The Student Room Group

Finding it hard to progress in the Civil Service?

I joined the Civil Service as a 1st class Law grad, as I liked the work/life balance that it gave/the idea of working in the public sector.

After being unable to get on a grad programme or secure a EO/HEO role, I went for an AO role thinking that I can easily progress to at least EO after my probation.

However, I’ve been here for 10 months now with no sight of progression..my job has given me a lot of customer service experience and even leadership experience(covering for TL) but I’ve been unsuccessful. I thought progression would be easier as an internal candidate but it doesn’t seem that way.

Does anyone have any tips/advice?
Original post by d-m1
I joined the Civil Service as a 1st class Law grad, as I liked the work/life balance that it gave/the idea of working in the public sector.

After being unable to get on a grad programme or secure a EO/HEO role, I went for an AO role thinking that I can easily progress to at least EO after my probation.

However, I’ve been here for 10 months now with no sight of progression..my job has given me a lot of customer service experience and even leadership experience(covering for TL) but I’ve been unsuccessful. I thought progression would be easier as an internal candidate but it doesn’t seem that way.

I don't work in the public sector, but from what I've heard it's a sector that relies on a lot office politics (less about meritocracy). If you want to progress, consider rubbing shoulders with the "right" people.

Having said that, it's not common for people to be promoted to progress in their role within 10 months. Usually, people send 1-2 years (sometimes 5-10, depending on the role and department) in their role before being considered for promotion. It's a slow game, not a quick one.
At a stage in history where organisations are progressively becoming flatter structures, it's very difficult to get promoted to "top dog" since:

There's a lot more competition from equally qualified candidates

There's not a lot of head room to get promoted to until you hit a ceiling.

Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I don't work in the public sector, but from what I've heard it's a sector that relies on a lot office politics (less about meritocracy). If you want to progress, consider rubbing shoulders with the "right" people.

Having said that, it's not common for people to be promoted to progress in their role within 10 months. Usually, people send 1-2 years (sometimes 5-10, depending on the role and department) in their role before being considered for promotion. It's a slow game, not a quick one.
At a stage in history where organisations are progressively becoming flatter structures, it's very difficult to get promoted to "top dog" since:

There's a lot more competition from equally qualified candidates

There's not a lot of head room to get promoted to until you hit a ceiling.

Absolute rubbish, other than the bit about promotion within a year being the exception rather than the normal.

If you've not worked in the public sector, let alone the civil service, let alone sat on an interview panel then rest assured your first paragraph is a joke. It's unlikely you'd know the independent panel member for starters. Having a good relationship with the other two panel members certainly would be helpful, but won't turn around a car crash interview to be scored top ranking.

Is the civil service really a flat structure? I have six layers below my role, I wouldnt say that was particularly flat. I have some people who are their manager's only direct report and they only have one direct report - though I've suggested that's a tad daft.

What do you mean there isn't a lot of headroom until you hit a ceiling? Like I've had three promotions so far, one effectively a double promotion and that was at a starting grade higher than the OP.
Reply 3
Original post by d-m1

Bit confused. You seem to be equating your degree class to suggest you should be working at a higher grade. You say you weren't selected for a grad programme or HEO/EO role, why do you think you'd magically be ready for promotion straight out of probation?

We don't know what feedback you had when unsuccessful for EO, nor indeed what EO roles you've applied for.

Progression should be a lot easier as an internal as internal candidates tend to understand the competency framework much better and tend to be better structured in answering competency based questions.

Are your examples cogent at EO level? With a 1st in law you should be better equipped than most in written/verbal communication to explain your examples. The main thing what examples do you have when covering for a team leader.
Reply 4
Original post by Quady
Bit confused. You seem to be equating your degree class to suggest you should be working at a higher grade. You say you weren't selected for a grad programme or HEO/EO role, why do you think you'd magically be ready for promotion straight out of probation?

We don't know what feedback you had when unsuccessful for EO, nor indeed what EO roles you've applied for.

Progression should be a lot easier as an internal as internal candidates tend to understand the competency framework much better and tend to be better structured in answering competency based questions.

Are your examples cogent at EO level? With a 1st in law you should be better equipped than most in written/verbal communication to explain your examples. The main thing what examples do you have when covering for a team leader.

I have been offered a HEO role and an EO role - I rejected both, due to location. That was 10 months ago, since then I have been an AO and thought I could get an alternative EO/HEO role, but have not.
Reply 5
Original post by d-m1
I have been offered a HEO role and an EO role - I rejected both, due to location. That was 10 months ago, since then I have been an AO and thought I could get an alternative EO/HEO role, but have not.

OK, so your original post is inaccurate.
You have been able to secure EO/HEO roles.
Reply 6
Original post by Quady
OK, so your original post is inaccurate.
You have been able to secure EO/HEO roles.

Haha, good point. The EO role was offered whilst I was working as an AO, but the HEO role was via DAS - there was no chance I was gunna take it so I forget that I was even offered it.
Reply 7
Graduating with a first in Law doesn't help you. As matter of fact, it's irrelevant so personally I wouldn't bother shouting about that.

You've been given some leadership experience covering your TL which pretty much says enough in itself no? They clearly trust you and see something in you. I'm CS and take it from me - I've seen crap people given crap jobs/ not given the chance to do anything more than the bare minimum so don't make that dishearten you.

If we are being realistic here - you've spent 10 months in post (6 months of that would have been in probation). I think you need to lower your estimation a little bit (having the degree doesn't make progression a given). Keep volunteering yourself up for decent stuff, join any staff networks that are relevant to you. I don't know what department you're in but quite a few have talent and development branches who can advise on mentoring etc.

Also keep applying for internal/ across govt. roles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending