The Student Room Group

dyslexia in levels???

Im like 99% sure I have dyslexia however im not diagnosed and wonder whether it is worth trying to get a diagnosis in year 12 or is there no point now?
Original post by sg.0
Im like 99% sure I have dyslexia however im not diagnosed and wonder whether it is worth trying to get a diagnosis in year 12 or is there no point now?

Coming from a dyslexic myself I would say that for your own peace of mind it is 100% worth it. Especially if it means you will be getting resources to help support you ( like extra time in exams/tests, computers to type on, overlays or coloured paper etc. If you are not already receiving that of cources.
Reply 2
it may be different depending on where you're from and your ski but did they just test you in school and end of. I dont want like an on going process with a big fuss
Reply 3
Original post by sg.0

i am completly the same, im also in yr 12 and convinced i have some form of dyslexia, i know it isnt extreen dyslexia because I can read fine, but in that same reading I shorten down words so I wont have to "read" the whole word bc sometimes a word is just too long. And I am terrible at spelling and writing down my ideas in my head into a page (although that has been slightly better with me trying to write a book but education wise it is still terrible). I also told the sixth form I am at and they said I seem normal and my results are back normal, also above avarage, but I know im not at my potentioal so I dont know either. Like is it wronge for a school to be saying stuff like that? Is it not? idk if that made sence to you I can try reword it if that would help, but basically I am stuck in the exact same situation as you
Original post by sg.0
it may be different depending on where you're from and your ski but did they just test you in school and end of. I dont want like an on going process with a big fuss

I'm from Scotland, I was diagnosed in primary school so it might be a bit different. but honestly I do think it is quite a long process from what I remember you will have people coming in to talk to you and like be given tests and stuff to see your ability in sertain aspects like reading writing spelling etc
I was recommended I go for a test/diagnosis back in my first year of Uni. I didn’t bother with it in the end & I’m now a few months of graduating!

my only advice would be leaving the support system of your family when leaving home after sixth form can be tough to navigate. If you think you’re going to worry about it in the future, get it done whilst you have the support / resources at your disposal.
Reply 6
Original post by Tatakae L
i am completly the same, im also in yr 12 and convinced i have some form of dyslexia, i know it isnt extreen dyslexia because I can read fine, but in that same reading I shorten down words so I wont have to "read" the whole word bc sometimes a word is just too long. And I am terrible at spelling and writing down my ideas in my head into a page (although that has been slightly better with me trying to write a book but education wise it is still terrible). I also told the sixth form I am at and they said I seem normal and my results are back normal, also above avarage, but I know im not at my potentioal so I dont know either. Like is it wronge for a school to be saying stuff like that? Is it not? idk if that made sence to you I can try reword it if that would help, but basically I am stuck in the exact same situation as you

idk you would like to think that the school would offer actual support and stuff like that. maybe not like extra time as you can read fine. but still maybe coloured paper or stuff like that may help you im not sure. however im nearly the opposite I hate reading because im slow and struggle with it but my spelling is okay I get letters mixed up like I often find myself writing n/m or c/s and I always write like god when I mean dog and vice versa but idk 🤷*♀️
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous 543
I'm from Scotland, I was diagnosed in primary school so it might be a bit different. but honestly I do think it is quite a long process from what I remember you will have people coming in to talk to you and like be given tests and stuff to see your ability in sertain aspects like reading writing spelling etc

okay thanks for your help
Reply 8
Original post by sg.0
idk you would like to think that the school would offer actual support and stuff like that. maybe not like extra time as you can read fine. but still maybe coloured paper or stuff like that may help you im not sure. however im nearly the opposite I hate reading because im slow and struggle with it but my spelling is okay I get letters mixed up like I often find myself writing n/m or c/s and I always write like god when I mean dog and vice versa but idk 🤷*♀️

i completly understand with the writing part, and tbh i am not even doing ti for the extra time because I know I dont need it, but becasue I am trying to go into medicine as a career I dont want to be struggling because I never got tested you know. But then there is the factor that I am scared to get tested bc what if it comes back negative and it just turns out im stupid😭. Honest I feel like school should provide more for kids because its so difficult
Reply 9
i completly understand with the writing part, and tbh i am not even doing ti for the extra time because I know I dont need it, but becasue I am trying to go into medicine as a career I dont want to be struggling because I never got tested you know. But then there is the factor that I am scared to get tested bc what if it comes back negative and it just turns out im stupid😭. Honest I feel like school should provide more for kids because its so difficult

honestly I was talking to my friend earlier saying imagine if its negative and they say im actually just stupid. likewise I wanna go into medicine/ pathology but in gases I was very very average I got 5s a 6 and a 7 so recon that's out the window but delusion is telling me if I do well in alevel and have good work experience gcses won't matter too much 😬. but im so scared ab it being negative cuz like what happens then? literally nothing other than I've just been told im stupid🫣
Original post by sg.0
honestly I was talking to my friend earlier saying imagine if its negative and they say im actually just stupid. likewise I wanna go into medicine/ pathology but in gases I was very very average I got 5s a 6 and a 7 so recon that's out the window but delusion is telling me if I do well in alevel and have good work experience gcses won't matter too much 😬. but im so scared ab it being negative cuz like what happens then? literally nothing other than I've just been told im stupid🫣

this is my exact fear, and i know it is so mental to think this way but its litteraly my mind set because what if i am just stupid. although i do suspect i have some form of adhd too i just dont knowww.
Reply 11
this is my exact fear, and i know it is so mental to think this way but its litteraly my mind set because what if i am just stupid. although i do suspect i have some form of adhd too i just dont knowww.

yeh I have hear sometimes adhd is sometimes confused with dyslexia I think its mainly something to do with the concentration. however if I go for a dyslexia test I hope they like up on my other "traits" bc I also have a few adhd signs and my siblings have it
Original post by sg.0

My son got officially diagnosed with Dyslexia in Yr 7. He’s gone from being classed as ‘years’ behind in primary school, to being predicted A’s and B’s in his GCSE’s. Once you have the ‘statement’ (they’ve changed this recently but it’s the same thing), the school, college and Uni give you extra help. For his exams he has a scribe and extra time.

Quick Reply

Latest