The Student Room Group

DSA Irlen

Hi, I have IRLEN syndrome and have all the paperwork from when i was in school which grants me extra time, coloured paper, a reader (computer and Pen) and a laptop and such things. DSA have gotten back to me with my outcome of this evidence and have basically said they dont support Irlen. How do i get the support because i need these things for my course and i cant finacially afford them
Reply 1
I would contact your uni to see what they can offer you.
In the best way possible, regardless of IRLEN, you would need most of those things for a uni course anyway and so most unis would expect you to fund that yourself. Even with DSA you don’t get a free laptop you have to pay a contribution. Coloured paper is a reasonable adjustment for the uni to deal with when doing exams etc, same with extra time.
Again a reader in an exam is something a uni would provide, even with DSA it’s so unlikely you would get funding for a permanent reader either way.
Original post by ellienicholas500
Hi, I have IRLEN syndrome and have all the paperwork from when i was in school which grants me extra time, coloured paper, a reader (computer and Pen) and a laptop and such things. DSA have gotten back to me with my outcome of this evidence and have basically said they dont support Irlen. How do i get the support because i need these things for my course and i cant finacially afford them

If you've been medically diagnosed by a doctor, I'm not sure how they can refuse to support you. Though looking online, there's some dispute about the existence of the disorder, which may be why they don't cover it. It's a shame that you can't get the support you need, but I don't think there's much else you can do, other than maybe getting a low interest loan to buy what you need.

Quick Reply

Latest