The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Computers are so not fair!

My handwriting is very hard to read when I write fast but no one has ever offered me extra time?

My friend has pretty much illegible handwriting and neither has she? (Honestly it's almost impossible to read)

Plus one of the worst things in English exams is not being able to change sections easily which you could totally do with a computer.

IMO everyone should get to use a computer it's 2014!
I totally agree that a lot of people need extra time and pc use or whatever but there's a girl in my school who has tendonitis so she picks when she'll use a computer and when she'll hand write (she might also get extra time, not sure). It does seem a bit unfair considering that she'll type for exams where being able to put down a lot of words quickly is key and she can type faster than anyone can hand write anything. Also her handwriting is appalling so I daresay that may motivate her to type in some exams (not that fair considering a lot of people have bad handwriting and might prefer knowing the examiner will definitely be able to read every word).

Also at our school they use microsoft word, they don't have internet, not sure about spell check.
Reply 22
Original post by contradicta
Computers are so not fair!

My handwriting is very hard to read when I write fast but no one has ever offered me extra time?

My friend has pretty much illegible handwriting and neither has she? (Honestly it's almost impossible to read)

Plus one of the worst things in English exams is not being able to change sections easily which you could totally do with a computer.

IMO everyone should get to use a computer it's 2014!

Lol I kind of agree with you. I don't do English though so I don't really know what its like so i imagine your wrists are sore after the exam but I'll be honest, I only use a PC because only one of my teachers during the a2 course complained and not the others or any of my as teachers although maths doesn't really require a lot of writing though and I like to do chem in the question paper. It is probably good for bio because they have essay questions and Editting is pretty great. And plus when I'm at full speed I probably am typing faster but only slightly but I definetly use less energy typing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
The concept of timed examinations is stupid and should be abolished. If only people were judged on their ability to answer a question as opposed to handling pressure.
Those that sit an exam will either be able to answer a question or not.
The whole point of extra time is so it puts people with a disability on the same as those who don't!

You shouldn't be looking at it as if you're disadvantaged, you should see yourself as advantaged for not having a disability for gods sake! -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's fair if it's for a valid reason. But someone at my school gets extra time because their writing is TOO neat and thus they fail to finish the exam in normal conditions. Bit silly if you ask me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arithmeticae
It's not like you have the internet enabled or anything, you literally just have a rudimentary version of Wordpad (with everything disabled except from the word processing functionality). Simply having a computer won't help you at all if you don't know what you're talking about.

Not at all. Exams are to text intelligence, not how neat your writing is or how fast you can get stuff down.

Admittedly, some people may just appeal for extra time despite not having any real provision to, but that's more of a problem with the testing system than anything else. If the conditions for extra time were stricter, less people would manage to blag extra time when they don't really need it.

Yes, having a laptop doesn't magically make you an A* student if you're originally at a C grade, but it does help massively. I type so much faster than I write, it's less painful and it's easier to correct things. I think people should only be allowed to use a laptop if they genuinely can't write/have a medical condition.

Original post by TheBigJosh
In some circumstances, (medical mainly) then extra time should be granted etc.
It's when people bend the system, with ''depression'', ''exam anxiety'' etc that really irritates me.

True, a lot of people have 'exam anxiety' (it's really just stress), but they have to cope with it.

Original post by ThaeyrynTheDwarf
My friend uses a laptop in some exams due to poor handwriting, and I feel that it is totally fair as he is way smarter than be, and it would be unfair to mark him down and prevent him from getting the grades he needs due to handwriting. Although he does want to be a doctor so the handwriting fits! XD I agree tho that in a reading exam that you shouldn't have a reader, unless you need one due to disability.

It's not really unfair to 'prevent him from getting the grades he needs due to handwriting'. Handwriting is a skill, just as important as scientific knowledge (if not more important), which is perfected through practice. I used to write really slow, so I used to practice writing faster by copying out passages from books. It was boring and tiring as hell, but it was what needed to be done. If you think about jobs and the real world, you wouldn't get special consideration due to poor handwriting, would you? Admittedly, people use computers a lot more, but handwriting is still a skill which is extremely important.
I use a laptop, but that is because I have a disability - so without the laptop, my written work misses key words and stuff because I think quicker than I write so it just looks stupid. If I take longer and think properly, it takes up a lot of time, which is why I'm allowed a laptop.

Not everyone should have a laptop. My laptop I use has only wordpad on and can't connect to the Internet. If anything, I make more spelling mistakes via typos which I wouldn't normally make when writing. And if everybody used laptops, those with genuine disabilities are once again at a disadvantage. The current system isn't perfect, but it's better than the alternatives. Maybe if the schools had to provide evidence to the exam board, then it would be a different story.
I had exam stress, an extension of social anxiety. I was allowed to be in a room on my own, because the anxiety stemmed from being in the hall with lots of people around. It didn't give me any advantage, just meant that I could finish the exam like everyone else - hence the term, 'reasonable adjustment'.
Original post by WillWalker23
And if everybody used laptops, those with genuine disabilities are once again at a disadvantage.

Agree with some of your others points but I was wondering how would everyone being allowed to use a laptop put people who really need laptops at a disadvantage ?
Original post by A*Will
But I know for a fact in some circumstances in my school, people using computers are able to use word with internet connected and can use a thesaurus etc. Maybe it is just the exam board that need to realise they are being mugs!

If this is happening then it is cheating. The school should not allow it to happen. The majority of people with a word processor are only cleared to have one with basic typing. A few people have permission for a word processor with spell check but there is nothing to allow anyone internet access or a thesaurus.
I get to use a computer during my exams as well. I managed to get through GCSEs by handwriting, but my handwriting deteriorated over time and I have to write considerably more for my AS and A2 exams. Its gotten to the point where writing for more than twenty minutes is very painful. I also can type faster and have my work be legible, than having illegible hand written answers. At my school, we have to use a restricted computer account, no internet connection, and Microsoft Word has been restricted down to the bare parts, so it is basically like WordPad.

I think people should be allowed these special requirements. It is fair, because some people are at a disadvantage when sitting an exam. The extra time, scribes, and computers help give them a chance.
Original post by Gorwell
My school is a bit biased when it comes to giving out free time... one girl in my year got more time as her mum is a parent governer?! She claims her daughter has 'exam anxiety' but in reality she doesn't and loves to brag about the fact we all have to finish the exam before her.

Exam anxiety is not a legitimate reason for extra time under the JCQ rules so, if she does get extra time, it must have been claimed for some other reason.
This is all very interesting. I would have loved the opportunity to do some of my written exams at GCSE on computer, like History and English. I can write at an average speed, but in exam pressure, it's difficult to write at that speed and write without making mistakes, which means crossing out quite frequently.

My only concern with having computers for more people/everyone is that there is huge variance in typing speeds, whereas writing speeds are fairly similar for everyone. I can type at around 115 WPM, and I think the average is around 65WPM, so people who are more-experienced typists and who can touch-type etc. could have an advantage.

However, I suppose if examiners don't change their marking methods, this would be fine, because most people who work hard get the grades they deserve, and only a few miss out on the top grades because of exam pressures or disadvantages because of writing difficulties.
Original post by GingerCodeMan
This is all very interesting. I would have loved the opportunity to do some of my written exams at GCSE on computer, like History and English. I can write at an average speed, but in exam pressure, it's difficult to write at that speed and write without making mistakes, which means crossing out quite frequently.

My only concern with having computers for more people/everyone is that there is huge variance in typing speeds, whereas writing speeds are fairly similar for everyone. I can type at around 115 WPM, and I think the average is around 65WPM, so people who are more-experienced typists and who can touch-type etc. could have an advantage.

However, I suppose if examiners don't change their marking methods, this would be fine, because most people who work hard get the grades they deserve, and only a few miss out on the top grades because of exam pressures or disadvantages because of writing difficulties.

But the thing is, people who can touch-type/type very fast aren't magically born with the talent, they have to work hard to gain it, so they deserve an advantage. It's only a disadvantage if other people can't gain the ability to type fast, not if they won't. It's like exams in general: everyone can do well if they work extremely hard, but some people might not do well because they don't. Aren't exams also meant to prepare you for life? Well in real-life jobs, you also need to be able to use computers effectively and type fast, especially if you're in an office job.

I do agree that some factors mean that exams aren't a completely accurate judgement of a person's knowledge, but I suppose it's still a fair way of judging because everyone's under the same conditions (well, technically). I think exams such as English shouldn't have such strict time limits since they're meant to test creativity, which is something that can't be 'forced' out of someone in a set time - great ideas come randomly, and rarely in such a high-pressure situation as an exam.
Original post by MrVirtuoso
But the thing is, people who can touch-type/type very fast aren't magically born with the talent, they have to work hard to gain it, so they deserve an advantage. It's only a disadvantage if other people can't gain the ability to type fast, not if they won't. It's like exams in general: everyone can do well if they work extremely hard, but some people might not do well because they don't. Aren't exams also meant to prepare you for life? Well in real-life jobs, you also need to be able to use computers effectively and type fast, especially if you're in an office job.

I do agree that some factors mean that exams aren't a completely accurate judgement of a person's knowledge, but I suppose it's still a fair way of judging because everyone's under the same conditions (well, technically). I think exams such as English shouldn't have such strict time limits since they're meant to test creativity, which is something that can't be 'forced' out of someone in a set time - great ideas come randomly, and rarely in such a high-pressure situation as an exam.

I advocate preparing for typing in real life rather than preparing for massive pieces of writing as I'm a Computing (and Maths and Physics) student, so the idea of having all that typing paying off would be amazing.
Agree with some of your others points but I was wondering how would everyone being allowed to use a laptop put people who really need laptops at a disadvantage ?

It would uneven the playing field again. It's like giving people without disabilities the exact same time as people with disabilities to complete the exam. Whether or not it would actually result in the disabled students being disadvantaged is different since these things aren't black and white. However, I imagine that is where the train of thought comes from.
I applied for extra time because I have been very ill in my school years, and lost a significant amount of school time, I am anaemic and have low blood pressure so find my self falling asleep and collapsing quite abit during the day and I also have reoccurring cystitis which means I have to go to the toilet a lot even if I don't need it, and it is extremely painful, of course this is annoying but not something that effects my exams significantly, I don't think I should be eligible for extra time as I can deal with it, I only applied because I heard people qualify for extra time with ridiculous petty reasons and quite honestly I think they should get a grip when people like me get no support. (and I guess rightly so) I guess it is unjust that some unworthy people get special consideration however if someone genuinely feels they are at a disadvantage in an exam I guess it is reasonable.
Exams test your brain not your tolerance of inconveniences, so people should not be awarded extra marks, time or support for dealing with minor issues when everyone literally speaking could make some bull**** excuse up. Reward people for being intelligent and not being easily distracted by illnesses etc. It's a cruel world out there and jobs won't sympathize with someone who cannot work in a certain time frame or attend work due to illness.
On the other hand I truly hope everyone gets the grades they deserve despite all the controversy. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Because the fact that some people have laptops is because they write too slowly, so if everybody had a laptop they would once again be at a disadvantage because other people would be able to go quickly.

Tbh I don't think it should happen. If it does, then it will have to be Wordpad or notepad.

Saying that it would make it easier. All exam stuff should've been digitalised ages ago. There's so much paper used up and consumed with them. It would be better to have a question booklet and then use recycled lined paper for answers. Or, then use a computer and keep everything digital.
I get to use a laptop and extra time, and I am not an idiot therefore I win my GCSEs :biggrin:

Latest