The Student Room Group

Extra time in assignments and exams

Hello,

I currently get 25% extra time due to a neuro-developmental condition I have but I don’t feel it is enough and I’d like to increase it.

Is there such a thing as getting more than 25% or is that the bog standard? Could I even possibly get it raised to 50%? And would this likely be a long, drawn out process?
Original post by Windandrain
Hello,

I currently get 25% extra time due to a neuro-developmental condition I have but I don’t feel it is enough and I’d like to increase it.

Is there such a thing as getting more than 25% or is that the bog standard? Could I even possibly get it raised to 50%? And would this likely be a long, drawn out process?

You can get more than 25% but what does your diagnosis recommend?
Original post by Muttley79
You can get more than 25% but what does your diagnosis recommend?

I don’t know what you mean?

I was diagnosed with it as a child and I’ve had extra time my whole through school like in my GCSEs and a levels, all at 25%

I don’t know what the experts would say, but I struggle even with the 25%
I don’t know what you mean?

I was diagnosed with it as a child and I’ve had extra time my whole through school like in my GCSEs and a levels, all at 25%

I don’t know what the experts would say, but I struggle even with the 25%

When you were diagnosed there would have been a document saying what adjustments woule be needed. I've been a SENCo and that is what I've always gone by.
When you were diagnosed there would have been a document saying what adjustments woule be needed. I've been a SENCo and that is what I've always gone by.

Ah okay. Yeah I’m sure my documents at school would have said I’m entitled to 25% extra time.

when I left school and went to college, they transferred my documents over and I’ve continued to get the extra 25% at further education and higher education level.

it’s just a problem for me. I don’t think it’s enough for me anymore and I personally feel I need to increase it. I don’t know if it’s due to my condition or if it’s just me in general, but sometimes I read a task/question and it takes me ages to work it out and then I run out of time, I sometimes struggle to interpret the meaning of things.

can I ask the learning support officer at my college if I can have it increased to 50%? Is it just a case of them saying yes then its implemented automatically or does it have to go through a whole big and long process? And is there a chance they could say no?
Ah okay. Yeah I’m sure my documents at school would have said I’m entitled to 25% extra time.

when I left school and went to college, they transferred my documents over and I’ve continued to get the extra 25% at further education and higher education level.

it’s just a problem for me. I don’t think it’s enough for me anymore and I personally feel I need to increase it. I don’t know if it’s due to my condition or if it’s just me in general, but sometimes I read a task/question and it takes me ages to work it out and then I run out of time, I sometimes struggle to interpret the meaning of things.

can I ask the learning support officer at my college if I can have it increased to 50%? Is it just a case of them saying yes then its implemented automatically or does it have to go through a whole big and long process? And is there a chance they could say no?

I think you'd need to be reassessed - that would be worth it if you plan to go to university. What happens in class tests? They'd need evidence that 25% isn't enough to make it a level playing field..

Do you get rest breaks? That would be easier to arrange.
Hello,

Hello,

I am also diagnosed with a ND disorder (ASD) and a deficit in my working memory. My student support plan indicates I get 25%. However, it is possible to get 50%. Speak to your disability advisor and if you are at university, go through the disability assessment and mention your difficulties with the 25%. They may add extra time on top of that and/or they may give you resources to help you within exam condition (for example, all of my exams are written on a computer, and I am entitled to a scribe due to my eyesight).

Hope this helps.

Mashpotatoes.
I think you'd need to be reassessed - that would be worth it if you plan to go to university. What happens in class tests? They'd need evidence that 25% isn't enough to make it a level playing field..

Do you get rest breaks? That would be easier to arrange.

No don’t get rest breaks. I just get 25% in class tests, exams and assignments.

I feel that I need 50% in assignments, class tests and exams
No don’t get rest breaks. I just get 25% in class tests, exams and assignments.

I feel that I need 50% in assignments, class tests and exams

Talk to the SENCo - it's rare to have more than 25% tbh. I don't want to go into detials but their issues have been complex and have often needed an amanuensis.
Update: they said they can’t grant me 50% extra time as it’s reserved for people who have exceptional circumstances and learning difficulties so I don’t meet the criteria :frown:
What do they class as exceptional circs? And can you ask for more than 25% if they can’t provide 50%?
Original post by zokaizer
What do they class as exceptional circs? And can you ask for more than 25% if they can’t provide 50%?

Not sure think it has to be extreme learning difficulties and physical ailments e.g loss of a hand or something like that
Ask for rest breaks. I have ASD and they help so much even if you don't think you need them
Reply 13
Original post by zokaizer

I have 50%. I think it's because I have a health condition in addition to a learning disability, which makes me eligible for 25% twice, so they just transfer it into 50% (I think, I am not really sure tbh).

Quick Reply

Latest