a higher level, but from what I hear involves a lot of travel back and forth between Leeds and London (as it's in the NHS Policy Unit).

Thanks for that info!
you be able to tell me where I could find that vacancy. I'm usually on the ball with CS vacancies but I haven't seen that one.
The job reference is 1411136 - I'm sure the vacancy is on the civil service resourcing website.
The email came early!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fantastic - I take it that it was good news?

I haven't heard anything yet, good or bad.
Heard nothing yet either, hopefully we'll hear tomorrow then!!
Fingers crossed!
Just heard - rejected due to the online test...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending