The Student Room Group

Bizarre question that needs an answer

Right, so I've pretty much got an A in History and an A in English Combined (hopefully when my results come in). This means I'll have two levels at A grade, so they'd be sorted. However, my confidence in my third A Level is low at best, so I'm here to ask a question. Next year I intend to fast track an A Level, English Literature to be precise, but I have a couple of questions. I think if I apply myself, I can get an A in Literature meaning, again with incredible optimism, this means I'll have 3 A's. This in terms of a concept is wonderful in my own head, but it is actually possible? Would I be able to fast track it and would I be able to do it? Could I fast track English Literature, get a good grade and still go to a Russell Group? Can you even take Literature and Combined? Sorry, I'm so lost, and all help will be massively appreciated.
Right, with fast tracking it depends if you intend to be a full time student or a part time... being a full time student is a damn sight cheaper as you only pay for one year. However, that does mean you will have to pick up two other AS levels...but it depends what your college says.

The college I went to told me precisely "if you want to do one fast track then part time will cost you about £85 a term as apposed to being a full time student paying £45 for the year....this is because fitting in a part time student is a lot harder than a full time as classes can be generated with a computer, but not for part timers"..... basically you have three choices

1) Fast track and pick up another two AS to go full time, earn extra UCAS points and save money
2) Stick with the grade you get and go to Uni
3) Fast track and do one topic but pay more

As for combined I have no idea as every college is different

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't.
Reply 2
Original post by CerysCole95
Right, with fast tracking it depends if you intend to be a full time student or a part time... being a full time student is a damn sight cheaper as you only pay for one year. However, that does mean you will have to pick up two other AS levels...but it depends what your college says.

The college I went to told me precisely "if you want to do one fast track then part time will cost you about £85 a term as apposed to being a full time student paying £45 for the year....this is because fitting in a part time student is a lot harder than a full time as classes can be generated with a computer, but not for part timers"..... basically you have three choices

1) Fast track and pick up another two AS to go full time, earn extra UCAS points and save money
2) Stick with the grade you get and go to Uni
3) Fast track and do one topic but pay more

As for combined I have no idea as every college is different

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't.

It's a big help, didn't know that I'd have to pick up two other AS Levels but I wasn't thinking pragmatically I suppose. Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated, believe me.
Original post by dan2901
It's a big help, didn't know that I'd have to pick up two other AS Levels but I wasn't thinking pragmatically I suppose. Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated, believe me.

You're welcome :smile:

Good luck with your exams
Reply 4
Original post by CerysCole95
You're welcome :smile:

Good luck with your exams

The same to you!
There is really no point in doing English lit if you already have the combined A level. There is far too much overlap for universities to count them as separate subjects. Choose something different.

Quick Reply

Latest