The Student Room Group

CV advice

Hi, I am currently in sixth form and looking for a job, my old CV I have is from high school and so is a bit dated and so it can no longer be used, that being said, I do not for the life of me know where to begin, I was wondering if anybody had any advice as to what employers expect from young people, what achievements they would be interested in, etc.
Reply 1
Original post by MathsEnjoyer
Hi, I am currently in sixth form and looking for a job, my old CV I have is from high school and so is a bit dated and so it can no longer be used, that being said, I do not for the life of me know where to begin, I was wondering if anybody had any advice as to what employers expect from young people, what achievements they would be interested in, etc.

Don't get rid of your old cv, but rather recycle it, mention these things:

Contact Details
Subjects + Grades
Skills
Work Experience: Volunteering, jobs etc, challenges, extra courses
Hobbies and Interests

Employers want to see evidence of relevant skills to do the job they are offering. So you can't think of a CV as 'my sixth form CV', you have to have 'my Tesco shelf stacker CV' and My Waterstones book seller CV' and 'my dog walker CV', because they are all different jobs requiring different skills.

Read the job advert and extract (or research) the specific skills required to do the job.
With a list of those skills in front of you, write down all the evidence you've got to show you have those skills.
Turn those examples into bullet points that begin with a relevant verb and give the reader some idea of the scale and scope
Reshuffle the bullet points into a Chronological CV based on the headings Education Experience and Interests.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Employers want to see evidence of relevant skills to do the job they are offering. So you can't think of a CV as 'my sixth form CV', you have to have 'my Tesco shelf stacker CV' and My Waterstones book seller CV' and 'my dog walker CV', because they are all different jobs requiring different skills.

Read the job advert and extract (or research) the specific skills required to do the job.
With a list of those skills in front of you, write down all the evidence you've got to show you have those skills.
Turn those examples into bullet points that begin with a relevant verb and give the reader some idea of the scale and scope
Reshuffle the bullet points into a Chronological CV based on the headings Education Experience and Interests.

Ah ok, that does make sense, thank you for the advice! I was curious though, can you mention relevant academic things if they relate? I am looking at hotel and restaurant roles at the moment, and because of the team work/social side to it, I was thinking about mentioning that I have participated in a couple maths tournaments in the past in teams of 4, and have come decently high due to the quality of the teamwork. Would things like this be relevant, or is it better to add in more real world examples? I ask because I am a huge maths nerd so a lot of my time is doing things like that, so if I could link it in, that would be great, but I fear by adding that 'I did this maths thing and so on and so forth' could make it seem irrelevant, but it would be great if that would work, because then I would have lots more examples. In addition, in high school, I did a lot of community stuff as a prefect, would it be good to mention those things, because they are from around a year ago so I was worried they might not be viewed as relevant at the current moment, as I opted out of being a prefect this year to focus all of my time and effort into A level studies (In Y12 currently).
Ah ok, that does make sense, thank you for the advice! I was curious though, can you mention relevant academic things if they relate? I am looking at hotel and restaurant roles at the moment, and because of the team work/social side to it, I was thinking about mentioning that I have participated in a couple maths tournaments in the past in teams of 4, and have come decently high due to the quality of the teamwork. Would things like this be relevant, or is it better to add in more real world examples? I ask because I am a huge maths nerd so a lot of my time is doing things like that, so if I could link it in, that would be great, but I fear by adding that 'I did this maths thing and so on and so forth' could make it seem irrelevant, but it would be great if that would work, because then I would have lots more examples. In addition, in high school, I did a lot of community stuff as a prefect, would it be good to mention those things, because they are from around a year ago so I was worried they might not be viewed as relevant at the current moment, as I opted out of being a prefect this year to focus all of my time and effort into A level studies (In Y12 currently).

Maths teamwork, maybe not so much, because the skills required to be in a maths team are probably not the skills required to be in a waitering/service team. Being a prefect - perfect - all sorts of responsibility, planning, presenting, talking to adults you don't know etc.

Think skills, not activities.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
Maths teamwork, maybe not so much, because the skills required to be in a maths team are probably not the skills required to be in a waitering/service team. Being a prefect - perfect - all sorts of responsibility, planning, presenting, talking to adults you don't know etc.

Think skills, not activities.

Ah ok, that makes more sense, thank you so much for the advice! :smile:
Reply 6
If you want a restaurant/hotel job involving bills/receipts etc. then the maths is a great asset as simple arithmetic proficiency will be of use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending