The Student Room Group

Is this a good response for AQA English GCSE

The chapter begins with the narrators discussion of Marleys death.
Q: why do you think dickens opens the novella in this way?

Dickens is preparing to read different. An introduction of Marley‘s ghost. “Marley is dead, to begin with” helps the audience understand the significance of his appearance later in the novel and Scrooges reason for his reaction. “to begin with “also helps the reader to become more intrigued for what Marley‘s future in holds even though he is dead.
Original post by Franmann
The chapter begins with the narrators discussion of Marleys death.
Q: why do you think dickens opens the novella in this way?
Dickens is preparing to read different. An introduction of Marley‘s ghost. “Marley is dead, to begin with” helps the audience understand the significance of his appearance later in the novel and Scrooges reason for his reaction. “to begin with “also helps the reader to become more intrigued for what Marley‘s future in holds even though he is dead.

I hope you don't mind me editing a bit...

Dickens first introduces Marley in a short, abrupt way, alluding to the reader “Marley is dead, to begin with” This exposes the significance of his appearance later in the novel and Scrooge's reason for his reaction. Moreover, the sinister tone of “to begin with" intrigues the reader about what Marley‘s future holds despite the concept of his death.

You could also add more and explore the emotive word of "dead" which shocks the readers and explain how so!!

I would say to use this structure:
P - Point
E - Evidence
T - Technique
A - Analysis

Furthermore, your take on the question is great! Just a few extra elements you could add to spice up your writing!
I hope his helps!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending